Search

Oahu Activities

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu Activities

A group of us are going to Oahu in March, for six days. We are looking for some activities to do while we are there. Other than Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head is there anything that is a must do?

Also, is it better to book with the companies when we get there, or through a travel agent/travel website? Thank you for any ideas you can offer.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I was in Oahu a little over a year ago.

There are quite a few things I would recommend trying to fit into your schedule....time and interest permitting.

1. We did a dolphin catamaran cruise on the west coast of the island, the name of the cruise company escapes me now, but they launched from the Wainaie (sp?) marina area. It was about a 4 hour cruise, where we were able to see dolphins in their natural environment, and snorkel with them as well.(If you chose NOT to snorkel, it was still amazing!) If the company name comes to me, I'll post again.

2. The Polynesian Cultural Center. I didn't visit this site, as time was limited, and I heard many people had issues with the "authenticity" of the place, but looking back, I wish I had stopped by.

3. The North Shore...Haleiwa. A great little surf town, where you can watch some of the best surfers on the best waves of the world.

4. A luau...while they may not be totally authentic, the one we went to, Paradise Cove, was definitely worth the experience..to see some Hawaiian dance and activities and learn about the culture. It was fun, and you get to meet other visitors from all over the world as well. Can't beat the "punch" either...ha ha

5. Rent a car for a day or so....the island is extremely easy to navigate, and you can basically circle the entire island along the water, all the while getting great mountain and water views, and you can stop at Hanauma Bay, Fisherman's Hat, Rabbit Island, the Dole Plantation, etc. I truly recommend heading out on your own a bit...you can go at your own pace and see some truly amazing sights.

6. And my absolute favorite part of Oahu..Lanikai Beach! It's about a half hour from Waikiki by car, on the east coast of the island. It's a residential area, but you'll be able to find parking and public beach access. It's a beautiful beach, very quiet compared to Waikiki, and absolutely stunning. You may recognize it when you see it, the two small islands slightly off shore are world famous and the site of many a photo shoot. I loved it so much I had to visit twice during my stay.

7. You may also want to check out the flagship Hilo Hattie store, there's a free shuttle from Waikiki. It's got the greatest concentration of Hawaii merchandise you'd ever hope to see.

I'd also recommend a cocktail..a mai tai or pink beer, at the beachfront Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian hotel (the big pink one) right on Waikiki beach. Great atmosphere, great drinks, and a stunning view of Diamond Head.

One excursion I would not recommend is the Atlantic Submarine cruise. While I had never been on a sub before, which made for an interesting experience, there really was not that much to see while underwater, not many fish and such. Seeing as it was very expensive, you may want to consider skipping it....just my opinion.

I also made ALL of my reservations for excursions, and some dining, in advance..usually using the company's website. It will probably be fairly crowded in March, so you want to make sure you don't miss out, so I'd definitely book in advance...plus it'll save you time when you get there.

Anyway, hope this was helpful...I am jealous, I would love to go back.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the information. We do have a car for our entire stay, so getting out and seeing the island should not be a problem. On the dolphin cruise, where the dolphins close to you? Also, did you do any of the whale watching cruises?
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 01:12 PM

The dolphins were able to get very close to the catamaran..since the boat is very eco-friendly and the dolphins seem to "know" the boat and the crew..it was very special, something I won't forget. I was able to get great photos and video.

I remember the name of the company is Wildside Specialty tours. If you do a web search - you should find the link.

I wasn't there the right time of year to do any whale watching but would have loved to.

Also, you may want to check out the Pali Lookout, and Waimea Falls...I forgot to add those before.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Aloha plemonss,

Get the book "Driving & Discovering Hawaii - O'ahu" by Richard Sullivan.

It's a great read with wonderful photos and overall very informative guide book. It also contains well detailed maps... my copy is worn badly, but it's one of my most valuable guide books.

You'll get a much better feel of what you want to do once you're more educated by all of the choices available... and fitting them into your time frame. I find it's nice to select a number of things that I'd like to do, and if we get to it, great... if not, it just means a return trip!

Grab the book and you'll have a blast playing around with all of the choices.
Do everything yourself... you don't need to rely on tour operators on O'ahu... there's way to much to do on your own.

Also, do a search on this forum for the thread titled, "Why I love Oahu, too". Great stuff!

Happy planning.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for the information. We are looking forward to our trip.

The Sacred Falls that you mentioned, is this a place you have to walk to or is it a place that you can drive to?

Also has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Waikiki? How is it?
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 04:53 PM

I did not stay at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki...but had breakfast there one morning.

It seemed like a nice hotel, although, I have to admit, more like a typical very large hotel you could see anywhere. It's in a pretty good location, right across the street from the beach.

