NYC Trip Report

Old May 3rd, 2001, 10:31 AM
Martin

NYC Trip Report

Not much happened, huh?

Old May 3rd, 2001, 10:34 AM
martin

Oh, yeah. I forgot that the first person who replies to an empty post looks like the original poster.

Hey it wasn't me! I was just trying to be obnoxious.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:35 AM
Bob

I've tried about 4 times --think it must be too long...
af

Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:21 PM
Caitlin

Bob, it prob. is too long. Break it into chunks and then post them sequentially in the same thread (i.e., post the 2d, 3d, etc. as replies) and label them (e.g., part 1, etc).

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:14 PM
Bob

Ok just for kicks--(and you can't bore any friends with all these details--like pulling out your slides!)- I have to report back...Part I

Wed.--NY Noodletown. Place is tiny. You share tables and right across from us was Harold Ramis (Stripes/Ghostbusters?)--I had salt baked soft shell crabs. (really fried and very salty)--I loved. My wife had a noodle dish and it looked a little like something outta star wars (squids and stuff). Mine was superb. Dessert at Ferarars (sp.) in Little Italy. Not much of Little Italy left.

We stayed at the Larchmont Hotel on W. 11th. The location is the best in the city. The place is absolutely spotless. (Mostly all European/Esp. French couples) The shared baths (1 to 3 rooms-2 per hall. Never full in our 5 days) are tiny but fine. Probably only downside is a nightly trip--hall is lite like an operating room. Breakfast has nice coffee. We would do again but amazing how many of our friends act we stayed at the Y. Lemongrass Cafe (Thai) around corner was very good. (Grey's Papaya, Ray's Pizza and Balducci's all on 6th are nearby and we hit them all...****)

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:15 PM
Bob

Part II
Thursday-I wanted to show wife Wall Street and as we were walking past stock exchange this guy was giving out free passes to go in. (9 am ish--I thought exchange started at 9 but it is 9:30) We went in and stood around for 15 minutes and saw opening bell rung by some Chuck E. Cheese looking character. Then to Century 21-we stayed maybe 2 hours. Designer dumping store across from Trade Towers--wife liked a bunch...Versace to whatever. No place to sit. Long lines to try on. She bought a few items-then to Katz for lunch--as good as I remembered. Pastrami and hot dog and pitcher of beer (cheaper than 3 glasses). Delish-we had a Knish at Yonah Schimmel just West on Houston from Katz afterwards and walked around Lower East side--Orchard/Ludlow--wild stores. Piercings aplenty. Went in a place on Rivington called Toys in Babeland that was wild--Hey we live in Alabama--

Courtesy of our neighbor the banker we had front row center seats for The Producers Thursday--a thrill. That close (almost too close but fun) you could see spit flying from them as they projected songs/lines. Afterwards I hung around--I had stuck a baseball in my sportcoat--got Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick to sign. Since show is new I had read they were good about that--and boy they were. (Now have in plastic ball cube with my stub) Show is great fun...

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:16 PM
Bob

Thursday-I wanted to show wife Wall Street and as we were walking past stock exchange this guy was giving out free passes to go in. (9 am ish--I thought exchange started at 9 but it is 9:30) We went in and stood around for 15 minutes and saw opening bell rung by some Chuck E. Cheese looking character. Then to Century 21-we stayed maybe 2 hours. Designer dumping store across from Trade Towers--wife liked a bunch...Versace to whatever. No place to sit. Long lines to try on. She bought a few items-then to Katz for lunch--as good as I remembered. Pastrami and hot dog and pitcher of beer (cheaper than 3 glasses). Delish-we had a Knish at Yonah Schimmel just West on Houston from Katz afterwards and walked around Lower East side--Orchard/Ludlow--wild stores. Piercings aplenty. Went in a place on Rivington called Toys in Babeland that was wild--Hey we live in Alabama--

Courtesy of our neighbor the banker we had front row center seats for The Producers Thursday--a thrill. That close (almost too close but fun) you could see spit flying from them as they projected songs/lines. Afterwards I hung around--I had stuck a baseball in my sportcoat--got Nathan Lane and Matthew Broederick to sign. Since show is new I had read they were good about that--and boy they were. (Now have in plastic ball cube with my stub) Show is great fun...

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:18 PM
Bob

Part III
Friday morning --today Show dealie but kinda a dud--Rod Stewart was Friday Summer Concert series kick-off. Too many people--we did not get there until 8. But hordes from local offices. Ok-we had our coffee and saw glimpses of him. (Best view from Dean and Delucca but one employee screamng at everyone to move) Actually, everyone was very nice in New York. We were impressed. On to Trump Towers (highly recommend bathrooms in basement) ...on to 5th Avenue but really that is kinda a waste unless you enjoy seeing what you can not afford or lotsa cahins found everywhere--So we went up Madison to find this consignment shop I had read about. Consignment place was dud. But owners said we needed to go see Jackie dress exhibit. However not open to public so he suggested we slip in exit. Nope--guarded. So my wife told nice ladies guarding entrance (only open to Met members until yesterday) she was a member of local Museum-true and they very graciously let us in. She loved--2 hour audio--thing is hoot--"at his point MS. Kennedy was into buttons. Oleg Cassinni comments, etc, etc..." But kinda fun. Wife bought this cool souvenir scarf.

Friday night we went to Tribeca to eat at Le Zinc (Chanterelle Bistro) Got all dressed and place was closed due to some electrical deal...so we had a few drinks and went to The Odeon (nearby)--we sat outside nice views of Twin Towers and Empire SB but I had a $28 Steak and Frites (sirloin on McDonalds fires) --not so great but fun crowd...

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:19 PM
Bob

Part IV
Saturday Yankees--we sat with "A's family" since we knew their pitcher. He had a bad day. But fun--we were row 10 behind home plate. Afterwards we got A's to sign 3 balls for friends. (Johnny Damon is a super nice guy. He rode subway to team hotel said it would beat team bus back so I sat talked to him long time.) We had fun at night just seeing all people and everything open in village. Cigar at Village Cigars--they were filming a scene for NYPD Blue late that night and a movie was filming the whole week in from of our hotel---"I'm with Lucy" but I've yet to find out who is in it.

We went to Knock-off heaven twice (Canal and West Broadway just below Soho Grand Hotel) for knock-off Kate Spade purses. Wife bought 5 at about $10 to $12 each--every friend and woman on street wants one--Wife wishes she had stuffed a gym bag full of them to give for Christmas.

Sat morning we went to Union Square for Greenmarket--we had apple cider and turnover and all kindsa cheeses and neat things for sell. Nice local flavor---be great to get a picnic from there for Central Park--and Sunday morning (my wife really liked this) we went to Chelsea annex flea market--6th Avenue at 24 to 26--HUGE--small one across from the strabucks but big ones behind and around--ask and look--everything from $3 rings to $26,900 antique Louis Vuitton wardrobes-- Very neat--short walk to flatiron area-we had brunch at Mesa Grill (very good)---I might do Blue Water Grill next time--at Flatiron area--beautiful outdoor terrace and lively crowd and jazz. ABC Home in that area is dazzling...

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:20 PM
Bob

The FINAL PART
Play Proof was nice Sunday--like a movie very different than musical---just a simple story but nice--won Pulitizer Prize recently. Had Italian at Monte's in village-- very good pasta--been around forever---kinda different crowd than those in Soho late Sunday--way hip--Wife liked this store girlprops.com and Daffy's on Broadway..

Monday we went to Veniero's on E.11th--brought home a cheesecake--that is the best pastry place in NY no doubt---I loved Strand bookstore/ went twice while wife shopped Broadway --

so there you have it--sorry for length--we did about all we wanted--Great trip and Town... Maybe someone will get an idea or two..

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:06 PM
Linda

Greta trip report!! Thank you!

We are going to be in New York City for Memorial Day weekend. You gave me a lot of great ideas! Thanks!

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Ess

Bob, that's a fabulous trip report! It's not too long, it's the detail that makes it interesting. Sounds like you had a good time. What do you think is best about NYC, all the food or the shopping? I say the food!

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Howard

My compliments, Bob. You and your family seem to have experienceed a vacation that gave you a feel of the real New York that we locals love and the eclectic New York that visitors (I won't call you tourist) should see!

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Bob

Thanks--as to best-all those things (food, shopping, theatre-kinda hope the two shows we saw win Tonys -Producers and Proof)enter into it--but I think just the life of the city. Moving around and seeing the neighborhoods/we found that so exciting. Subway is so easy once you get a map and see which train stops where--
It was a great time,
af

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:10 AM
lisa

Great report! So glad you liked the plays. Sounds like you made the absolute most of your time without cramming in too much, got a taste of a nice variety of what the city has to offer, & had a lot of fun. I was especially interested to hear about the Jackie O exhibit, & it never occurred to me to hang around after "The Producers" to see Matthew Broderick & Nathan Lane (wow, that's so nice of them).

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Bob

You know I had those baseballs since friends sent them knowing we would meet some players at Yankee Stadium so I just thought sitting on row one maybe--turns out after it was over theatre of course emptied quickly--while wife waited for restroom (many guys been in that position) I asked and they "said o yea they always sign just wait over there." They set up those traffic barricades for them to exit theater and they came out very shortly--maybe 40 people there mostly with playbills--they both patiently signed. (I had only baseball which seemed to intrigue them both.) Makes you respect their patience as many wanted photos which seems odd/goofy to me but they patiently posed. (One obnoxious lady there--and same lady was at Today show next morning with a 5 foot balloon hat...)yeeeee
I took same baseball to Proof thinking maybe this happens a bunch--but of course a drama is a little different (more art less show biz if fair to say) but was told Ms. Parker does not emerge afterwards to sign, etc. which is fine..

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Caitlin

You know, I'd never done the stage-door thing and it never ocurred to me and I thought it was a little silly. Several years ago we saw the original cast production of the Chicago revival with some people in town visitinng; after, we went home but one of them went to the stage door and got everyone's autograph and said they were all very gracious. Then I had my own stage-door experience last summer; my boyfriend's mom is a Ralph Fiennes fanatic and she flew across the country to see him do two Shakespeare plays at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (she was all set to go to London to see them until she found out the company would be in NYC). So of course, we HAD to go to the stage door both nights for autographs and photos (Ralph Fiennes said "here again?" on night #2). The cast was quite gracious and some were quite chatty, though you could see that RF was not comfortable--I think he is quite shy. Also, you never know who you'll see, because the celebs who visit backstage come out the back as well; Lauren Bacall came through when we were there waiting.