Reload this Page >

Olympic National Park

Search

Olympic National Park

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 02:22 PM
M&J

Olympic National Park

We just returned from a brief trip (flew in/out Portland). Went to Olympic National Park and were enchanted with the Hoh Rain Forest. There are several walking trails, from a quarter mile to 1 1/4 miles---the moss so thick it was like the mane of horses. Golden hues of yellow and green, filter sunlight from 150 ft high trees---wonder.
And, if it rains---it normally doesn't last long. Bring some rain gear. It is a rain forest !

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 03:14 PM
sheri

Thanks for the wonderful description of one of my favorite places! Just a small point of clarification: there are actually longer trails as well, including the Hoh River trail, which goes about 18 miles to Glacier Meadows, near Mt. Olympus. But you can also hike just part of it for a nice day hike; my last time out there I went about 5 or 6 miles in, then turned around, for a nice 10-12 mile day hike. The crowds really thin out, too, once you go a couple miles from the visitors center.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 04:44 AM
hsravis

I hope your trip to Olympic NP also included at least Hurricane Ridge and some of the beaches, as well.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 11:39 AM
M&J

We explored a couple of beaches. One was Ruby Beach---when we walked on the ocean smoothed rocks, it was like walking on an echo !
Then, at our lodge, in the morning an eagle landed on a tall Sitka overlooking an inlet----what an experience....early morning, ocean surf, sun rising and an eagle. WOW

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 02:11 PM
howard

"Like walking on an echo".....Beautiful. My compliments for a perfect word picture to describe Olympic's beaches.