Search

Ocean City

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:15 AM
Missy

Ocean City

Hi, its me again looking for info on Ocean City. From what I have read, it is a family oriented place and we will have our three year with us. What things are there to do there? Again I have searched the internet and can't really find anything to help me. What should we not miss. We are planning 4 or 5 days there. Will it be too cold in May. Would June be better????

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 08:30 AM
Dick

Missy, where in the heck is Ocean City?
Why can't people be a little more expicit when asking for information?

Dick

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 08:48 AM
Debbie

Missy, If I'm not mistaken your talking about Ocean City,New Jersey?
I've been there. It's great.I love
the beach.It's big and uncrowded.And
I like the boardwalk they have there. With all the rides,games,and restaurants.It's really fun!May would probably be a quiet time as long as you went before Memorial Day. I don't know if the boardwalk is open then.We rented a condo in September right across the sreet from the beach.It cost a third of what it cost on season.Enjoy!!

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 12:35 PM
Missy

Debbie, thank you for your kind response. Actually I forgot to say Ocean City, MD. Dick, your name sure does fit you.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 12:39 PM
Dick

Thanks, Missy. You have style and class. Speaking of names that fit?

Dick

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 01:29 PM
rudy

Missy:

Usually during the month of May, Maryland high school seniors begin pouring in after their graduations. They call it "senior week", but it actually stretches out for at least the last two weeks. O.C. gets very crowded, the seniors are loud and boisterous, and you might not enjoy all the noise and carousing. In June, you also have a better chance of good weather.

With a three year old in tow, it might be better to stay at a place on the boardwalk, which stretches from the inlet to 26th Street. There's a lot more to do on the boardwalk (shops, renting bikes, riding the boardwalk "train", and the rides at the amusement park situated at one end of the boardwalk on the inlet. The beach is very accessible from any boardwalk hotel, and there are hundreds of places to eat, ranging from nice restaurants to fast food to candy stores, ice cream shops, etc. Most hotels along the boardwalk offer free parking, and you can literally spend most of your time not driving. At night, most people "walk the boards" and eat, people watch, shop, ride the train, etc.

On a rainy day, you can shop at the outlets in Ocean City, take in a movie, or drive to Rehobeth, Delaware where there are many more outlets, with tax free shopping.

O.C. is a very family oriented resort, and your family will have a lot of fun. Your three year old will love it.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 01:48 PM
Missy

Thanks for the info, Rudy. I was hoping for some outlet shopping. I am sure that my little one (not to mention myself) will really enjoy the amusement rides! I can't wait! BTW, there was a lot more info on oceancity.com than I thought. I was at work yesterday and didn't have a lot of time to property research, but today I have found that oceancity.com really does offer a lot of info. Would you recommend any certain hotel to stay?

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 01:53 PM
Missy

I do so hate to keep on with this. I usually just ignore rude people, but I couldn't help but to notice that DICK cannot even spell. What exactly does 'expicit' mean??? I'm sorry - I am taking up everyone's time with this BS. No matter what DICK writes back, I promise not to waste your time. I hate when people get rude and try to start something because they are sitting at home all alone with no life. Well, I couldn't help but write this, but this is the last time. I have to go take my son to visit his grandpa now. Thanks again for the valuable info!!! BTW, Dick, where did you think Ocean City was - in Siberia??!!??

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:09 PM
rudy

Missy:

We always stay at the Quality Inn Boardwalk, situated at 17th Street on the boardwalk, and wouldn't request anything other than an oceanfront unit. They're all efficiency units that come with a living room area with a sofa, t.v., vcr, a bedroom with two queen size beds, a kitchenette with full size refrigerator, oven, sink, microwave, and dishwasher. The living room sofa can be converted to a bed. Each unit has a deck where you can sit early in the morning to sip coffee and watch the sunrise, or late at night to watch the people strolling on the boardwalk. The hotel has two large swimming pools overlooking the ocean, and an indoor pool with a hottub area that is open until 1 a.m. Bicycles can be rented just outside the hotel. I've stayed at other hotels over the years, including the Quality Inn Oceanfront, farther up the beach and not on the boardwalk, but we like this one the best for its location, its value, and its family friendliness.

This past summer, a new hotel, the Holiday Inn Boardwalk, opened up just next door to the Quality Inn Boardwalk. We explored it, liked it, but still prefer ours. The Holiday Inn is a lot more expensive, and the rooms are a lot more plush (for example, a jacuzzi tub in each room). You can find the Holiday Inn on its website. You can find the Quality Inn Boardwalk at www.ocmdhotels/com/qiboardwalk.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:09 PM
xxx

Although he was rather rude about it- I think Dick was trying to point out, as many people on the East coast know, that there is an Ocean City, NJ as well as an Ocean City, MD. Both are equally popular shore towns so as always it would have been helpful if the state had been included in the heading.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:35 PM
Missy

Thanks for the tip about the Quality Inn Boardwalk - I will definitely look into that. I am just so excited to be looking forward to and planning a vacation since we haven't been on a real vacation since before I was pregnant. That has been almost three years!!!

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 08:37 AM

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 03:26 PM
kathie

Missy, our family has made an annual trip to OC, MD for about 20 years. We all love it so much - we are now taking my 2 year old grandson. So much to do - We've gone as early as Late April and had decent weather. Warm enough to sit on the beach if not get into the water. They've added several wooden climbing toys, like a hugh bulldozer in the sand off the boardwalk. The 2 year old could have played there all day. Don't miss the short trek to Assateaque. The is a ranger center with a short film and a really nice touch and feel display. The Island itself has 3 short but very well done trails - and of course the ponies. Even with Senior Week, OC is really a family oriented place! Have fun

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 05:20 PM
ingrid

Yes, definitely go to Assateague; it's a beautiful beach, you can hike along nature trails, and look at the wild ponies.
I've been to OC, and frankly, didn't like it that much (too crowded --- don't stay close to the northern end of town, it's huge apartment buildings), but my kids loved it.
Also, very nice are Cape Henlopen and the Delaware Seashore Park.

Finally, didn't find a decent restaurant in OC, only all-you-can-it places with greasy cafeteria-style food. Rehoboth had some very classy restaurants with excellent food (perhaps leave the little guy one night and have a decent dinner out?)

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 04:35 AM
Larry

Missy-
I don't know where you will be traveling from, but you may also want to consider Wildwood N.J. It is not as built up as O.C. and IMO it is more family oriented with several amusement piers and plenty of family oriented restaurants. Also, it is a short drive to Cape May which is a nice quiet diversion from Wildwood.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 07:56 AM
rudy

Missy:

Regarding the above poster who couldn't find a "decent" restaurant: while there are hundreds of fast food places and all you can eat buffets, there are also many excellent places to dine, several of which are child friendly. Try Harrison's Harbor Watch at the Inlet, Phillip's Seafood House, Lombardi's Trattoria, Crab Alley, Windows on the Bay, and J/R's, to name a few. We never eat at fast food places, and rarely go to buffets, but Phillip's Hotel Boardwalk, a five minute walk from the Quality Inn Boardwalk, serves a great breakfast buffet. Also, for great, homemade ice cream, try Kelly's, underneath the Phillip's Hotel Boardwalk.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:40 AM
ingrid

Thanks, Rudy; I'll check out these places next time my kids drag me to OC

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:46 AM
M.M.

"I was at work yesterday and didn't have a lot of time to property research, but....."

Missy are you vacationing or looking to buy property or just can't spell??