October weekend at the cape help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from Chicago, and with my 2 daughters living now in Boston and New York, we've decided to do a mother/daughter weekend over Columbus Day. Since my Boston daughter is a teacher, we can leave Friday afternoon and return Monday afternoon. None of us has ever visited Cape Cod, and we're all eager to experience it, but would love some planning help. Is there one area we should or should not stay in? I've been looking online at the Whalewalk Inn and Spa in Eastham, (the spa part definitely appeals) but wonder if it's too far away from other sites. Do we need a more central locations or is everything easily drivable? We are interested in doing some biking, seeing the towns, eating great food (definitely important) and whatever else is suggested for our two and half days. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, both on our possible hotel choice and activities, restaurants, how to spend our time etc. We appreciate all the help!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Several years ago, we stayed at a very nice resort in the area of Chatham MA. I tried to look it up and found two resorts that could be the one we went to. One is the Chatham Bars Inn and the other was the Wequassett Inn. Both have cottage rooms and that is what we had. It was very pretty and we went mid Sept.
Anyway, it was a long time ago, but a very nice place. I wish I could remember the name, but both of the resorts I just looked at, look great.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:44 PM

I encourage first time visitors to stay in the mid-Cape area (Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis, etc.) as this area has the most choices in acomodations, restaurants and things to do.

From here one can easily venture to the four corners of the Cape (Provincetown, Chatham, Sandwich and Falmouth) and all the towns in between.

To see the towns and villages drive along routes 6A and 28 and take side roads when you feel like it.

The Cape has many bike trails, one of the best (Rail Trail) starts in Dennis.

The Cape is loaded with good to great restaurants. Here are just a few in the mid-Cape area: Captain Parkers, Ocean House, Roo Bar, Naked Oyster.

In Hyannis the Cape Codder Hotel also has a very popular Spa as well as several good restaurants.

No matter where you stay, eat and visit I'm sure you will have a pleasant time,

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

I'm a little concerned about things still being open in October. Do most of the restaurants, shops, etc stay open through October? Also, how bad will the traffic be Columbus Day weekend does anyone have any experience with that time of year at the Cape?
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:21 PM

cherikm, the Cape still has plenty going on through October - and then lights up again for a bit during the holidays. And a sunny October day is perfect for hiking or biking! I wouldn't worry about restaurants and shops being closed - except, unfortunately, for the famous Four Seas ice cream (and most other seasonal ice cream shops).

Eastham is beautiful and quiet, an easy drive to restaurants in Chatham and P'town. There are some good hiking trails on the Bay side there.

Conversely, Hyannis wouldn't be a bad place to stay, either - busy and commercial, but not necessarily "touristy" and definitely centrally located (South Yarmouth would be about the same).

Route 6A is scenic and residential; Route 28 has the hotels, shops, etc; and Route 6 in the middle is the major throughway up and down the Cape.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:51 AM

I think the Whalewalk Inn would be a perfect spot from which to explore the Cape--especially the parts that are less commercial. Chatham Bars and Wequasset are also lovely spots but are probably pricier.

You will not find that the Cape has shut down by then. In fact, we go throughout the year and would say that most good restaurants stay open throughout the year. The burger/ice cream stands close down.

From the Whalewalk Inn you can easily access the bike trail (although be sure to check if it will be open--they are planning further renovations to it), walk on the Ocean beaches in Eastham or Orleans, shop in Orleans, make a day trip out to Provincetown for biking, walking, shopping and eating, go for a MUST walk at Fort Hill in Eastham, or eat at many good restaurants (The Beacon Room, Sparkfish, Land Ho for lunch, etc.). And you should try to get to Chatham as well (another possible spot for staying at an Inn).

We love the Cape on Columbus Day if the weather cooperates. The traffic won't be too bad although that Friday afternoon might be slow mostly due to tough Boston South Shore commuter traffic.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:02 AM

We loved Wood's hole.You can take the ferry to Martha's vineyard from there.It's not that far to drive the whole length of the Cape.Paul
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:38 PM

I agree that Eastham is a great place to stay because the National Seashore starts there which means you get fabulous beaches and a location betwen Chatham and Provincetown. The Whale walk is nice but you might also look into Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast which has a location that can not be beat..the only lodging that is actually in the park. They are small and only have a few very private suites but it's worth a look. If you stayed there you could just step out the door look at the ocean views and walk the Fort HIll trails. Willy's in Eastham, with 6 lane pool, full spa services and full gym, is only a few minutes away, or you could have someone come in to give you a massage right in your suite. We did that and loved it!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

We've booked the Whalewalk Inn, they had a suite available that would accommodate the three of us with three beds, and also has a living area with fireplace. This seemed like a good situation in case of inclement weather. Now I'm looking for restaurant ideas. One night we definitely want lobster - one night something upscale (we're foodies) but we don't want to have to get dressed up, and the third nite, something interesting. We're planning on going to P-town one day to explore, perhaps to Chatham one day? Hopefully biking and hiking (weather permitting) part of the time, and just driving around to see things. Would love some restaurant suggestions, lobster, seafood, great food, great chefs. Also, we're big ice cream and dessert fans - any bakeries, ice cream, or candy shops we shouldn't miss? That will be open in October? Towns we should definitely make sure and visit? I appreciate all the help, I want to make this a great weekend with my daughters, both of whom have been working insane hours and really need to have some fun.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Stop into the Hot Chocolate Sparrow in Orleans for great coffe and sweets in the middle of the day. the Brewster Fish House sounds perfect for you and your "girls".
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:40 AM

Here are some of our favorites (and, yes, dessert/ice cream people love Chocolate Sparrow):

Beacon Room, Orleans - great food, nice atmosphere, somewhat upscale.

