October Lunch in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2021, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been tasked to make reservations for a Friday ‘fancy’ lunch in October in San Francisco. There will be four or five of us, including my 15 year old grandson, enthusiastic and appreciative eater and budding home chef. (Christmas time 2019, we took him to Plaj and he loved the experience.) There has been little to no chatter on Chowhound on this subject for the past 18 months. I’m hoping our Bay Area Fodorites will have some current recommendations. I did a quick glance at the Chronicle’s list for 2021; not many lunch choices among them.

Burma Super Star, Nopalito, and 54 Mint are perennial favorites for this group; I was looking for something a cut above. How about Zuni Cafe? Has anyone eaten there lately? I know it’s been around for years but I have never been. Other ideas? No Italian, please; Italian restaurants are plentiful here at home.

Thank you!

Last edited by k_marie; Sep 14th, 2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Spruce?
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 03:37 PM

https://www.yelp.com/biz/diamond-caf...ey+lunch+spots

Relaitively easy to get to from downtown. Take the underground to Castro and then the 24 bus to 24th st. and Castro. It's one block up 24th St. This is a suggestion, not a recommendation, as I am not in a position to give one.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 09:37 PM

I'd either eat at Green's in the City at Fort Mason, or perhaps more appealing, drive across Golden Gate and eat at the stunning Cavillo Point Lodge with amazing view of the Golden Gate Bridge. RESERVE NOW for either. Cavallo Point has outside eating.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Oh, Thanks for suggesting Green’s. Maybe not for this lunch with grandson, but definitely a possibility for another day.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Where are you staying in San Francisco? It make no sense to me to travel "elsewhere" in the Bay Area if you are staying downtown - surrounded by many "higher-end" good lunch spots Boulevard, One Market, Kokkari (Greek), Prospect. I would probably choose Kokkari. If your grandson is a basketball fan - International Smoke might be worthwhile.

Stu Dudley

Old Sep 20th, 2021, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

StuDudley, I was hoping you would see this and offer some suggestions. Thank you!
On my son-in-law’s recommendation, we’ll be going to Spruce for this lunch. He has been there previously; the rest of us have not. But I will certainly keep your ideas in mind. Our grandson has enjoyed his limited experience with Greek cuisine. Kokkari may be on the list for next time. And I like to have places to suggest when we meet my cousins from the East Bay. (We went to One Market the last time we were in San Francisco.)
I’m trying to recall. Seems to me we went to Prospect a few years ago with my daughter and son-in-law. Is there a full wall of stunning red/orange tiles at the end of the room as you walk past the bar and toward the tables? Might be time for a re-visit.
I appreciate your help!
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 07:44 AM

Spruce is a great choice. We had a birthday lunch there for a large group of friends about 10-15 years ago. Reserve some time for window shopping on Sacramento Street.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Good to hear. Thank you again, StuDudley!
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Reporting back: Spruce was a good choice for us. I had reserved a table indoors and we all were required to show proof of vaccination. Pleasant, professional service and nice touches to mark my son-in-law’s birthday—a greeting card and a small piece of delicious cake with a candle. (I pointed out to my grandson that the dishes for each course were delivered to all the diners at the table at the same time; they were not cleared until everyone had finished the course. Just the way it should be, but so rarely is.) Favorite selections: scallop crude with Meyer lemon, duck confit, and halibut with olive and almond.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I’ll keep them on the list for next time.
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 09:14 AM

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you had a great lunch.
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 04:38 PM

We had a horrible lunch with friends at Tadich today. Some of my favorites from he past were no longer on the menu. All 4 of us (all loooooooooong time SF Bay Area residents) felt the same way.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to hear that about Tadich’s, StuDudley. It was one of my husband’s favorites from visits years ago.

We’ll be back for the holidays in December and I phoned today for a dinner reservation at Kokkari. My husband and grandson are already considering their menu choices!