NYC with teenagers

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:54 AM
donna

NYC with teenagers

we are planning a trip to NYC in early March with our teenagers. where would be a
good place to stay? they want to see MTV's TRL show, too. any other recommendations for their age? thanks

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Trish

Hi Donna,
My family went to NYC 2 years ago for a long week-end. We stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan. It was very nice, included excellent breakfast & appetizers from 4-6 p.m. The location was great. We walked everywhere! Kids favorite was the Museum of Natural History. I gave them each a cheap camera for the trip. They used all their pictures at the museum. The entire museum was impressive.
From this hotel we were also able to walk to Times Square. Great fun at night.
We had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, and this too was a big hit.
We walked to Madison Square Garden and saw the Barnum & Bailey circus. This walk was a long one, we took taxi back to hotel.
We also took the subway to the Statue of Liberty. VERY long lines to enter the Statue of Liberty!!
NY City remains one of my kid's favorite destinations. Have a great time.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:28 AM
thereuare

If it's within the budget, see Blue Man Group at the Astor Place theater, something BOTH you and the kids will talk about for a long time to come (~$50/tix last time i checked).

An inexpensive/reasonable place to eat near Time Square is John's Pizza (44th Street just east of 8th Ave) which as good pizza and a great atmosphere (it's in a renovated church).

I would be sure to go to the top of the Empire State Building, as well as a walk around Chinatown. I would skip trying to get to the Statue of Liberty (with lines, it'll take 3/4 of a day) and just take the Staten Island Ferry roundtrip... it gives a great view of the downtown skyline as well as passes by the Statue.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:38 AM
marj

definitely spend some time in the village/soho area. the teens will love walking around and checking out the various little shops, washington sq park, st. marks place, etc. It's loaded with young poeple (the village is the NYU campus). Also tons of good places to eat.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:33 PM
lili

just entertained two teenaged GIRLS in the last month on separate occasions.

Tops were:
st. mark's place (shopping)
canal street (gucci/prada/kate spade knockoffs)
soho/noho (broadway, esp.--girlpops-jewelry store on Prince nr. W. Broadway)
34th street shopping (H&M)
Musical: Rent
Chinatown: Pearl River @ brdwy & canal st.
Rollerblading/biking in Central Park (rent bikes in park--blades at Blades Board and Skate)
Guggenheim and Met
Tea at Tea and Sympathy

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Penny

I recommend staying in Times Square. We just took a family vacation last spring and stayed at the Crowne Plaza, which is right on Broadway, just a block or two outside Times Square.

There are a number of hotels right there--the Crowne Plaza had a good last-minute rate, which is why we chose it, and we'd definitely try to stay there again.

Check out hoteldiscounts.com or travelweb.com or any of the other discount sites you can find mentioned in this forum. My usual procedure is to do lots of Web research and then call the services to hammer out details with a human. If you do reserve online, though, be sure to print out your confirmation and take it with you.

Seeing TRL will take only a small part of your time. Just walking around the Times Square area will probably interest them. Definitely see a show or two or more. If you go to www.playbill.com, you can see listings of what's on stage. There's a half-price ticket booth right in Times Square, where you can get tickets for the same day. In March, you shouldn't have too much trouble with most shows. Or you can go right to the box offices and try to get last-minute tickets.

We took the NBC studio tour, which was fun. You get to see the Saturday Night Live set (from a window) and the Rosie O'Donnell set. There's also a Museum of Broadcasting or something like that--we didn't get there but it was on our list. Other people had recommended Sony Wonder, which is free.

We did go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and they enjoyed parts of that, particularly the Egyptian temple. Walking up and down Fifth Avenue was a hit with my daughter (15).

Friends had highly recommended the Museum of Natural History, which has a new planetarium that's supposed to be excellent. We didn't get there, either (we had only two full days).

I second the recommendation for John's Pizzeria. We loved it. We also ate at Ellen's Stardust Diner, but I was disappointed. The wait staff occasionally breaks into song, which is sometimes fun and sometimes awful. The menu wasn't that interesting.

For breakfast, you can just run out to one of the many local delis (or Starbucks) and get bagels and milk and juice and coffee. Lunch is also easy--there are any number of pizza joints and delis around.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and we took cabs when we needed to get to, say, the Metropolitan. It was no more expensive than taking four of us on the subway.