Search

NYC Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:05 AM
elizabeth

NYC Trip Report

Had a wonderful trip to NYC this past weekend with my 84 year old mother-in-law.

When I first proposed the idea of a "NYC girls weekend" to Betty she was very enthusiastic. When we compared schedules, we were either going in January or June. I was concerned about traveling in January - I live in Toronto; Betty in Montreal. This meant my husband and I would drive to Montreal where he would stay with my father-in-law (who's physical condition doesn't permit him to travel as much anymore); Betty and I would fly in and out of Montreal and then my husband and I would drive back to Toronto. Lots of room for things to go wrong with the weather, not to mention it being cold and icy in NYC, making it more difficult for a senior citizen. However, my mother in law is very pragmatic - "I'm well now, at my age six months is a long time - let's go for it!" Important life lesson there! (As it turned out - the weather wasn't a problem for traveling)

Left Montreal early Friday morning. First good omen - gate attendants upgraded us to Business Class due to Economy being over-booked. Second good omen - our bags were the first two on the turnstile at La Guardia. Third good omen - arrived at Righa Royal at 11:00am and our room was ready (!).

This was going to be a great trip!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:05 AM
elizabeth

Part 2

I booked the Righa via quikbook.com at the rate of $269/night for an Imperial Suite (plus the unexpected bonus of a $25/night Food and Beverage credit upon check out). I had read a few comments on Fodors that the Righa was a bit shabby but had been reassured by a recent guest. As it turned out, our suite was lovely. If you wanted to be HYPER critical there were a few things that needed attention - a bit of wallpaper that needs gluing down, etc - but overall it was a great deal, and a great location.

After settling in we headed over to MOMA. The museum is undergoing extensive renovations and only a small part of the permanent collection is on display (for example, only one panel of "Water Lilies"; only one Rodin sculpture, etc). But in consolation, "Starry Night" was back from a loan to another museum, which was an unexpected treat.

We had tickets to the Philharmonic that night and had reservations at Café Fiorello for an early dinner, however at 2:00pm it started to snow and I was worried about getting a cab in rush hour to Lincoln Centre. Cancelled our reservations and went to Milos for a late lunch. Pre Fixe lunch of $32.95 per person was very good - and excellent service. This was a good experience, as I learned that for us a late lunch was better than a rushed early dinner. We were back at the hotel by 5:00pm and could relax before getting to Lincoln Centre about 7:30pm.

The performance was excellent. Had wonderful seats 4 rows from the front right behind the conductor. My mother in law is an accomplished pianist and music lover so for her seeing the Philharmonic was a dream come true. The program started with a modern German composer (Martin) and the main performance was Brahms Requiem. 2 wonderful choirs (the New York Choral Society and Columbus Boys Choir), a soprano, and a bass-baritone - who was an inspiration. Thomas Quasthoff is a Thalidomide victim (he was profiled on 60 Minutes a couple of years ago). His performance was outstanding - naturally, at first his disability is forefront, but as soon as he begins to sing "the awareness of his disability melts away" (TIME Magazine Review). I remember at the end of the 60 Minutes interview he was asked, if he could would he trade his voice for a "normal" body and he said "no - this is my gift" (I'm horribly paraphrasing here - but it was inspiring).

Back to the hotel for Irish Coffee and a lovely chat about the evening - finally in bed at 1:30am!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:06 AM
elizabeth

Saturday - shopping on 5th Avenue, then coffee overlooking Rockefeller Centre skating Rink (the tree was still up!) then once again a late lunch. Went to Tavern on the Green - I know there's a lot of discussion, pro and con, about it on this site - but Betty had heard of it and for the time and the place it was perfect. I hadn't been there in years - and with all the snow in Central Park it was very pretty, the service was great, and the Cobb Salad (albeit ridiculously priced!) was very good (we don't get good Cobb Salads in Canada! Enough justification!)

Off to Kiss Me Kate that evening. Lots of fun. We walked through Times Square first and then to the theatre. After the performance we skipped trying to hail a cab right away and went to the Marriott for a drink. Irish Coffees all around! It was a great place to people watch, and once again in bed at 1:30am (is this what I'll do at 84?)

Sunday morning we had brunch at the Righa. It has been well reviewed and if you like buffet brunches it's very nice (I don't). The advertising trades heavily on the view - but unless you're seated right next to a window (which apparently only large tables are) there really isn't much of a view. However, we had a lovely time.

Then, more shopping on Madison and a cab up to the Met. Finally at 4:30 Betty said "that's it - I'm done" (thank God, I was thinking! I'm done too!). We had a 5:30 reservation at Union Square Café so flagged a cab and took a leisurely drive down FDR to Battery Park and up through Downtown and Greenwich Village to see the sights (had a great cab driver/tour operator). Dinner was superb - service was wonderful and the food was great (plus our "usual" Irish Coffee to end our trip!). Quick detour back to the hotel to pick up and bags, out to La Guardia and back to Montreal.

On the plane Betty said the loveliest thing to me "I thought that this part of my life was over (i.e. traveling to new places) - you've shown me it isn't". And I learned that a positive attitude and thirst for life makes 84 merely a random collection of numbers.

We agreed - Paris is next!

Happy to answer questions!

PS: The "boys" had a great time too - sampled all the great Montreal restaurants!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Paige

Elizabeth, what a lovely time you had and an excellent report. You hit the right balance between too much or not enough information and it was very inspiring to know that you don't have to be young to enjoy yourself.

I'm not a senior citizen, but I'm glad that I'm the age I am. I have more disposable income than I did at 21 and a whole lot more sense.

I truly enjoyed your report. Go for Paris!!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:25 AM
AC

Hooray for you and Betty!!
I'm glad everything went so well and you had such a great time!!
I travel with my 76 year old MOM and she is a blast to travel with. Hope you have many more trips together and you'll definitely love Paris!!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:49 AM
lisa

First of all, great report. Secondly, and more importantly: it is so refreshing to hear about someone's POSITIVE experiences with an in-law, when all the stereotypes are about bad relationships with in-laws. We should all be so fortunate when we're 84 to have someone to travel with and be in good enough health to enjoy it (and stay up until the wee hours of the morning, no less!).

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Caitlin

And drinking Irish coffees, no less! Nice report.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Caitlin

And drinking Irish coffees, no less! Nice report.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Owen O'Neill

When I'm 84 I hope I have a son-in-law as nice as you who takes me on some "boys weekends"! Good report - thanks for posting the follow up.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:01 PM
howard

Not only a great report, but an example of how good taste can make for a great experience. You chose wisely and well!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:10 PM
tcc

What an inspiring report! Glad to hear you enjoyed NYC (I live here so I try to talk it up to people). I know you'll enjoy Paris just as much or even more.

Best,
tcc