Old South - Trip Report: Charlottesville, VA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following is one section of a longer report on our 2-week driving trip from Connecticut covering Richmond VA, Asheville NC, Savannah GA, Atlanta GA, Chattanooga TN, Winston-Salem, NC and Charlottesville, VA. Please click on my name to see other sections of the report.

Our final destination was Charlottesville. We arrived at mid-day and headed straight to the Monticello Visitors Center. We checked out the displays, watched the introductory video and purchased "Presidents Passes" to Monticello, Michie Tavern and Ash Lawn Highland. From there we head to James Monroe's house, Ash Lawn Highland for a tour. It was a worthwhile visit and a great way to learn about our 5th president. From there, we stopped at Michie Tavern but our timing wasn't right for a tour so we checked out the large gift shop there and headed downtown to the University of Virginia for a tour. The UVA tour is basically of the old Rotunda designed by Thomas Jefferson. Our student guide made an informed presentation interdispersed with humerous anecdotes about student life over the years. From there we headed to our hotel, the Doubletree on the north side of Charlottesville to check in. We had a room on the Club Floor. The first room we saw had a strong odor of sour milk or vomit so we requested another and they moved us. The room was spacious and well appointed. After we checked in, we headed back downtown to C&O, a small French restaurant with excellent food and a quaint atmosphere.

We started the last full day of our southern trip at Monticello. We arrived at about 8:15 AM and were shuttled to the house tour which was followed by a garden tour at 9:15 AM and the Mulberry Row (slave quarters) tour at 10. After the tours we visited the kitchen area and the wine cellar then took the short trail past Jefferson's grave site to the parking lot. All-in-all it was a great morning - our tour guides were excellent and we learned a lot. We stopped at Michie Tavern and arrived in time for a tour this time. Michie Tavern is somewhat interactive. You get to try out some nonalchoholic punch, use a quill pen, dance the Virginia Reel and pick a black or white bean to see if you get deported from Scotland or shot. After Michie Tavern we drove about 45 minutes to James Madison's Montpelier. The home is being restored to return it to how it was during Madison's time. The restoration tour and accompanying Power Point presentation were actually quite fascinating. There was a short video on Madison and reproductions of two of Montpelier's rooms at the Education Center as well. Our final stop was at nearby Barboursville Vineyards for a tasting - didn't really try anything special but felt it worthwhile to stop as Virginia winemaking goes back to Jefferson's time. Dinner that night was at a Latin place called Pupusa Crazy almost directly across the street from the entrance to the road leading to the Doubletree. The place was empty but we enjoyed our friendly waiter and the restaurants Nicoraguan speciaties.

This is the final installment in our Old South trip report. Please feel free to post if you have any questions.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Thanks for posting a trip report, Craig. You covered some territory I've covered in the past including AshLawn in Charlottesville and the White House of the Confederacy in Richmond. I've noticed you didn't get too many replies to your trip reports. One way to get them read I find is to have a catchy or sometimes controversial title: "Bored in Arlington" "You'll Never Believe What Totally Amazed Me About Atlanta" etc...
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Daniel, If you look at my history you can see that I have been posting for a long time. Those that are interested will respond. I am not looking to stir up controversy - I am just trying to "repay" the site for all of the helpful information I received prior to my trip.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:17 PM

And the trip reports are much appreciated...I enjoyed reading about what you did. Only reason I made my suggestion (a catchy title was really more my gist, not necessarily controversy) is so that the trip reports stay near the top so more people will get to read your fabulous suggestions. Thanks for "repaying" the site! Best wishes!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Here I live 15 minutes from Monticellso and have never done anything on your list---well- except watch the movie about Jefferson at the visitor's center and have eaten once at the Tavern (they serve chicken BTW)...and stopped at Barboursville to see the ruins at the winery. Your post gave me good ideas (I have only lived here a few months now and still settling in)and new things to see.

I have walked the Charlottesville Historic Mall- many great shops and if you love books- the place to go!

We did visit Waltons museum awhile back- it was a very scenic drive.

The Doubletree is very nice- I think the nicest pools- the Omni is a great location at the Historic Mall. Many lovely B&B's here in historic homes worth looking into as well.

I will have to read your other reviews-I have been to all those places you have listed- history nut that I am - loved Salem NC!

Thanks Craig for the review of Charlottesville!!