Jim Turberville

Off Broadway plays

Any reviews on Burn This?

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Howard

Not yet!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:23 PM
jodie

Burn this officially opens Sept. 16 I believe. After that the official reviews will be out. However, I recently saw it in previews and it is phenomenal!!!! Believe me I am a theater goer and this is top notch. Edward Norton outdoes himself. Brilliant script as well. Do Not Miss This show!!!!!!!
I also saw The Goat or Who is Slyvia and I enjoyed that as well. (but doesnt hold a candle to Burn this!!)

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:03 PM
kk

Jodie, I'm delighted to hear you sing praises to Burn This. I hadn't seen any reviews yet but did not realize it's still in previews. I'm going to be in New York and am cramming in as much theatre as I can. I finally decided to go for Burn This because Norton is so phenomenal and Keaner ain't no slouch either.
That means I will see four--with the others being Hairspray, Mamma Mia, and Frankie and Johnny at the Claire de Lune. The last time I spent a week in New York City, I saw three. Four seems a bit much, but hey, it'll be a real treat. It's fun now reading the NY Times and seeing ads about plays I've already seen.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:10 PM
kk

Jodie, I'm delighted to hear you sing praises to Burn This. I hadn't seen any reviews yet but did not realize it's still in previews. I'm going to be in New York and am cramming in as much theatre as I can. I finally decided to go for Burn This because Norton is so phenomenal and Keaner ain't no slouch either.
That means I will see four--with the others being Hairspray, Mamma Mia, and Frankie and Johnny at the Claire de Lune. The last time I spent a week in New York City, I saw three. Four seems a bit much, but hey, it'll be a real treat. It's fun now reading the NY Times and seeing ads about plays I've already seen.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Ellen

We have tickets for Oct 3, so I will post a report after. I do know it is about 3 hours long though, and that makes me crazy. My sitting limit is 2 hrs & 20 min. : - )

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:54 AM
kk

When I phoned the box office and asked about the length of Burn This, I was told 2.5 hours, so if it really is 3, then I will have to hustle to get north to eat quickly and then sit down and see Mamma Mia. What a challenge, but I intend to be up to it!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Ellen

Maybe they add in 1/2 hr for 2 intermissions? Does anyone know the answer to this? How many acts is this show?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Howard

A correction on the opening night. I read that it's teh 19th, not the 16th, so you'll have reviews a week from today.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:51 PM
k

Thanks, Howard!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Elizabeth

Kendall-if you have to eat fast between a matinee of Burn This and an evening show--here are some ideas in the neighborhood of Burn This, which will be much easier to eat in pre-theatre than the theatre district--downtown restaurants don't fill up until 7:30, midtown they are packed starting 6-6:30:

very fast: turn left on Park Avenue (theatre just east of it) and find an Au Bon Pain in a couple of blocks.

turn right on Park Ave and find a pizza place at about 20th Street. Nothing special but it will feed you.

ask somebody where University place is, go there to University and 13th to Stromboli Pizza--vastly better. Downside, stools but no tables.

A little less fast but efficient:

Sushi bar at Japonica, University Place and 12th Street-- one of NY's best Japanese places (not too cheap) and efficient in its service.

Thai restaurant University Place and
11th Street

Quite close to theatre: Cottage Chinese restaurant on Irving place at 16th St (theatre is between Park Avenue and Irving Place). Eat here for under $15. Actually I think they have a $9 early special.

If you follow this plan, of eating downtown, you can take the subway at Union Square -- the N,R line -- to the theatre. I'd leave an hour to get there, which you won't need at all, it's a 10 minute ride, maybe 10 minute wait, but be comfortable walking from subway to theatre, not rushed, it's nicer.

Then go eat again afterward, you'll have had a stressful day!!!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 05:20 PM
kk

Elizabeth, thank you! That was so kind of you, offering those suggestions of where to eat between the two plays. I think that's a great idea, actually, eating downtown before hitting the theatre district. I will choose one of your suggestions. Thanks again.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Postal

What is Burn This about? Now you have me thinking about seeing it! (Thanks!)

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:49 PM
kk

This is a revival of a Lanford Wilson play and according to playbill.com stars Catherine Keener, Edward Norton
Ty Burrell, Dallas Roberts.
Its Final performance: November 3, 2002
A production of Signature Theatre Company's 2002-2003 Lanford Wilson Season.

A young dancer's accidental death uproots the lives of four New Yorkers who, through their shared grief, confront personal passions and unexpected desire.

But for me, all I had to see was the name Edward Norton. Wow!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:32 AM
martha

Does anyone know if I can rely on getting good seats to see Burn This in late October through those 'discount' tickets - day of performance places? I really want to see Burn This while we are in New York - and don't know much about the discount scene. Any advice?

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Howard

Martha, the chances are slim to nonexistant for getting discount tickets. It's a limited run in a small theater with a couple big names! If you want to see, I suggest you get tickets now.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 06:51 AM
martha

Thanks! That is what I thought. We just got tickets to Urinetown - but thought we'd wait til we got to NY to try to get tics for Burn This. I'll get right on it! Appreciate the insight.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:02 AM
gen

We saw Burn This way back when with Eric Robers (he had taken over for John Malkovich, I think) Lisa Emry had taken the Joan Allen role. It was very good.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:15 AM
martha

We just got tickets! Now I'm really pumped about our trip to NY...we've never been. Any fabulous restaurants we should not miss??

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Postal

There are plenty of excellent tickets available on Ticketmaster for $65.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information