Oahu-Hilton vs. Hyatt

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Tina

Oahu-Hilton vs. Hyatt

My husband and I are going to Oahu in Sept and we're looking at the Hilton or Hyatt on Waikiki. Anyone have any opinions on which is better? (we don't have children)
Also - wld spending entire vacation in Oahu be terrible?
Thanks

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Rosina

Dear Tina,
Go with the Hilton. It's a beautiful property and right on the beach. If I remember correctly the Hyatt is one block away from the beach. The Ali'i Tower is a beautiful Tower stay here if you could afford it. I do not know about the other towers. Have a great time.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Becky

The new Lagoon tower at Hilton Hawaiian Village rents out units from the Hilton.com website. This is a timeshare tower, just opened this year, so unsold units are rented. A studio AARP rate is $125/nt., NO balcony, but a nice kitchenette, and very deluxe. One bedroom units, WITH balcony, are more money, of course, and I don't know your budget. But a kitchenette or full kitchen/separate living/bed area will always beat out a hotel room. Right on the beach, whereas in the hotel section of HHV only Rainbow Tower is right on the beach. HHV is on and next to Waikiki's widest stretch of beach, some of those others are pretty skinny or not there at all! If beach matters to you, beware!
We will ALSO be there in Sept., and for 10 days! So you can see how I feel about your last question! There is just SO MUCH to do!

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 03:59 PM
pam

Dear Tina,
I stayed at the Hyatt in 2000 with my husband and two kids. It is located right across the street from Waikiki Beach. We stayed in the Diamond Tower.
We had a large room and wonderful
unobstructed view of the ocean and Diamond Head. We liked the location as it was easy to walk alot of places. They have since added a spa. The pool is located on the third floor between the two towers overlooking the beach. There is also a car rental place right there which is great if you just want to rent by the day to explore other parts of the Island. Oahu is our favorite Island because there's so much to do. We are going back in February but this tim we are going to try the Sheraton Moana-Surfrider. We have been on the Hilton grounds but have never stayed and the only reason was because of the location wasn't right for us. If it's in your budget check on the Halekalani. I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling. That's going to be our hotel of choice when we no longer bring the kids. Have fun!

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Liora

Go with the Helakalani with a view of Diamond Head, I have never stayed there but its supposed to be amazing. I have stayed at the Pink Sheraton which is nice and centrally located. That would be my second recommendation. The moana surfrider is a differetn hotel and is an older property but brunch on Sunday there is great, its an easy walk from the pink one. The Hyatt is not on the beach but its not far. I have friends who liked the Hilton, the problem is its not on the main strip of Waikiki. The nicest beaches are on Oahu but its crowded. I find Oahu slightly stressful (and I am from NY!). The other Islands are more relaxing. We have gone to Hawaii for a week from the East Coast and gone straight to Maui. Its beautiful, relaxing and there is still lots to do. On Maui stay at the four seasons or the Royal Waikaloan (sp. For our first vacation in Hawaii we spent 3 days in Oahu, then went to the big island (you can skip) and then Maui. For our second trip we subsituted Kaui for the Big Island. It is very nice and we loved Captain Andy's dolphin sail.

Theres lots to do on Oahu but its not relaxing

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 04:52 PM
lisa

I would not stay at the Hyatt. Stayed there in December and were disappointed. We are huge Hyatt fans and always stay at the Hyatt, but I didn't think Waikiki lived up to their other resorts. There was, however, a wonderful restaurant in the Hyatt called Cio Mein (sp). Believe it or not it was a Chinese Italian restaurant.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 09:33 AM
carelle

I didn't like the location of the Hyatt. You step out the front door to crowded streets. It's a very central location and on the busy noisy main drag. The Hilton is more isolated but to my way of thinking, thats what makes it better! Some of the Waikiki beach hotels have been built so close to each other that you feel like you're crowded.