October Road Trip, CO and NM

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- I'd like feedback if this routing makes sense. Spouse and I, late 50's, 13 night trip.
We're pretty mellow, a scenic train ride or two, White water rafting if not too late in season, a few 'ghost towns, great scenery, it doesn't take a lot to entertain us. We were in Colorado 3 years back up did the above and were quite happy. 2-16 October. Fly in and out of Denver.

First night in Denver, then taking Amtrak the next day to Grand Junction to enjoy the scenery. That night in Grand Junction, then pick up the rental car the next day and start the road trip.

A little over 1.000 miles, probably closer to 1400/1500 with wandering.

2 nights Glenwood Springs (stayed here last trip, enjoyed the area. Probably do the bike rental trip along the river)
2 nights Durango
3 nights Santa Fe
2 nights Buena Vista
2 nights Estes Park (stayed here previously, enjoyed the area).
Fly out of Denver at 2300.

I'd appreciate any tips on neat places to stop enroute, as said above, we're pretty easy to entertain and enjoy road trips, especially when the scenery is as impressive as Colorado.

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 10:28 AM

In Estes Park, I would recommend https://goo.gl/maps/HXdopQ6mFmCsytm88

unless of course you've already been there, done that.

Last edited by N8826WRjd; Jul 11th, 2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: sp.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 10:44 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this your first visit to Durango? Two nights doesn't give you much time to see/do anything, especially after a near five hour drive to get there. Any interest in Mesa Verde?

Too late for white water rafting, but there might still be some fall color.

Any interest in Mt Princeton in Buena Vista or perhaps Ojo Caliente which you'll drive right by after Santa Fe? You'll also go right by the Great Sand Dunes, but may not have time to stop.

Ouray is worth a few hours en route to Durango as is Silverton and Red Mountain Pass - several picnic areas and overlooks, etc. James Ranch Grill makes a good lunch stop - it's between Purgatory and Durango. Do be aware of the road construction projects that may impact your drive - https://www.codot.gov/.

Do you plan on visiting RMNP from Estes? If so, do be aware of the timed entry permit system (although it looks as if you might be there after Oct 11, so may not apply to you).

Looks like an okay itinerary to me, if a bit rushed by my standards
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

We actually stayed at Princetown last visit, supposed to be 2 nights, dropped it to one as we didn't really like it. Got placed at one of the outlying motel buildings that wasn't so nice. Luckily found a great B&B, which is no longer in business unfortunately.

One of the reason we wanted to stay in Glenwood Springs is that the drive along I-70 was so neat. This is where we rafted last time, and wanted to do the bike ride this trip. Having said that, it would be the easiest to drop. Will the Amtrak ride make up for missing that stretch of I-70?

I did see that about needing reservations to visit RMNP. I would probably drive through there enroute to Estes Park. I've done that drive a few times and it really is amazing.

I just started the planning for this trip, didn't even realize that Mesa Verde was so close to Durango, so thanks for pointing that out. If I drop Glenwood, then 4 nights Durango?

Santa Fe is a place I've always wanted to see, and we have tons of Hyatt points to use, so it became a more appealing stop.

Thanks for both of your help!

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 11:49 AM

We were in New Mexico in late October and the colors were still good:

https://flic.kr/p/pDWhRF
Just stay off the Interstate to better see the colors.

A stop in Taos on the way to Santa Fe is recommended. We were particularly taken by the Fechin house which is a combination of local architecture and Russian folk interior details.

https://flic.kr/p/pE2rBN
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 03:03 AM

It's only a 4 hour drive from Denver to Glenwood Springs through the mountains and a beautiful drive. That stretch of I70 IS memorable.
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 03:19 AM

If you are in for something new, rather than backtracking to Glenwood springs, consider driving from Grand Junction to Moab and spending those days viisiting Arches and Canyonlands for a few days before heading to Durango. Drive down UU 128 along the Colorado river from a bit west of Grand Junction.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gretchen
It's only a 4 hour drive from Denver to Glenwood Springs through the mountains and a beautiful drive. That stretch of I70 IS memorable.
It is really stunning. Do you know if the Amtrak from Denver gives you the same experience? We're booked to go from Denver to Grand Junction via the train, and hoping that 'ticks the box' in lieu of that drive.

Thanks all!
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 05:20 AM

tomfuller might chime in, he's a train buff and has mentioned taking this route before. But in the meantime, a couple of videos of the train journey:

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 02:57 AM

But the train doesn't stop to let you see the exhibit there that tells about building ig.
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 04:09 AM

The train runs along (more or less) the south side of the river and I-70 is along the north side ---- BUT -- we are having problems this summer. An extensive forest fire last year did a lot of damage in the canyon. As a result mud slides have been extensive and I-70 has been closed a number of times because of the mud, rocks, and water. And, of course, the bike trail below I-70 has been impact. Too what degree? I do not know. I have seen pictures of the trail covered in deep mud but I don't the know priority for keeping it open. To the best of my knowledge the train has not been affected. So the train is probably a better option. Also from Winter Park on the train goes through some pretty scenic areas prior to the canyon. The train is a great ride.

M Verde works best if you can stay at least one night in the park. However, those reservations are hard to come by this late but you might catch a cancellation. The drive in and out of the park is slow and long.

As mentioned earlier there is no white water anything. The rivers will be way too low especially this year. We had below average snow pack and an early Spring run off.

