Ohau and ? for family

Search

Ohau and ? for family

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohau and ? for family

We are going to Ohau in august. We plan on spending 4 nights in Ohau and will have 4 nights to spend somewhere else. Our family of 4 like to hike, horseback ride, snorkle and swim. The kids are 10 and 12. I can't figure out what island would be best for us. We definatly do not want to do any helicopter rides, and lounging on the beach for the 4 days would not interest us. We like to be on the go, then rest that day. Please advise.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:05 AM

I would go to Maui. Such a beautiful island with plenty to do.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Another place that would be interesting in addition to Oahu would be the Big Island. You can go to see the volcanoes national park with all the lava tubes and stuff like that, in addition to hiking and snorkeling. At night you can take a tour to the Mauna Kea observatory and do some cool stargazing.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Our kids loved maui at that age. They did not like Kauai - check out the postings under US, : Need Itinerary help for Oahu and Maui from past week or so, it has a lot of good info on it on Maui that may help you make up your mind. We have not done the BI, just Oahu, Maui and Kauai so can't help on that one, but think you can't go wrong with Maui if they are active kids.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 12:33 PM

I would choose Oahu and Maui. They have the most things to do.

Lots of Oahu ideas. Many of the websites are good for all islands.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188

Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

Big Island:

www.bigisland.org

Kauai:

www.kauai-hawii.com

www.kauaidiscovery.com
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM

All the things that you mentioned that your family likes to do (hike, horseback ride, snorkel, hike and swim) can be done in abundance on any of the islands mentioned, EVEN that dreaded hell-hole, Kaua`i.As everyone knows though Kaua`i is the most boring and overrated of all the islands, so I would do the Big Island or Maui.

-Bill
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 04:41 PM

My vote would be the Big Island. Volcanoes Naional Park would interest the kids, and there is horseback riding, I think, up by Parker Ranch. There is also a sea turtle preserve. We took one day for a guided tour which took us to coffee plantations and the sea turtles. Another day we rented a car and started around the island, staying at Volcano House one night. There is, of course, snorkeling etc.

Frankly, I found Maui a little boring. Yes, you can drive up to the volcano, and then you can snorkel...but it seemed to me to be more of a "chill out" place.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 05:08 PM

We loved Maui - the snorkling at Honolua Bay was fantastic. The kids loved they're surf lesson with Goofy Foot. There are stables there - we didn't go on a trailride.

But I've heard that the Big Island is fantastic too - great snorkeling and the Volcano national monument looks great.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM

in hawi on the big island they have atv tours and rafting down the old plantation flumes-I highly recommend that and the kids will love it!
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 11:26 PM

KAUAI!! Horseback rides, hiking, snorkeling, swimming? They're all there, and fantastic!! I've been three times with kids,and even after 10 days, we're left wanting more!! Snorkeling North Shore at Kee or Tunnels, swimming there or in calm mirror-like water at Hanalei Bay, hiking the Kalalau Trail from nr Ke'e Beach or at edge of Waimea Canyon or in the park up the mountain. Kaui is small enough so you can take only short rides from place to place (a big pluys for children). I HIGHLY recommend Lenore Horowitz's book "Kauai Underground Guide"--not only an excellent guide for activities , but also very kid-oriented (based on her own family's adventures in Kauai for many yrs, up to the present).
That being said..it's Hawaii, and you'll find activities to keep you as busy (or not) as you want, no matter which island you're on.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Calinurse, were you on the CR forum a few months ago too? the name is familiar. It seems as if we can't go wrong wherever we go. I guess I will base it on flight times from Ohau and which flight into another island is the most resonable and best time of day for us. I wish we could stay for more than 9 days, but we will just have to go back another time. where did you stay in Kauai? thanks for your input.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM

money4mice-wherever you decide, i'm sure you will have a great time. but before you go, practice spelling OAHU!
all the interisland fares are the same no matter what island you travel to. kauai and maui have the most flights per day from honolulu as they are the most popular. i still say, go to the big island! and remember..OAHU!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 02:42 PM

I have not been to the Big Island, but did go to Oahu and Maui this past July. We did 8 days on Maui and 6 on Oahu. That was not enough, but we did get a good overview and many great experiences!

In my in depth planning on this board, which took about a year, maybe alittle longer, MANY people recommended NOT to do the Big Island unless you have more than 4 days. They explained, since it is the BIG island, much more time is spent driving from place to place, resulting in less time to enjoy the activities.

That made sense to us, so even though we had more time, we decided to do Maui instead. I don't regret the decision! It was fabulous!

Also, although we did not stay at the Sheraton on Maui, we went to the Black Rock to snorkel. It looked to me (judging from the many young people I say there) to be THE place for 10-12 year olds! They were enjoying jumping off the Black Rock (not the peak)repeatedly, and you could just see the joy! There were divers and snorkelers there, as well as the beach loungers and the rental hut right at the beach. Then there's the pool,a beach bar, and the beach walk leading to Whaler's Village (don't miss Lelani's for lunch!)and Dig Me Beach (surfers)and more! It seemed to have it ALL, esp. for the kids!

Every night, the Sheraton does a torch lighting ceremony,alot of the resorts do but they have a diver from the Black Rock peak.

If you DO do Maui, make sure you snorkel Honolua Bay! The little trail to get there is a treat in itself! There are roosters crowing, a huge banyan tree and a cold stream to ford, then the beach itself is boulders, not sand. I loved it!