Personally, I would prefer one of the local smaller resorts/hotels with a more Hawaiian feel...the Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton Moana Surfrider are two that come to mind. If you choose the Surfrider, ask for the Banyan Wing if you want older, more historic rooms in the main building, as there is a modern wing added to the original building.

Or, if you want to go all out, I stayed a few nights at the Halekulani...it was a heavenly experience!

What age range does your group fall in? Based on that, I may be able to give you a better hotel recommendation.

You asked about Sacred Falls? I assume you meant Waimea Falls? I did not go there, but wish I had. It's on the northwestern (I think) side of the island, so you'd have to drive to get there.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

We are all in our late twenties. We have been told that Outrigger on the Beach is pretty nice, and that Dukes is a must. Is this true?
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:16 PM

yes, Duke's is a must for visitors.

As for Sacred Falls....you can no longer go there. there was a huge accident there years ago and it has since been closed to the public.

plemonss, don't forget to do a search for other threads that talk about Oahu! You won't get all the answers you want just on this thread.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Wow, really cool to read everyone's ideas, which were really right on!

Duke's is a great beach-side bar. Was just there a week ago. I was born & raised in Kailua, but now live in DC, fyi. While at Duke's, Get the
"tropical itch" drink... Hehe. And Lanikai is my favorite beach! You can rent kayaks at Kailua Sailboards (near Island Snow) and kayak out to the Mokes... That is something very few tourists get to do... A real treat.

For things to do on Oahu, here are my top choices:

(1) Waikiki is a good place to learn to surf. You can rent a board by the Duke statue and get a lesson there also. Be warned that it can get kinda crowded tho. I have always liked visiting the International Marketplace to bargain for jewlery...

(2) It's always a good idea to visit Pearl Harbor and pay your respects at USS Arizona. http://www.nps.gov/usar/

(3) Whenever I go home, a day up at the North Shore is a MUST!! We went last week. Take Kaneohe Bay Drive the long way along the coast for some amazing views. Stop at the Famous White Shrimp Truck in Kahuku & get the garlic shrimp. There are tons of roadside stands if you want fresh coconut... Then check out the waves at Sunset Beach! And visit the turtles at Lani's Beach. Then, go to Haleiwa town and shop at all the cute stores. You also could get Matsumoto's shave ice, but the line is soooo long now!

(4) Not sure if many tourists go see the Iolani Palace? It's where Hawaii's royalty used to live! You also can visit the Mission House and state Capitol. http://www.iolanipalace.org/

(I personally would skip the Polynesian Cultural Center. VERY TOURISTY.)

(5) Kailua & Lanikai for the best beaches on the island! You can rent kayaks or surf boards at Kailua Surfboards, or take kite surfing or windsurfing lessons. Afterwards, get shave ice at Island Snow & a teriyaki steak at Buzz's. http://www.kailuasailboards.com/index.html

Hope that helps! Have fun! Aloha!

Malia
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Tinam

Another thing you MUST do is to go to the Aloha Stadium Flea Market on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. It's a blast!
I just purchased a book "OAHU REVEALED" which I recommend!!!
Have a blast!

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:37 AM

The flea market is also a great place to get CHEAP sarongs, shells, straw beach bags, beach towels... Basically it's where we locals go to get cheap stuff that tourists pay an arm and a leg for! Good tip!

And ... If you really are looking for bargains, Check out Waikele outlets. Can get BCBG, Banana, Ann Klien, COACH, Bebe, tons of good stuff!!
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet...ting.asp?id=29
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Visit the Sheraton Moana Surfrider, right across the street (Kalakaua) from the Hyatt. Intersting historical tour is given several days a week, or you can just walk 'round the lobby yourself, take wide, beautiul old stairway to the upstairs historical room, have a drink under the Banyan tree in the back courtyard, or have tea on the verandah, sit on a rocker on the front or back porch, etc taking it all in! Duke's is next door, and yes, it is great fun,
Agree with great suggestions in above posts, e.g Iolani Palace. You have to pre-book reservations. For more history nearby, Mission Houses Museum and the church made of blocks carved on coral.Yes, Lanikai is beautiful!!! Stop at Pali Lookout for amazing view, if you head over on Pali Hwy. Oh, how I LOVE Oahu!!
If you're into shopping, try Ward Warehouse, and Aloha Tower Marketplace (great location) which also has good nightspots for music/ food/drinks/dancing.
For great shave ice in Honolulu--Waiola shave ice. Soft and velvety perfect texture. Arund the corner is good Thai restaurant, Chiang Mai.
Makai1--Yes that Sulllivan book is a GEM!!
DCMalia, didn't I recently see you on Costa Rica Forum??? You sure do get around