NBA Finals - where to watch while in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in New York this coming week during the NBA finals. My 9 year old wont want to miss a second of the games (Ok, me neither - I love my Miami Heat!) Where can we watch the game that will be fun, but kid friendly-ish. Its OK if its a bar - but not OK if there will be a ridiculous drunkin mess of people. We are staying between midtown east and TS. Is there still the NBA restaurant in TS? The games tip off at 9 - so we wont be eating dinner - so its OK if the food isnt good - maybe a place to grab a snack or ice-cream/dessert.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Or was it a ESPN restaurant?
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Topping. On our way up!! What are good suggestions??
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 07:17 AM

I wish I knew a place to recommend. It's difficult because it's basically sports bars that would carry the games - Miami vs. OK doesn't have a ton of traction here, though it being the finals means it will be shown in bars/pubs that have a lot of screens. Tipoff at 9pm means the drinking-to-eating ratio will be high in these places. The upside is that, unless your viewing overlaps with a big NY game (not sure if the subway series Yankees vs. Mets games this weekend qualify in that regard), you won't run the risk of a "drunkin mess of people"!

I'm not sure what "between midtown east and the TS" means: anything east of TS *is* midtown east. That said, you could check out the pubs along 2nd Avenue in the 50's. Some get quite rowdy, but a place like Jameson's serves good pub fare and may have the adequate number of screens near the bar... There are also Irish pubs dotted amongst the landscape throughout midtown where you might have some luck.

ESPN Zone in Times Square closed a while ago. According to their site, it looks like now they only have locations in southern CA.

Any chance you can ask any Miami "expats" living in the city if there's a Miami-centric watering hole or hangout spot? In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled as you walk around town. Any place showing the games will likely promote the fact with a chalkboard or sign in the window.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Will they let a 9-year old in a bar? Not allowed in California, unless it's actually a restaurant.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 07:39 AM

Well that's why I recommended pubs, where they serve food!

sf, somehow you saying that made me think of what may be a very random recommendation: MBM, you could try the Hooters restaurant in Times Square.

(What made me think of it is that the only one I've ever eaten at is in Coral Gables - and there were plenty of kids dining with their families! I was trying to think if the culture in southern FL is so much different that one would even think of taking a 9-year-old to a bar... Now that NYC is smoke-free, you'll find an incredible number of dogs and babies in bars - but kids, not so much!)
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 09:34 AM

The difficulty with pubs is that they aren't going to want you to occupy a table for 2 hours while you watch the game, especially if you don't plan to eat. Most bars that don't serve food would not allow a child inside for any length of time, and the bars on 3rd Avenue in Murray Hill are just to raucous for a 9-year-old. But if it's tonight, happily, it's a Tuesday and the quietest night of the week for going out.

Bowlmor Lanes in Times Square might be a good place to go. They have a restaurant that faces huge TV screens. It's basically there so you can eat while watching sporting events. And it's kid-friendly enough that I don't think it would be a problem. It's a tad expensive, and the food is decidedly mediocre. But if you stick to sports-bar type foods, you should be ok. But I still think they'd expect you to order at least some food.

Caliente Cab, a Mexican restaurant at 33rd/3rd Ave. might also be a good choice. It's close to your hotel, and most people want to sit outside. So at that time of the night, I think they'd let you watch the game if you were to order a bowl of guacamole and some drinks. There's another Caliente Cab at 50th/3rd if that's closer to your hotel.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!! We will check on these ideas tonight.
We are on 45th and 6th. Is that mte or ts??
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Sixth is NOT east - not is it Times Square. I't midtown west. East has to be east of 5th Avenue.

And a bar that doesn't serve food won't let a child stay.

And if the bar serves food they won;t give you a table for a couple of hours just for a beverage - they will expect you to order food and keep ordering while you sit there - even if just more drinks after you eat.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM

MBM, I'm curious if you were successful watching the game last night! I was in a Tex Mex restaurant in my neighborhood and they had on ESPN - but it was before tip-off for the NBA game, so I don't know if they kept it on that channel later...
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 08:19 PM

LEBRON IS KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Yes!!!! We were successful!!

We had tickets last night to spiderman with my 9 year old and my parents and brother had tickets to Memphis. We all met up for second half at the Long Room, an Irish gastro pub on 44th between 6th and 7th. We got a table right in front of a tv. It was perfect!! Although we didn't get the to hear the game, as they had the music pumping. We had some beers and my son a soda.

We had a blast, we were going crazy and everyone at the bar just looked at us like we were nuts or maybe they were anti Lebroners! It didn't matter!! We were so happy!! Thinking of heading to the Nba store today to pick up some gear!! Love the Heat!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Oops, ggreen forgot to say we asked the concierge at Hooters. She said there are no Hooters in the city. I guess it's gone along with ESPN zone.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 05:07 AM

FYI: There's a Hooters at 56th Street/Broadway in Manhattan. I know that for a fact because I'm looking out my office window at it right now.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:12 AM

What Doug said.
(And I did double-check before I posted about it...)

I'm so glad you found a way to watch the game with your son. It sounds like it really worked out!! Thanks so much for providing real-time follow-up.

As for the other patrons in the bar, I'm sure it was a bit of both! Though it's not so much (or only) Lebron, it's Miami, ever since Reilly went there and then exacerbated with Lebron & Co...

[Lemme tell ya, it was so painful for me last May, when I had the misfortune to be working in south FL when my hometown boys were up against the Heat in the conference semifinals. It seemed I couldn't go anywhere without the game being on, even the local sushi-thai joint!]
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM

Congrads to you for catching the 2nd half (hey - all you need is a screen right - as the talking heads on TV just jabber away) - and also to the King and his court - for persevering and winning the title.

Here's to a couple more - but doubt he will reach 7.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

I checked out of my hotel in manhattan yesterday, wish I could correct them on the Hooters!
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 08:28 AM

In typical NY fashion, I read the NY Post over someone's shoulder on Friday. The picture of Lebron with a winning grin was so cute - very heartfelt. Even I could wish him well in that moment!
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

ggreen - your right!! That smile was the cutest!! Thanks for all your help!
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:56 AM

OK, Im from Oklahoma. Enough with the post. I'm tired of seeing it popping up. LOL-- just kidding.
Miami definately deserved to win. Harden was held in check. James played awesome. But, I think the deciding factor was that everyone from the Heat showed up. Iv'e always thought Battier is much better than the credit he gets. He was to good in college not to have some outstanding moments still in him for pro. And I certainly wasn't expecting performances from others like Miller, etc throughout the series. OKC did that against San Antonio, but no Miami. I'm not sure how either team will be next year. I'm sure they will both be good, but getting to the finals multiple times isn't easy. You have to wonder about New York, what Boston will do, what will San Antonio, Clippers, and Lakers do. I kindof expect Dallas to be back in full force next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -