NYC-Where would YOU live?

Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC-Where would YOU live?

If you could live anywhere in Manhattan, where would (do) you live and why?
Upper West side - Lincoln Center, Columbus Ave.
Upper East side - shopping, museums.
Soho, Tribeca, Battery Park...the possibilities are endless!
This only has to do with travel in the context of moving from ones existing home to a new one. But I thought it would be fun/interesting to get ideas from everyone.
Thanks~Scarlett
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:49 AM

In my case it's where I live, Greenwich Village. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. It's a small town in a big city.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:52 AM

During the first few years of my career back in the late 80's early 1990's, I was often asked to take college students that my firm was recruiting to lunch. Invaribly, this question always came up as many of them were going to be new to the area.

My general answer (which I qualified as being a generalization) was always the same, if you are more of an artsy type, live downtown. More of a corporate/frat boy type, live on the Upper East Side. A bit of both, then live on the Upper West Side.

For the most part I lived in the East 50's, I guess that makes me neither fish nor fowl. In my single days, I liked the area because it was as easy to get downtown as it was to get uptown and I could walk to work.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:04 AM

Chelsea.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:04 AM

I live on the UWS and love it! BUT (big but), I would certainly live in Tribeca if I could afford major space (i.e., 3,000-4,000 sq. ft. loft)!! >-
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:10 AM

If I were to go back to Manhattan, I would like to live in Tribeca or the West Village because they are quiet, beautiful neighborhoods with lots of "hidden treasures". And very few tourists. I've always liked the Upper West, too...maybe if I were to have kids, I'd live there. It has lots of great old brownstones, and is situated between two large parks (where I still spend a lot of time even though I live in Brooklyn).

I used to live on the Upper East, mostly because it was cheap. But Ryan is right...it's full of Frat-boy, partying, just-out-of college kids. I moved out of there when I was about 30 years old...I just didn't fit in anymore!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:18 AM

When in grad skool, I lived on the Upper West Side. 100th St. between West End Ave and Riverside. I really liked living there. Such a variety of people. (Plus, 2bed/2bath for $550 was UNHEARD OF.)

Haven't been back to NYC for almost 20 years (tho will this summer) Reading about these neighborhoods brings back memories!

I'd probably pick the Village if I were to ever live there.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:34 AM

I've lived in three of the five boroughs.
1. Sunnyside, Queens. 7 train is crowded, as is the area, but it's cheap and lots of ethnic diversity btwn Sunnyside and Jackson Heights.
2. UWS, 94th and CPW. snobby pseudo-intellectuals who would knock old ladies over in line, but having the park out the front door was quite nice.
3. Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. The best.

If I were to live in NYC again, and money weren't an issue, I would say Tribeca, West Village or Battery Park.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM
GoTravel

Brooklyn Heights in one of those beautiful old brownstones with a breathtaking view the Brooklyn Bridge and lower Manhattan.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

This is so great! You know, we really should have a NYC Fodorite GTG someday!
We are moving. Trying to decide where we would like to be this time/who we would like to be this time
Artsy? Certainly not Fratboy~ Upper East side lady has a certain appeal.But then there is the UWS by the Museum and the Park..Pup has to be near the Park.
Thank you all , please do tell me more!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:29 PM

If you would consider living in Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights is great. It is a "real" neighborhood, where you actually get to know your neighbors. And it's full of pretty brownstones. It's right on the water, and you're so close to Manhattan that you can walk there. I do every weekend. There is a very large dog run in the North Heights for Pup!

A new park (Brooklyn Bridge Park) is being built along the waterfront of Bklyn Heights and Dumbo (my hood) that might just rival Central Park!

Scarlett, tell us more about yourself and maybe we can find a good "fit" for you, neighborhood-wise.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

More about myself??
well , I was raised in the South and married a Yankee!
I am just interested in where everyone else lives and why
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:01 PM

The village, definitely. I lived there for a year and loved it. The shopping, restaurants and cafes can't be beat. I also lived on the upper east side, it was more low key. I loved being able to walk to SoHo, Chinatown, east village and union square. And pup can go to Washington Square Park!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:32 PM

In case you are still curious Scarlett, I should have pointed out that I now live in Hoboken. While I love the city, we have a really nice 2,000 sq ft, three bedroom apartment (with balconey) right on the Hudson with a skyline view of the city from the Battery to the GWB. We also have a 24 hour doorman and a swimming pool, at a rent that is significantly less than we would pay in the city for something comparable. The commute isn't bad as the ferry is 1 block from our door. Door to door to my midtown office it's about 30 minutes.

While I miss the "action" of the city, we've found that with two small children the neighborhood environment is a fair trade-off.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:45 PM

Scarlett:
You are correct about a NYC GTG there seems to be enough of us. When I first met my husband he was living in NYC and me a country girl from Connecticut . I hated it. He lived on Hudson street in a building called the Printing House. Greaat views of the HUdson from the roof top patio and Pool. Great when MAcy's had the fireworks on the west side. BUt the down fall was terrible parking and the westside traffic was a nightmare driving in.
I was used to being able to drive eveywhere and have parking lots around. Now I sometimes miss it and would probably move back to the area now.So close to the seaport, chine town, little ialy, soho,noho etc.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:00 PM

Like Ryan used to, I live in the East 50s. I moved from Lincoln park in Chicago and in one day found the greatest apartment that I ended up buying at the end of the day. If I had the time to look, the available apartments, and knew more about NYC at the time I would have picked the Upper West Side. This is partly b/c I commute to CT and it's an easier commute. While I do not love Midtown it is extremely easy to get to all areas of the city from where I live. One block away is the EV6 trains and they can take me to most places in the city. My building is great although it's a lot of older people (I'm in my 30s) but it's clean, well maintained, and not too far from things like Saks, Rock Center, etc. I also adore the West Village. You can't really go wrong, esp. if you are willing to get on a subway to get places. It's a pain sometimes, but well worth it. As I said, I got a good deal and time was ticking so I took it. I wish things could be a bit different but I would rather live in a great place in not my first choice neighborhood than in a box somewhere and be miserable. Try to get that NYC board going-I'd love that! Good luck.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:15 PM

Not only can I tell you which neighborhood, but if I had unlimited resources, I can tell you exactly where I would live. I would stay in my neighborhood - Chelsea, but I would move into this little brick house on West 24th street. We looked at it before we bought our current apartment. It was built before they kept records in NYC - so somewhere around 1830. It is small and charming with a small beautiful garden. If I had the funds, I would make the current owner an offer right now.