Oahu w/14 yo dtr, where to stay etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the Hilton Hawaiian village be a fun place to stay?My stay is 10 nights, should I stay 4 days in Waikiki, then go North and stay somewhere else ? Should I take a side trip to another island? Cost ? I will rent a car, is it feasible to find hotel, B&B accommodations from July 4 - July 13 without a reservation?
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:44 AM

The Hilton gets a lot of raves on this board. Do a search and you'll come up with a lot of information, including this thread, below:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
....which includes dusty's famous list for first time posters.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Melissa, thanks. I checked out Dusty's email erlier. Very Comprehensive.
Still wondering about staying in 2 spots? kitkat26
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:47 PM

Why Oahu? It's like vacationing in LA. My son lives there. The only decent place to snorkel is near Kailua Bay. The beaches are great here. Don't try to swim or snorkel in Waikiki. It's too rocky.
If I had my choice, I would go back to Kauai. We've been there 5 times. It is a great island. Small and not full of tourist. You can river kayak, hike, visit their version of the grand canyon of HI, and enjoy Hawaii without all the tourists.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:38 PM

Good lord. Here we go again. Honolulu is not like LA--and I just got back from LA so I can attest to that. Waikiki is crowded and congested, but just 10 minutes away in either direction will take you to charming spots and yes, even tranquility.

Back to kitkat's question: Stay somewhere else? With 10 nights you could spend half your time on another island. The Big Island is always a good choice with kids because there's the volcanoes and the observatories. Or, as Sue suggests, you could "get away from it all" on Kauai.

As for accomodations at that time with no reservations: I wouldn't risk it. Hawaii--especially Honolulu--gets very busy at that time because of the July 4 fireworks celebrations.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:47 PM

The Hilton and Waikiki would be great for the 14 year old -- like a restrained spring break party. Especially "shopping" along kalakaua -- the main drag. Almost any other place or Island might be deadly quiet for her.

10 days can be "too much." Car rentals on Oahau are less expensive than the mainland. Most hotels charge for parking, from $10 to $25 a day!

I'd absolutely recommend a rental car. You have to drive all over the island to see all the important sights. Its hard to put on more than 100 miles a day.

The least quiet "North Shore" hotel would be Hilton's Turtle Bay. Oahu does not have many B & Bs (and they can be VERY quiet). And there are not many "better" hotels outside of the Honolulu area.

The other Islands (I've been to most all) are "similar" to Oahu just more tropical, and much less crowded -- and possibly boreing to a teen (unless she plays golf)!

Old May 31st, 2006, 05:01 PM

SueJapan, I lived in LA most of my life and would never make that comparison.

Why is it that so many Southern Californians head to Honolulu for their vacations?

To kitkat26 - you will enjoy the HHV - it's got a very good location, next to Ft. DeRussy, which has one of the biggest beaches in the Waikiki area. However, it is fairly quiet at that end of the beach.

Many years ago when my daughter was 14(now 25) and played soccer, she had a tournament at the Kapiolani Park, which is at the far end of Waikiki. Our hotel was the Pacific Beach Hotel, right across from a very "happening" beach, with surfing, kayaks, all sorts of fun things for the team. It was a great location as everything was so very close and they could easily walk everywhere on their own, yet we'd still be close enough to check on them.

And even though it generally takes a day out of your trip to go to another island and then of course returning, it might be fun to see another side of Hawaii. The suggestion of the Big Island and going to the volcano seems like a good idea. Even if it's not spewing, just walking on the black rock is pretty awesome.

I've just returned from Honolulu, and we took some nice drives around the island. It's so very scenic. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you end up!

Aloha!
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:15 PM

"Is it feasible to find hotel, B&B accommodations from July 4 - July 13 without a reservation?"

I think it would be very difficult to find anything decent without a reservation.

As far as another island? Good idea. Right now airlines are offering flights for as little as $59 roundtrip or $39 one way from Honolulu. Travel between June 9 & September 30. Unfortunately, the last day to book those flights was today, but it may be extended.

www.iflygo.com

www.alohaairlines.com

www.hawaiianairlines.com

This link has some budget ideas incuding 50 B&Bs, some on each island:

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...aii/index.html
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. Coincidentally, I am coming from LA. I have been to Maui and I chose Oahu for its activity level and that you could drive to more quiet places. Now I need to make room reservations at the HHV. Does anyoone know the least expensive way to book a reservation?