You might consider getting off in Glenwood Springs. There is little advantage to going all the way to Grand Junction and driving back to GS. Unless you want to spend a little time in our wine country just east of G Junction. That is worth it.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 09:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bdokeefe
It is really stunning. Do you know if the Amtrak from Denver gives you the same experience? We're booked to go from Denver to Grand Junction via the train, and hoping that 'ticks the box' in lieu of that drive.

Thanks all!
I have ridden the CZ many times in each direction many times. If you can get a rental car (or Jeep) in Glenwood Springs, do it. There is also a good bus service from Glenwood Springs up to Aspen including a spur road to Maroon Bells.The Glenwood Canyon east of Glenwood Springs is one of the most beautiful daytime sights from Amtrak. Seeing it from the train is a lot better than driving it on I-70.
If you can only rent a vehicle in Grand Junction, consider going west into Utah and visiting Arches NP and at least one section of Canyonlands NP.
There is a good light rail system from the Denver airport to the transportation center (Amtrak station). There is (or was) a bus that leaves the transportation center at 8:05AM. The bus also goes to Glenwood Springs. It is called the Bustang.
Plan on returning any rental vehicle to the place that you rent it. Paying a one way fee may not even be an option given the rental car shortage.
The world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool is in Glenwood Springs. There is also a gondola ride up to Glenwood Caverns.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that advice. If the train ride past Glenwood Springs isn't that great, then we'll just not continue to Grand Junction. How does that work if we check luggage, as our tickets will be through to GJ? We already have those tickets.

Car rental was crazy when I booked it a month back, looks like it's come back down.

Our return flight is out of Denver, at 0025 Saturday morning. If do the drop off of the rental car in Glenwood Springs, it is much cheaper. Looks like the Amtrak leaves GS at 1215, and get's into Denver Central about 1830. I'll just have to change the route a bit, but that's OK. Nothing wrong with being on the train twice.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Booked two nights at The Hotel Denver in Glenwood Springs for the start of the trip. We stayed there our last visit, it is right across the street from the Amtrak station. Very neat old building. A nice splurge for one of the rooms with a separate seating area.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 06:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You can (and probably should) trade in your tickets to Grand Junction for tickets to Glenwood Springs. You can do this at any staffed Amtrak station or by calling 1800 USARAIL. You should get a refund of the extra fare each way. Glenwood Springs also has checked baggage service. It is true that the canyon is not as beautiful as it was before last years devastating wildfire. Riding the train through the canyon on the south side of the river, beats driving through it and paying attention to your driving.
The eastbound CZ meets the westbound train a few miles east of the canyon when both are on time. As the trip between Denver and Glenwood Springs is in daylight both ways, plan to ride in coach instead of booking a roomette. I am hoping that the mask requirement will stop before your trip in October.
My favorite stop in New Mexico is Albuquerque on the Southwest Chief.
The Glenwood Springs Amtrak station is across the Colorado River from the big swimming pool and the 2 big old hotels. One year I was on the train while in the station and I saw someone swimming in the pool. It was in December. Doc Holliday was buried in a cemetery on the top of the hill. Interesting memorial stone surrounded by a fence. His remains are not under it.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Tom- Thanks, I'll switch over to a RT. Looks to be coming together nicely, there is a nice apartment available for the 4 nights in Durango.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 05:38 AM

Santa Fe is a place I've always wanted to see, and we have tons of Hyatt points to use, so it became a more appealing stop.

There's a very nice Hyatt Place in Santa Fe, stayed there twice. It's not in old town, but easy enough to get to the plaza from there via car.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Melnq8- Yep that's what we were looking at. Thinking of 3 nights in Santa Fe, and then maybe and overnight in Taos when heading back north.

Looking at Saturday 2 October arrival: Denver Hyatt booked.

Sunday- Train to Glenwood Springs, 2 night Denver Hotel.

Pickup car Tuesday, head south, maybe one night Telluride, 3 nights Durango OR 4 nights Durango. Open to suggestions.

3 nights Santa Fe, 1 night Taos (Tuesday night, 12 October). Then we just have to be at Glenwood Spring Amtrak Station on Friday at 1200 for Amtrak back to Denver, with flight back home departing at 0020 Saturday (so roughly 6 hours to get to airport/train delay, etc).

We'll just play the Wednesday/Thursday by ear, we'll have the rental and some flexibility.

Thanks for helping us refine this.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Back from trip, wanted to say thanks, great time. Amtrak both ways, Denver-Glenwood Springs is a blast, sprung for the Family Room, which was nice. Observation car for about 1/2 of return trip. Also rode Durango-Silverton, but just the 5 hr trip, as we had stopped in Silverton after our night in Ouray.

Bandelier National Monument- Trip highlight, got there at 0830, just a few other couples there, so complete peace in the valley as you walk up to the houses and caves. Great experience. Just a tick below was Aztec Ruins National Monument, again, very few people and we were blown away by the Natives solid construction and engineering...some of the roofs still standing 900-1000 years later? Great stone work, so glad this was able to be preserved, and the one Kiva reconstructed. A big learning day. These sites were last minute, and I was feeling bummed about not booking Mesa Verde tours in time. So happy we went to these two spots.

The mountains views throughout our loop was gorgeous with the Aspens doing their Fall yellow dance. The views of the bridge over the Santa Fe outside Taos, and from the Canyon floor were very impressive...the Canyon floor as a deviation from the Enchanted Circle drive.

I was looking for a good train/car/mountain road trip, and got it. Spouse and I very happy with the trip, and the pace.