Search

Oahu-just back

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2000, 08:18 PM
cj

Oahu-just back

Five Days. This is third trip so we only did certain things. So this is what we liked and note we are the touristy type.

1. Stayed at Sheraton Waikiki, nice place, and as always the oceanfront rooms are amazing. Sea turtles feeding in the afternoons. Close to everything. Hula every evening.

2. Duke's Canoe. Best view, good food, people watching, buffet breakfast or lunch. We had a lunch and a dinner. For dinner: get there about 4 to get on list and get a buzzer. Have some nice drinks, listen to music, boom restuarant opens at 5 and you are there. As we were leaving, there was a long line to get in. All I can say is Hula Pie, Hula Pie, Hula Pie.

2A. Absolutely go on one of the catamarans on Waikiki beach. It is a blast on the water looking back to shore. We went on Mai Tai in front of Sheraton. It was $20 per person and worth it. These guys were a little over the edge, we all got soaked, and my husbands flip/flop shoe (ha, I almost wrote thong) went overboard and bye-bye. They sell mai tai and beer and wine I think.

3. Rented an Avis car right in hotel lobby
they took us to car 5 blocks away.

4. On Lewers St is Island Cafe, good food, reasonable price for all meals...I like portugese french toast and portugese sausage
block and a half west of sheraton...beachside of kalakaua

5. Hey, I really like Hilo Hatties, great colors, nice shirts, beach wear, watch the ladies work, and this time we meet a 60"s calif surfer who works in the extensive jewelry dept, "Sparky" Hudson is his name. I look at gift shops and such as little museums.

6. My favorite place is the Fabric Mart on Kalakaua Avenue. It was open on Easter. I bought some old 50's type patterned material to cover patio furniture.

7. Ok. The water is cold to us, but, we live in Florida.

8. Drove to northshore, fantastic. In haleiwa, perfect timing, the BayWatch boat was at the little city park giving free rides during a special festival. Vavoom, wow. They say filming will start again in June.

9. Good shops along the haleiwa main drag. I really like one that said "something" interiors. Always go in all Wyland Galleries and this one is the best cause he lives in the area.

10. Anyway, drive past there and on past where the road is out (they are diverting thru the beach area) and stop at different places where other cars are parked to watch surfers. Stop at the one that looks like a park with restrooms on the left. below is great snorkeling. We drove a ways and parked where there weren't many cars and walked the beach. (Although I usually look for heart shaped rocks, my theory is collect what you see, so I got alot of colored glass, coral, and bits of driftwood. (Yes, we bought another suitcase at ABC) We came back to Haliewa and ate outdoors at Jameisons by the Sea. They have Hula Pie too, but, ask for more hot fudge.

11. Traveling with us is alittle different huh. We are to ones you see drinking the mai tai as you jog by. Hi...

12. Anyway, one day we went over the Pali, (take the old road,stop at overlook), road around Kaneohe Bay and stopped at Kailua Beach and drove back around back to waikiki thur Hawaii Kai, drive inside Diamond Head just to say you did.

13. From past trips I would suggest Bishop Museum, Pearl Harbor, Luau (they're real commercial, but the entertainment is great, you feel like a sardine, but have a nice drink and enjoy.

14. Favorites: The museum at Ft DeRussy in Waikiki is outstanding. I like to walk around the Pink Royal Hawaiian hotel and look at the old paintings, photos, flowers,
trees, etc. Hang around the Banyan tree at the Moana, another historic place. there's a man who gives a tour, but he talks alot (over a hour) and really doesn't take you around the hotel. Just go up to the second floor & look at the displays.

15. To us it is best to walk around and shop in Waikiki in the evening after dinner, to the international market etc. There is usually entertainment on the street and it's balmy and people watching is great.

I'll do Maui part of trip another time.

Old May 11th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Lani

"cj",

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous trip report. Yours is the kind that I print out to take on my next trip, to remind me of little things! I've been to the Islands four times, and never get tired of going there or hearing all about others' adventures there.

It's great that you're speaking to what a great time you can have on Oahu (I hate it when people bash Oahu, without really knowing anything about it, don't you?) Anyway, thanks again! Am anxiously awaiting your travel report on Maui!

Aloha (and loved traveling with you),
Lani

Old May 11th, 2000, 05:10 PM
lablvr

Thanks for posting the details of your trip. I like to hear firsthand experience rather than read something from a brochure. Can you elaborate on the catamaran excursion? For only $20 I take it you didn't get anything to eat. I assumed there were only meal-type sails which cost about $50 per person and up. We leave in a few weeks on a first time trip to Oahu, BI and Maui. Please post your Maui highlights as well. Thanks in advance.

Old May 11th, 2000, 05:48 PM
kalena

Hey, cj.
Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for posting. Cheers!

Old May 13th, 2000, 04:01 PM
cj

The catamarans on the beach are simple boat rides with refreshments.

As all others have mentioned get every single brochure, they are full of activities and most will pick you up for various dinner cruises.

For the fishermen out there, my hubby did book a night fishing trip on the Sashumi (sp) but the captain called about four and cancelled cause of small craft warnings. They will pick you up.

Here is address for Fabric Mart. 1631 Kalakaua Ave. It is back over the bridge.