Reload this Page >

Oahu Waikiki Hotel Help

Search

Oahu Waikiki Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Jim

Oahu Waikiki Hotel Help

Should we stay at the Hyatt, Hilton, or Sheraton on Waikiki ? I will be on business and my wife will be playing tourist for the week. Company pays so price isnt a factor but these are the chioces. Any help appreciated!! Thanks

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 08:32 AM
David

I've stayed at the Hyatt and it was nice. However, I believe the Hilton (I've not stayed there) is supposed to be a cut above.

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Noach

Actually, others here have said that the Hilton is not that great.

I'd consider the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel (kaimana.com ), W Hotel Honololu ( http://www.whotels.com/cities/honolulu/index.html ), the Kahala Mandarin Oriental ( http://www.mandarin-oriental.com/kahala/index.html )or the Ihilani Resort and Spa ( ihilani.com )

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Lani

Jim,

I'd opt for the Sheraton Moana Surfrider or the Royal Hawaiian (the Pink Palace - Sheraton), and opt for a room in the older sections with some history! By the way, I've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and love it, too. I'm sure your wife would not be disappointed with the Alii Tower there. Look up the different websites for these hotel groups, and see what looks good to you. My first choice would be one of the Sheratons!

Good luck.

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 01:11 PM
jim

Thanks, but we are limited on where we can stay. Anyone else prefer the Sheraton over the Hyatt? We are thinking the Hyatt would be nice.

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 06:01 PM
kalena

The Hyatt Waikiki just opened a fabulous new spa, the Na Ho'ola, that may just appeal to your wife. The hotel is contemporary, as opposed to the Sheraton Moana, with its "old Hawaii" feel. The banyan tree at the Moana veranda is a lovely unwind spot, and you can always just stop by for a sunset drink and live piano music, since you'll be here for a week. I'd check both web sites for room views, and go with what appeals to you the most.
Aloha, k

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 10:21 PM
Noach

I just thought of a suggestion for you: See what types of rooms are available to you at each of the hotels. That may help make your decision right there. I think all of the hotels you listed have enough of a reputation that you can rest-assured that they will be clean and have at least decent service. My priority would be the view you can get.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Wild Bill

Stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village over New Years and it was quite impressive. Great location on the Beach as it is on the end away from Diamond Head so it is a little less crowded than other spots. Pools are nice but a little small. They have a variety of shops and stores on-site. Also, no matter where you stay, make sure you have a frequent guest account and make sure you let them know. I am a HHonors member and got a slightly upgraded room at no extra charge and received better service than some other people. Also, the points for free can really build up for a week long stay. Have fun.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 01:22 PM
elaine

We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki
this past March. I thought it was much too large, overpriced for what it is,
and the rooms and public areas needed upgrading. The food in the restaurants was not particularly good. It does have the advantage of being right on the beach, but the hotel I was more impressed with was the Hyatt Regency, at least in its public areas.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 10:44 PM
Nancy

I suggest the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 05:58 PM
perks

Stay at the Sheraton or Hilton if you want to be on the beach. Sheraton is older but I liked the atmosphere there more than the the Hyatt. Hilton is nice at the Alii Tower.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 06:43 PM
June

We,ve stayed at the Sheraton and the Hilton. We prefer the latter for location as the beach is less crowded. I agree with the previous posters, check which hotel will give you the best room/view. A must for early evening drinks and perhaps dinner later is the Halekulani. It's an oasis in the middle of busy Waikiki! Enjoy.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 08:42 PM
pc

Stayed at the Hyatt last week for four days on the Club Floor. It was OK, but if you are a non-smoker like my family you have to really insist upon it. Even though I belong to Hyatt's Gold Passport Club and stay with Hyatt's pretty frequently, it took about 4 phone calls and one to the Hyatt Vacation's trouble shooting desk to get moved to a non-smoking room. If heights are a factor, be aware that there are 39 floors, plus a 40th floor sundeck in the building. The room was OK, not great, pie-shaped with a view of the ocean and the mountains/city. Beautiful at night. Lower floors will probably hear traffic. I went to the new spa, it was OK, not up to par with their Kauai property. I think staff may need more training--I was in a relaxation room and the only ones talking loudly were staff who walked through a number of times. I don't believe that I'll stay there again, overall I'd pick one of the Sheratons on the ocean side. The Hyatt is across the street from the beach, it is a huge hotel.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Torryn

Hi:
I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki twice this year (Feb & April) - I liked it. GREAT view if you get an ocean view room. We lived at the pool where there is the best entertainment every night. The hotel is large, for sure, and it is a conventioners hotel, but so is the Village. I liked the Sheraton's service - their food was good. The Moana is of course better I think, but much pricier. YOu can go there and have breakfast or lunch or something because you are only two blocks away from it. I personally think it is only worth it to stay in an ocean view room so you can hear the ocean when you wake up and watch the beach activity while enjoying a drink on the balcony. Have fun! I'm jealous.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 11:38 AM
MM

Jim-

I'd put my votes in for the Shearton. When my wife and I go together we stay @ the Shearton Waikiki so she can be pool and ocean side all day. Yes it's big but a ocean view room (esp. Diamond Head side is really great.

Hyatt is okay but its across the street, not a big deal really but sometimes those few steps...

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 12:45 PM
Robert

Aloha
Can any 1 tell me about the ocean resort
hotel it is on kuio and paokalani st
can any one answer is it very clean and how are the rooms deluxe ocean view as they tell me
PLEASE HELP

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 12:57 PM
carolyn

This is a high-rise hotel a couple of blocks from the beach, so the deluxe ocean view would have to be on the upper floors. We had a Diamond Head side view. It is a medium-range hotel, nice and clean but not luxury. It's at the upper end of Waikiki within walking distance of the Kodak Hula Show which is free and fun. It is also a couple of blocks from a second story open air 24-hour Denny's that overlooks the ocean. Same old food but the world's prettiest Denny's! We are in the Eastern time zone and so awakened at 3:00 a.m. the first morning, ready to go. We finally just got up and went up there to breakfast. We were seated in the front, and there was an almost full moon shining across the surf. It is the most beautiful and romantic breakfast I've ever had.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Noach

Carolyn,

Your experience sounds wonderful. Just one of the ways that Hawaii is a delightful blend of the familiar and the exotic.