Oakhurst/Mariposa California?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone tell me what sort of area these two places are? We are looking for a place to relocate to and want low crime, little to no snow, nature yet close enough to a larger city to find Pharmacy jobs.

Would either of these places fit the bill?

If not, do you have suggestions?

Thanks!

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:54 AM

It has beeen a number of years since I've been to Mariposa, but it is a smaller, less active town then Oakhurst. It is a sligtly lower elevation and has less people. It seemed that most people were long time residents.

Oakhurst draws move-ins from a lot of areas including out of state. It has more people and shopping, and is just below beautiful Bass Lake.

Both are maybe equal distance to Yosemite Valley from different directions.

Oakhurst is closer to Fresno, where Mariposa is closer to Merced. Fresno is a larger city.

Oakhurst gets a slight dusting of snow on occasion and both places still get quite hot in the summer.

I have a brother in Oakhurst and a sister in Ahwahnee just next to Oakhurst. We have friends from the central coast and the San Jauquin valley who have moved to Oakhurst. Just below Oakhurst is the smaller and slowly axpanding town of Coarsegold.

My BIL moved with his family to Ahwahnee from WI. His dad built a home on 5 acres, and we enjoy visting them there.

Either way, you have about a 45 minute drive to the valley.

Hope this helps.

~ Ben
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:55 AM

These are smallish mountain towns, in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains. They are very close to the Sierra pine forests and Yosemite, but the terrain is mainly oak, grass and chaparral with hot summers, a bit of snow in winter.

The closest large city is Fresno, but would be a 40 mile commute one way. I'm sure I'll get yelled at, but Fresno is NOT a nice city. It sprawls in the middle of the flat San Joaquin valley, a huge farming area. Fresno has VERY high crime.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You got six responses to your last enquiry about Oakhurst/Mariposa. It isn't necessary to re-post, just click on your name and the others will come up in the left frame.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your posts and information. I have a much better feel for the area now. You know you can look at City Data & Sperlings but it is much better to hear it from someone who knows. Thanks!

I guess being 40 min from Fresno isn't bad. I want to stay away from crime areas so I think that should be a good distance.

Barbara, I have no idea why it posted twice. I saw that went I first posted it and couldn't figure out why it went up 2 X LOL. Oh well, I still got great answers Thanks!