Abba, Orleans - mediterranean menu, upscale, nice atmosphere, pricey

Sparkfish, Brewster - mid-range, nice atmosphere, good food.

For lobster, why not go to the Lobster Pot in Ptown for lunch or an early dinner. Not much on atmosphere (although it does look out over the water) but good lobster dishes and very popular.

We're not big fans of the Brewster Fish House (even though we can walk there from our vacation home). Food is good but not plentiful, it's a bit crowded and you can't make reservations. But others love it. Go figure. I like it better for lunch.

I'll let others offer touring suggestions.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 05:13 AM

I'm pleased you chose the Whalewalk-it's just lovely.
Crosner has wonderful suggestions. Do stop into the National Seashore Visitors center in Eastham, just off Rt. 6, and get a schedule for what is happening the days you are on the Cape. They hsve an old whaling Captains house, in which they give a tour (the entrance is through two huge jaw bones of the whale),called the Capt. Penniman house, they give as tour of the Oldest house in Wellfleet called the Atwood house, thwey have guided walks, et al.

The Wicked Oyster in Wellfleet is a great place to dine, as is Finely JP's, one in Wellfleet village, the other on Rt. 6 in Wellfleet. Walk through the art galleries in the village, and walk down to the pier,looking into the cute gift shop with many items hand made by people on the Cape right on the pier.(Not tacky, but not expensive)
Do walk Fort Hill, in my estimation the most beautiful on the Cape-check to see if the Highland Light is open that weekend, in Truro, and climb to the top for an awesome view of both ocean and bay.
Have fun!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 05:31 AM

cherikm

I'm not from Chicago, but I AM flying out of Ohare next Thursday for a 6-day visit to New England. Cape Cod is also on my list of places to see. As a RETIRED teacher, I'm fortunate in being able to make it a longer trip. I'm actually flying into and out of Manchester NH as I prefer the smaller airport. I'm renting a car and visiting Salem, Boston, Plymouth, and the Cape. I'm staying at a brand new Hilton Garden near Plymouth and will drive out to the Cape from there. I'm planning on a boat trip to Nantucket as well. I hope weather cooperates. I hope you enjoy your trip with the girls.

There's a fodorites get together (GTG) in Boston on Saturday the 7th. That's my excuse for making this trip (as if I needed an excuse).

Anyway, I appreciate all the valuable information here and am printing this thread to take along with me next week.

Carol
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great responses! The only restaurant I had definitely decided to try was Abba, and it's booked for the weekend already! Guess I'm a little late with the reservations. My next question, we'll be driving from Logan, my flight arrives around one, so we'll head out to the cape directly from there. Suggestions on where to stop for a light lunch on the way to our B&B? Anywhere between the south shore and Eastham. Thanks for all the time and attention to my weekend plans, I really appreciate it.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:08 PM

Cheri--

I'm kind of torn on the light lunch question for a couple of reasons. First, if your flight arrives at Logan at one and you're heading out from there, you will be lucky to be through the Ted Williams tunnel by two. That makes for a late lunch. But you should also try to get yourself as far from Boston and "the split" (where 93 and 128 meet) and "the lane drop" on Route 3 south in Hingham as you can get as quickly as you can do that. The weather prediction for this weekend is very nice (a good thing for you) but will make traffic heavy earlier than you would hope. You'll probably have some traffic as early as 2.

So maybe you should grab a quick bite at Logan and just look forward to a nice meal when you get to Eastham/Orleans. Some friends now rave about Mahoney's Atlantic Bar and Grill in Orleans--a possibility for you.

I would definitely do The Beacon Room. Liked the Wellfleet suggestions.

And hope to squeeze some time down in Brewster this weekend myself. If so, my hubby and I will go to The Bramble Inn to celebrate our 15th anniversary....but that's a pricey spot.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Instead of Abba you might try the Academy Ocean Grille www.academyoceangrille.com or The Captain Linnell House www.linnell.com or the Nauset Beach Club www.nausetbeachclub.com .
Mahoney's is quite good and has the best tuna sashimi I have ever had but it is more casual.

I think ccrosner has given you good traffic advice.

Let us know if you have any last minute questions and have a wonderful weekend.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Gomiki-
Great suggestions. I had forgotten about Academy Ocean Grille. We tend not to go there as they used to give the impression that they didn't want kids there. Guess we should try again since my in-laws (who are critical foodies) like it very much I had thought about Nauset Beach Club too (we don't go often enough for me to comment).
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I've booked the Academy Ocean Grill for one night and actually got into Abba (they had a cancellation) for a second. One left. As far as our travel plans, my daughter who lives in Boston (who I'm going with) teaches in Norwell on the south shore, and she has suggested that I take the T from Logan to the end of the line (Braintree?) and she'll pick me up there and we'll head out. Hopefully, she can get out early (it's an in-service day, no kids) and we'll be able to miss most of the traffic? I'm hoping. I guess we'll just try and make it to our B&B and then find food. Any great bakeries on the Cape? I'm a major bakery and chocolate fan. I know about Chocolate Sparrow already. Thanks for all your suggestions and tips, it's all been so helpful!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Check out the Cottage Street Bakery [email protected] Please write a trip report
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:49 AM

T will work fine...it might be best to take the Silver Line from Logan to South Station and then the Red Line to Braintree (make sure you get on the Braintree train not the Ashmont line).

You'll still hit some traffic but will avoid all of the Boston/split mess.

You MUST have a "dirt bomb" muffin at Cottage Street bakery. Have avoided them for a couple of years but they are the best.

Good restaurant reservations.

Have a GREAT trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -