Reload this Page >

Ohare to Michigan Ave????????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Christine

We have a stopover in Chicago for just the day. We'll be arriving at around 1230p and our flight leaves at around 7p. We wanted to go to Marshall Fields etc. to see the Xmas displays and have lunch. How to you get from Ohare to that part of town? Where to you have to transfer? What other stores in the general area have displays? Should we make reservations for lunch?

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:30 AM
ron

christine - we visited in april and took a cab from the airport to MM for less than $30 including tip for 4 people

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Kris

Christine, do you want to see the window decorations at Marshall Field's? Those are at the flagship State St. store, not at the one on Michigan Avenue. You can take the CTA's blue line from O'Hare for $1.50, I think it takes about 45 minutes to get downtown depending on the time of day. I'm not sure of the exact stop, maybe someone else can help you with that but I know it gets within a block or two.

The Marshall Field's on State St. has a place to eat called the Walnut Room which I've never eaten at but my mother in law enjoys it quite a bit. Their website said that reservations are not taken during the holiday period but that you could put your name on a list and shop while you are waiting.

In the area over by State St. there is also a Carson Pirie Scott which I believe decorates their windows and during the Christmas season a little German market (Christkindlmarket) at Daley Center which is a couple of blocks away.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:59 AM
Dan

I believe the stop you want to get off at is Washington. That will put you close to Marshall Fields on State St. The CTA train from O'Hare is what you want, not the METRA train. No transfer is necessary. The CTA station is located at the lowest level of the Main Parking Garage (next to elevator center 4) and is accessible by pedestrian tunnels located in Terminals 1, 2, and 3. Forty five minutes sounds about right.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Dan

Oh, and I'd reccomend the Walnut Room in Marshall Fields too. Kind of a Chicago Christmas tradition.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:08 AM
marilyn

The Walnut Room is definitely a Chicago Christmas tradition, but they do not accept reservations during the Christmas season and the wait can be considerable. The room is dominated by a huge Christmas tree, and I believe they distinguish between near and not-near the tree when they take your name. Only Fields and Carsons on State Street have displays.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Christine

thx for all the great info

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:58 AM
s.fowler

If you luggage is checked through I'd recommend the subway too -- the auto route into Chicago and be clear or it can take an hour... it's a roll of the dice on that... so in this case public trans is best. You access it by going down the stairs/escalators from baggage claim [one level below checkin] -- the train station is in the middle of that long gray hall someplace -- perhaps someone else can pinpoint it more precisly.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:05 AM
me

take the metra, or call this guy: Ray 630-247-6893. He drives an older caddy limo and will take you there for the same price as a cab. I use him every time I go to ORD.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:46 AM
noname

No. Don't take the Metra train. Take the CTA train as stated above. The Metra train station is out by remote parking. Takes a while to get there. Also drops you off farther away from Marshall Fields. Just go downstairs to CTA train. Much easier.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:32 AM
patg

The OHare Blue line drops you off on Dearborn, not on State St. It's only a block west, but you want to know exactly, don't you! There is no transfer. This is a great way to get to Marshall Field's, but the Walnut Room may be too long a wait for not all-that-great food. Try Trattoria #10 at 10 N. Dearborn instead (Dearborn and Madison) or the Atwood cafe, at State and Washington.
CTA info is at chicagotransit.com

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 09:43 AM
pj

The cta is so easy!!! Just get on blueline to washinton, thats it a no brainer!!Then exit to the street either randolph,dearborn,state. Look at the windows check out the walnut room[do not eat there] leave on the corner of washington and state is an awesome hotel Hotel Burnham eat at the Atwood cafe, that is it!!

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 09:54 AM
huh

Why is everyone repeating the same information? The question was answered in the first few responses.