Reload this Page >

nyc with my 10 yr old.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2000, 09:56 AM
kathy

It's a surprise b-day trip for my 10 yr old. I haven't been in years, someone recommended Hotel Pennsylvania. Any imput? We're coming in to Penn Station and not driving, just the two of us, (mom & son) is this safe? Clean? Think I can get a better deal somewhere else? How 'bout a pool? I know, lots of questions, thanx for all your help/info.
PS: LOVE this site, great message boards, I'll be here alot

Old May 31st, 2000, 10:06 AM
Owen O'Neill

Yes the Pennsylvania is safe and clean but some complaint hat it's a trifle worn and busy due to the number of tour groups that stay there. It is a large and busy hotel but reasonably priced and conveniently located directly across from Penn Station. Of the hotels in that immediate area I prefer the New Yorker (a block west at the corner of 8th Ave and 34th Street) because the rooms are larger and it was completely renovated within the past 2-3 years - it's in the same price range. Keep in mind that there is not an abundance of dining options in that immediate area in the evening but public transport (bus or subway) are both readily available if you have a desire to try the village or the east side for dining options (both have an abundance of choices). There are precious few hotels in NYC with pools - I'd leave that off your wish list. As for whether it's a good deal... how much are you paying!?

Old May 31st, 2000, 10:15 AM
kathy

I am paying $139.00 & tax...
How's the New Yorker priced?

Old May 31st, 2000, 11:34 AM
howard

If a pool is an important amenity, check with the Sheraton Manhattan (7th Ave., spanning 51st & 52nd Sts.). The location is centrally located to many, many midtown tourist sites.

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:11 PM
Owen O'Neill

The new Yoprker is likely to be priced comparably or a bit higher. The Sheraton that Howard mentioned is likely (almost certainly) to be more $$ but is a more convenient location in some regards. I haven't stayed there but suspect it's also a nicer property than the Pennsylvania.