Reload this Page >

Old Lahaina Luau or The Feast of Lele??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Michelle

We are going to Maui for our 30th anniversary in July. On our anniversary I want to go to a luau. I thought that the Old Lahaina Luau and The Feast of Lele were one and the same but I guess they are not. I noticed today that the Feast of Lele is $20 more per person. I am just wondering if it is really worth spending the extra $$. We have to watch our money as our daughter is getting married in August. I want that day to be special so if it is really worth it, I am willing to pay the extra. Any comments please!!!!!
Michelle

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Stephanie

Michelle, The Old Lahaina Luau was absolutely wonderful. In fact, my husband and I just saw this particular luau included as part of "A Best Of..." type show on The Travel Channel last week. We were there in March of 2000 and I will remember it for as long as I live. Before we traveled to Hawaii, I spent many hours reading this travel talk section searching for opinions. The Old Lahaina Luau was mentioned over and over again. We made our reservations before we left. I can't tell you anything about The Feast of Lele. I remember hearing about it, but can't offer any personal advice. Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy Maui. It was the trip of a lifetime for us. Stephanie

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Wahinee

Aloha Michelle, the Old Lahaina Luau is the BEST on Maui. We just got back from the islands and have gone to this luau 3 years ago. They recently have moved the site to a different location, still in Lahaina, but I'm sure it hasn't affected the show. It is worth the $$ to experience it, as its one of the only luaus that greet you with a real flower lei. Most luaus give you a cheap shell lei. If you're worried about the $$, attend a short time-share (available through Activity Desks in Lahaina) and cut the cost way down. The food is fantastic and the hawaiian show will captivate you. All-you-can-drink cocktails add to the fun! We video taped the event; bring lots of film for awesome pictures at sunset. The Feast of Lele must not be popular, as I've never heard of it during the 5 trips we've made to Maui. Mahalo and have a super trip! Ü

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:33 PM
deb

I have just researched the same question. First, check out the website www.oldlahainaluau.com
The same company runs both and they link to the Feast there.
The feast is sit down 5 course meal.
The luau is buffet.
The feast is a show of different traditions.
The luau is "traditional hawaiian"
I haven't heard anything bad about either except that at the luau you might get stuck next to kids or annoying people and then what do you do?
You are kind of stuck. We are still trying to choose for our end of may trip, but hopefully this info helps. deb

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:38 PM
deb

Almost forgot. Feast takes place at former location of Old lahaina luau. If you are looking for a more intimate dinner then I would do the Feast, because you wont have to share your table. If you want to meet others then do the Luau.

Old May 5th, 2001, 09:40 AM
dana

Having done both, definitely the Feast at Lele, and for the person who said that it must not be popular because they've never heard of it, well, I've also been to Maui several times in the last few years and last year was the first time I've ever heard of it and that was because of a friend that lives in Lahaina told me about it. ANyway, what a treat it was to do something a little different. Old Lahaina Luau is very nice. However, if you want something a little more intimate, then the Feast is probably more to your liking. AS mentioned above, it's a 5-course dinner. Very gourmet type food too, and I loved the entertainment. The drinks, the food and the entertainment were all very good. I also liked the fact that the two of us had our very own table. At the FEast you get to have your own private table, and it was only about 200 people, whereas at the other Luaus i've attended it's more like 500, 600 people.
Yes, it's about $20 p.p. more. However, it was such a pleasant experience that I'd do it again.