Search

NYC-Walking Shoes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC-Walking Shoes

Anyone have advise on comfortable and warm walking shoes for New York? I'll be there from NYE to Jan 4th. I've heard about La Canadienne but they are hard to find in a state like CA.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:42 PM

Look for Santana, they are Canadian shoes. Waterproof leather, usually lined with flannel or something warm.
For January, boots would be good, skip the shoes.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:08 PM

Nordstom's catalogue carries both brands. Just go to www.nordstrom.com. I always buy La Canadienne-they are terrific and run true to size. They are made in Canada. I was in Nordstrom's last week, and noticed that the Santana's were also nice. I'm not sure if they are made in Canada. You can buy online, and if you need to, you can send the merch. back if there is a fitting problem. I think if you have to change sizes you do not have to pay for shipping the 2nd time.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM

http://www.lordjohnsfootwear.com/pro...?idCategory=16

Santana Boots-I think you can look at pictures of the boots and get an idea..they are made in Canada.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 05:22 PM
E

I have a pair of Santana lace-up ankle boots, and they're very nice--warm-ish, as they're lined with flannel, and waterproof. They're very comfy,and run true to size. I also like that they're not big and clunky (although I adore Uggs, too!)Whatever brand you choose, just get something waterproof and black! NYC makes for dirty, dirty shoes.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:45 PM
OliveOyl

Despite what someone said on another thread about waterproof shoes/boots being everywhere, that was my mission today and I struck out at all the majors--Nordstrom, Neimans, Saks, L&T, Dillards. Nordstrom tried to sell me a pair of patent leather (oh the water will run right off them) Prada boots...teeny little heel despite my mission statement of a decent looking waterproof shoe or boot for walking miles and miles in the rain in Paris. My feet were never as miserable as they were in soggy London and I don't want an encore!

I saw some Santana lace up boots in Travelsmith.com...not bad. Not the same as your link Scarlett. Have never bought shoes online, but you all say they run true to size and are very comfortable? Any other suggestions? It doesn't look like I'm going to have any luck in Tampa. In a state with 350 something days of sunshine, I guess waterproof isn't a high priority.

Oh I did see a pair of Burberry plaid rubber boots, made by the same. They were a bit over the top but sure would have done the trick! lol

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 07:04 PM
OliveOyl

Just looked at your LordJohnFootwear Scarlett. Lots more choices!! Oh...when I passed on the Prada's my Nordstrom salesman moved on to Paul Green...also in your website. I tried on the first 4 shoes on the site...all cute, but too casual for what I wanted and again, not water proof. Cute shoes though..may have to have a pair for jeans here. Have you ever bought from that website?

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 03:38 AM

Has anybody tried Zappo's.com? My daughter-in-law orders shoes and boots from there regularly. They won't ship to us in Canada but she gets them shipped here to my daughter's in NY and eventually somebody brings them across the border for her. She says the prices are great and they have a wide selection of brands and styles.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Ahhh Shoe Shopping~
Sometimes it seems that I live to find the perfect pair of shoes..and it seems I have not quite found them yet!
I have never bought shoes online. I must try them on, walk in them, wiggle my toes and generally, break them in , in the store, before I decide they really don't feel all the right and give them back. But then, once in a while, I will put on a shoe and it was made for me!
Nordstroms is having their Half Yearly Sale-wonderful if you like being a part of a huge herd of ardent shoe shoppers.
My including the site was merely to illustrate the shoe, not the site..I envy those who are able to shop without trying on.
I have had Santana boots for years. They are always comfortable, never look worn out and are definitely warm and keep your feet dry. We are talking about walking in the chilly rain here, I have worn mine, ankle deep in snow and those little feet have stayed fine.
I believe there is a huge mall in Orlando Fl? Perhaps that would be worth the drive to find the right shoes? Or what about Palm Beach? I hear they have some nice things?
FYI- I did buy a pair of Paul Greens. Got them home, thought they were a tad casual but great for long walks in big parks with a Pup. The next day I put them on and they hurt. They are now back in the store.
My most favorite shoe of all right now and I think one of you ladies has them- ICONS~
What a treat to talk about shoes as I wake up
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 05:26 AM

I almost always order my shoes on-line because it's so hard to find my size in stores (size 10.5 feet!). I usually order from nordstrom.com, but have also ordered from zappos. I've had good experiences with both.

I second Ugg. They are very comfortable and warm. They make great winter walking shoes for NYC.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 05:28 AM
GoTravel

About two years ago I bought a pair of Prada boots that have a very thick rubber sole, square toe, very very comfy.

OO-while you should know any kicky little heel will kill your feet while doing any city walking, I bet your feet looked great!

What ever boot you pick, make sure it has a thick rubber sole and is waterproof.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 05:46 AM

JeanG, you must be tall. sigh~
I find that my feet get quite cranky when in these pointy toed shoes and it is still hard to find anything that has a stylish look that is still comfy.
Prada has a pair of almost elastic seeming, high boots with small heels, that would be great for travel..they would go with everything!
If I were not heading South this winter, I would be verrry tempted!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Stuart Weitzman has several styles of ankle boots made of gore tex that's waterproof & stretchy. Some have lining for warmth, some don't. They're sold at all the major dept stores, Nordstrom, Saks etc, & also have their own Weitzman store on Park Ave. & about 56th.

Another brand that's been mentioned here for comfort is Taryn Rose. Saw them on the Nordstrom website.

I really like ankle boots for winter walking. Somehow they always look better with low heels than shoes with low heels. Just limits you to pants though, but in winter that's fine.

Rebroc, if you don't find what you want at home, there's no shortage in NYC although I guess shoe shopping on NYE is not ideal.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:00 AM

Zappos is great... prices are pretty much the same as anywhere but they have a great selection, sometimes free shipping, and they do free returns.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:00 AM
GoTravel

Scarlett, always remember, Prada is your freind.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:07 AM

I feel as though I just walked into the chat room of InStyle magazine.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:10 AM

You never know what you will walk into on these forums, JackOneill

Yes, Prada is my friend

Taryn Rose shoes are sooo expensive but cute.
Weitzman has so many styles, easy to find something suitable.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Scarlett, I hear you regarding those pointy toed shoes. Who can wear those without pain?

Merrell also makes comfy shoes although not for winter. Some of their clogs & slip-ons are nice for spring.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:59 AM
OliveOyl

Yes indeed, I love my Icons! So comfy and so quirky. I've got "Girlfriends", but have been eyeing others too. They have rubber soles too, but I'd worry about destroying the leather in the rain, so they will stay home. I saw two pair of them in Neiman's pre-sale yesterday Scarlett. Was thinking Xmas for my daughter. Also saw Taryn Rose, not in pre-sale, but regular price natch...very cool shoes!

I'm going back today, now with specific info from this board. If Nordstrom carries Santana in their online catelogue, they must have them in store...my sales associate just wasn't up on the waterproof request. And everyone carries Stuart Weitzman so surely between these suggestions, something exists if I dig for it myself!

You'd think between these stores shopping would be easy--not so. Second quest I struck out on was a pair of nice flat front black wool slacks--not cotton, not low riders for heavens sake! Such a simple request, such an impossible task.

My prep time for this trip is cut significantly by a 10 trip to AZ beginning next week so I'm feeling pressed for time. So why am I sitting here? Just came in from running...time to shower then run back out to shop.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:56 AM
E

A shopping trick of mine is to try on shoes in a store--I agree that it's really difficult to mail-order shoes, even if you've worn the brand before, they're all cut so differently--then search for the best price and order online (or buy at the store if their price is competitive). I feel sligthly guilty doing this, but only slightly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -