NYC Trip Report

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Dean Moull

NYC Trip Report

Hi

I recently [March] returned from a fantastic trip to NYC aided and abetted by advice and support from regular contributors on this site. I thought it only polite to post a brief thankyou and a slightly longer report on the trip. First, thanks very much! The reason for my trip was in fact my wedding. We arrived on a Thursday evening [from the UK] on Air France. My recommendation, do not under any circumstances use this airline [to say they were bereft of manners would be an understatement]. Much of the organisation for this trip was provided by Mark Roberts of the Chicago/New York concierge service [www.chicnyconcierge.com]. Although not cheap his assistance was invaluable in arranging flowers [beautiful], hotels [all superb], restaurants [wonderful] and limos [expensive!]to name but a few [and we would highly recommend him to anyone]. We stayed at the Muse [off Time Squar]where the staff were attentive and dilligent without being over the top. The room rates were in the region of £233 [GBP]and were upgraded and included a daily supply of vintage champagne and flowers [not typical I'm sure but appreciated none the less]. On the first evening we had dinner with friends at Picholine. The food was outstanding and my usual request of a menu signed by the chef was met, accompanied by yet more free champagne [I really should get married more often]. The meal cost £600 for four although we were somewhat enthusiastic when it came to ordering. The next day involved a trip to city hall to arrange a marriage licence and on to the Essex House to check the room out [for the ceremony]. Again, everybody we met couldn't have been more helpful and that night we moved on the DB Bistro Moderne. I had read about the famous burger on a flight and was determined to try it out. Safe to say I wasn't disappointed with what proved to be the cheapest meal of the trip. On the Saturday the ceremony went without a hitch despite being in the middle of the St Patrick's Day Celebrations. Afterwards we even stopped off at an Irish bar in full wedding attire where myself and my wife were 'serenaded' by a rather inebriated bagpiper - hysterical. The evening was spent at 11 MAdison Park which was again superb. There we 10 of us and the bill came to a not too over the top £2200 given the nature of the event. From there a slightly smaller wedding party proceeded to various bars and clubs of which Lotus and Man Ray were notables [although the door staff might need more house training]. The Sunday began with a trip to the River Cafe for brunch. Amazingly we had a full compliment of guests and the bill arrived at a not too handsome £1700. Food was outstanding but the desserts were historic - particularly a chocolate number done as a mock up of the Brooklyn Bridge - It must have taken a lot longer to eat than it did to destroy [in the best possible way]. The remainder of the trip was spent absorbing as much as we could of the unique spirit and attitude of NYC and we loved every minute. Every person, bar, meal and event made it quite simply a perfect trip and our thanks go out to all at Fodors who advised us and all in NYC who served us and helped us. Stay at the Muse, eat at Picholine, 11 MP and River Cafe and get married at the Essex House - you won't regret it! Finally, we're back in July to do it all again - except possibly the wedding bit.

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Suzy

Yikes, Dean, thanks for the report. We'd been wondering how it all went! Nice to hear how the other half lives.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:02 AM
lisa

Wow, Dean -- it sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm just curious -- was there no requirement that either of you be US or NY citizens to obtain a marriage license here?

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:57 AM
spinsterSue

Wow, What a way to go! Maybe I should think about getting married? Too bad, Dean, that you are now taken. You must have been a great catch for that lucky girl.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Dean Moull

Lisa

No requirements regarding citizenship at all. All we had to do was be in NYC for 24 hours after obtaining the licence before the ceremon. For the licence we only needed ID [passport]. Certainly a lot easier than in the UK.

Regards

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Amy

Hi Dean! Congratulations! I'm so glad you posted your report - I was wondering what had happened to you. Sounds like everything went beautifully, you really did a wonderful job with the planning and made fantasic choices for restaurants, etc. Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness.