Search

Oahu Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu Help

September '09, myself and two children under 10yrs visiting cousing at naval base on Oahu. Would like information re: rentals/hotels/etc..that are kid oriented/friendly..prefer a calm beach. Accom. don't have to be beachfront. Something that won't "break the proverbial bank" if that's even an option LOL
Any other tips such as air travel, etc would be appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Jen
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 08:46 AM

When asking for information about hotels, it is important to state your budget in dollars. "Break the proverbial bank" may mean different things to different people.

You are also planning 11 months in advance. You should get ideas, but not book anything until closer to your trip, so as to take advantage of special offers.

It would also be helpful to tell us where you are traveling from. It is difficult to give air travel suggestions not knowing which airlines service your area.

www.kayak.com or www.expedia.com are reasonable starts to find some ideas of pricing.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you want a place near the naval base?

Or in Waikiki? Or elsewhere?
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM

I'm not sure about eligibility but your cousin could check on the military housing at Barbers Point.

If you want Waikiki there are several places in the $100 a night range.

We got our plane tickets in May with all the turmoil that was going on but we still thought fares would drop more than they have.
Right now it's only $30 less than what we paid not nearly enough to try changing anything.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I would be flying out of NYC, JFK or LGA and would like to stay near the naval base...
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Almost all of the hotels on Oahu are in Waikiki.

There are a few hotels near the airport. But they are not very good compared to most hotels in Waikiki.

You are probably better off getting a hotel or condo in Waikiki.

Lots of Oahu info:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...hu_Hawaii.html
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM

There are a couple airport hotels which are closer to the naval base than Waikiki hotels, and affordable in price. I think breakfast is included which makes it a good deal. No beaches here.

http://www.bestwesternhawaii.com/hot...e-plaza-hotel/

http://www.ohanahotels.com/hotels_detail.aspx?hotel=91
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM

You'll want to read the reviews on the airport hotels. There's only a couple (3?) and they don't get very good comments. I think you'd only want to stay there if the location is your only consideration.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM

You might be eligible to stay at the Hale Koa. It is the absolute BEST value in Hawaii. It is also very kid friendly. You cannot beat the price. Check out your eligiblity on HaleKoa.com.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM

I would try to have your cousin try and get you a room at the Hale Koa. The price will depend on his or her rank, so it may or may not "break the bank."

The airport hotels are the closest to Pearl Harbor, but not a place you want to vacation.

Try the Ohana hotel chain. Some of their hotels are very reasonable. They're in Waikiki, so all are reasonably close to the beach.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 07:09 AM

If you are willing to try Waikiki, check out the Queen Kapiolani hotel. This September I found some very good rates on their website thru internet booking (1/2 priced ocean view rooms). It's across from a very calm (sheltered) stretch of ocean on Waikiki beach.

Of if you can get into Hale Koa, that's an excellent idea and option.

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM

My parents are retired AF and they are going with my sister and family next spring and staying at the Hale Koa for some riduculously low rate a night. Hale Koa is beautiful, right on the beach next to Hilton Hawaiian Village. They have shuttles. I'll bet one runs to the base.