Olympic National Park

Feb 13th, 2019, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Olympic National Park

Hi. Planning a summer vacation, mid July, for my wife and I (late 50's) at Olympic National Park. Although we will have a total of 7 or 8 nights we also will be spending some time in Seattle with family. I'm expecting that we will spend 3 or 4 nights in Olympic. Could use some advice on where to stay and where to go. We will have a car and driving from Seattle. We are good with Seattle since we have visited there several times and also had the opportunity to visit and stay at Mt. Ranier and Port Townsend.

In a perfect world we would get to see the Hoh Rain Forrest,Rialto beach, Sol Duc Hot Springs,Lake Crescent, Ruby Beach, Hurricane Ridge, and Lake Quinault. We prefer to stay right in the park and enjoy moderate to easy hiking.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, W
Feb 13th, 2019, 05:59 PM
mms

Those are all great ideas. You will want to stay in at least two different locations though as the park is so spread out that it is not feasible to stay in just one place.

We do do a lot of hiking over there and can make some personal suggestions but what do you consider moderate etc?

Lodging fills up fast for the ONP so get that booked ASAP. Three locations is better than two to cut down on backtracking.
Feb 14th, 2019, 02:55 PM

We stayed at the Lake Crescent Lodge for a couple of nights and enjoyed it. Beautiful lake and some nice hiking, including a hike to a waterfall. They had good food; you have to make a reservation for dinner if you want to eat in the dining room. We didn't know that our first night, and they told us they were booked up so we could eat at the bar. Food is good there. The rooms in the lodge do not have private bathrooms so we booked in a Pyramid Mountain Room. It was easy to get to Hurricane Ridge from there. There were canoes and kayaks available for rental at the lake. Lots of deer around. We paired it with a trip to Friday Harbor.
Feb 16th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Thanks.
For hiking, we are looking for anything between 1-4 hours and isn't all uphill on tough terrain. We have done our share our hiking at Glacier, Banff, Mt. Ranier and have had plenty of difficult but not extremely difficult hikes. In terms of lodging, one of the places that looked appealing to me was Lake Quinault lodge which currently has availability for our dates. What do you think about this? And if so, if we should also be staying somewhere else, based on the above, where would you recommend? The Hoh rain forest is a must for us and I value your opinions on what are some other must sees and how to coordinate amongst our time. Thanks again, W.