And speaking of snorkeling, when you're on Oahu, make sure to do Honolua Bay.Go before 9AM to ensure a parking place (or take a bus or tour group). Don't waste time with the center of the bay (as the park employees recommended to us). The most HUGE fish we saw on our entire trip were on the LEFT side of the bay (looking out to sea), and you didn't have to go very far , just a few feet out! I'm talking platter size and larger fish and many schools!

Whew! I think I've worked myself up into a tither!...FUN times!

All that said, I DO hope to get to the BI and the dreaded Kauai, some day!

JMHO, Belle
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 02:49 PM

HI M4M (hope you don't mind abreviations) YES! that was me on the CR forum!! About a yr ago I was helping son and his wife plan trip to Cr (which they loved) and more recently, was trying top lan my own which I'v sadly thad hold due to health and money issues.
I've had the good fortune to visit Kauai three times ( and the islands eight r nine) so there is a long list of places we've stayed on Kauai:
the old Outrigger Hotel (now the Radisson) Kokee Park cabin Hanalei Bay Resort, Islander on the Beach, Hyatt, Lae Nani Condos, and an overnight trip to visit my sister at a rented house on the edge of the ocean nr Spouting Horn.
You have a good attitude: there's NEVER enough time (DIGH) but if you like it, you can always return to see favorite places or new places. It sure helps motivate me to go to work and earn $$!! My first trip , we (with my then 10 year old daughter) went for 10 days: 5 on Oahu, 5 on Maui. it wasn't enough, so we returned for a week on Oahu--ten days later, during a great airfare sale!! Eight years later, we're still going, now joined by my son and his family, including three grandchildren who loved it. So i do understand your concern at figuring out a place and activities that both generations will enjoy!! IMHO--for a first family trip, Oahu and Kauai, but BI and MAUI are wonderful. I LOVE IT ALL and so will you all, wherever you chose.
ALOHA!!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Forgot so say....for a family, and home base/vegging-out-at-end-of-busy-day place, I highly recommend condo or cottage rental. Outrigger.com and Resort Quest (formerly Aston) have condo properties, or check out VRBO.com.
Like you, I'm not a lounge all day on beach type either. And tho' we took heli flight on Kauai in 1998, I'd never do it again (there are lots of threads on this forum about that).

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I have been on the VRBO website and it is great, but overwhelming. Is it important to have an ocean view from a condo? Also, I have been looking in the Poipu area, just to narrow it down. Are there any areas you'd recommend other then there to stay? By the way CaliNurse, CR was fabulous! the people were wonderful. We look foward to returning there again. These boards were great for the help in planning.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Hi money,

In the Poipu area I would suggest Kiahuna Plantation. Great beach, nice spot.

On the north shore, try a condo in Princeville. Hanalei Bay Villas, Pali Ke Kua, Sea Lodge and the Cliffs are some of the complexes in Princeville.

-Bill
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM

RE: your question about ocean view from condo - that is an individual decision (and also sometimes a monetary one). With my family it goes like this:
we tend not to see the need to pay for ocean view if it is a significant price difference when we travel w/ the kids b/c we seem to be more "on the go" and not sitting on balcony or staring at view: we get plenty of views usually from restaurants, while on activities, at beach, or while traveling on island. When it has been just my husband and I we go for it b/c we enjoy cocktails on the patio/ relaxing with the view while enjoying morning coffee, etc. this doesn't seem to happen when we have the kids with us - esp. when they were 10 and 12 and would look out the window and say "yea, that's cool, can we go snorkeling now?" - we find with them garden view/city view/etc workk fine. My only request is usually not close to elevator, not above kitchen, in other words, a quiet spot, and not overlooking parking lot.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I would suggest Maui. The kids would love the ATV's at Haleakala Ranch. My husband and I sure did. Plus you get a great view of the Maui rainforest. We also enjoyed biking down Haleakala. 32 miles, all downhill! It was great, you really get to see the diversity of the island. There are many areas to just pull the car over and snorkle too.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Aloha again, M4M. re: the view--IMHO ocean view is best, but often with a premium in $$. Soooo.... If it is a true garden view, that's fine too. Whatever gives a LOOK of Hawaii, and as long as there is a lanai to sit on and admire it. (For ex,i'd never book a room at Princeville Hotel b/c there are few-or no?--private lanais from the rooms) At the Hyatt, the "ocean view" was bookoo $ so we got "Royal Gdn View " rooms which were great--nothing but lush gorgeous vegetation, view of pool and walking paths, palms trees, and flowers in eyesite.
However, if you look at Lae Nani condos in in Kapaa, Kaui, i can tell you that ALL condos have an ocean VIEW, tho you will pay more for what they call "oceanFRONT"
Kiahuna is a great choice in Poipu! (Thx, IAMQ) You can book it thru Castle Resorts or on the outrigger.com web site. You may not be right AT the oceanside of the complex, but you will have the lawn and trees in view wherever you are, and a great casual/family atmosphere.
Thanks for the heads-up on CR!!! Still a dream for the future, so I may be consulting with you on that.
Also, a repeat recommendation for Lenore Horowitz's family oriented guide to Kauai, if you decide to go that island. Her book, in its then updated edition, was always the first purchase and first thing on my packing list, especially as she gives a % of hte profits from her books to children's groups/museum/schools in Kauai

Have fun planning!!!!

As long as my room isn't JUST a city or parking lot view, I'm ok!!