NYC- Transportation from La Guardia to Westin Times Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting NYC Memorial Day weekend arriving on Thursday (22) around 10:30 AM. I am trying to figure out a good way to get to the Westin Times Square without spending too much money. There will be 2 of us - and I'm torn between a cab or using the bus/subway. Is taking the M60 bus to Manhattan a bad way to go? Can anyone help me with where we should get off and what subway we should use?
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:05 AM
GoTravel

A cab with tax, tolls, and tip should be under $30. Public transportation is $1.50. The biggest thing for me is my time worth the money saved? No. Taxi is much faster and easier plus you don't have to worry about dragging luggage on a bus.

Old May 9th, 2003, 06:29 AM

If there are two of you, take a cab. As GoTravel states, a cab should cost $30 or less and take less than 1/2 hour. Don't start your visit with unpleasantness.

The M60 bus-to-subway route will cost you $2 each, but will cost a lot more agony for visitors unfamiliar with the transit system and hauling luggage.

If you decide to take the M60, be sure to ask for a transfer from the driver if you pay with coins. Get off the bus at 125th St and Lenox Ave (Malcolm X Blvd) and transfer to the 2 or 3 train downtown which stop at that corner. Either of these trains will take you all the way to Times Square (42nd & 7th Ave). This could be a quick ride or slow, depending on traffic and how long you must wait for the bus. I'd expect it to take about an hour.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:38 AM
GoTravel

Thanks Ellen, I forgot the city just raised the price of public transportation.

Old May 9th, 2003, 07:33 AM

The extra $13 per per person for a cab is, to me, money well spent to save time, potential aggravation and inconvenience.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:48 AM

DEFINITELY take a cab. I do the cab all the time. it is usually $30 including tip to times square. for two of you it is worth it.
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Check http://www.nyairportservice.com/fares.html where for $16 each round trip you can go from Airport to Grand Central or Port Authority Bus Terminal. You could also get a free shuttle to various hotels, but I would suggest walking or taxi from one of the above locations. Takes about 45 minutes, departures every 20 minutes -- these are large "motor coaches" with underneath compartment for luggage.
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:06 PM

I would agree with the last poster that the motorcoach service is a good compromise between the public bus & a cab. You will save some money, yet, it's not inconvienent since as the poster said, you can store your luggage and not have to slep it around and on the bus. Whats more, since you are staying at the Westin Times Square, the buses will stop right across the st from your hotel.
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Whoa! I'll have to disagree with the last two posters. Why take a bus for $32 (2 x $16), when you can ride more comfortably in a cab and get right to your hotel more directly and faster.
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:39 PM

i second HowardR.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:04 PM

That bus is NON-STOP from the airport to GCT, then to PABT. The $32 is total cost, round trip, two people. It's not a "city bus", and it's not a "Greyhound", it's a motorcoach with reclining seats. So for about half of what taxis will cost and no extra "baggage charge", no "waiting charges" in traffic jams, why NOT take the NY Airport Service Bus? Save what you save for lunch or souvenirs.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:23 PM

I think you need some help with your math, rbtraverlerx.
A cab is less than $30 for two people. The motorcoach is $32 for two people and it doesn't even get you non stop direct to your hotel. Where is this "half the price of a taxi" you're talking about???
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:29 PM

One is roundtrip, one is not.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Patrick,

rb_traveler is right!! The bus is $32 roundtrip, the cab is $30 each way ($60 roundtrip.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:31 PM
GoTravel

I think he is saying that the coach price is $16 roundtrip per person.

Still, the roundtrip savings is only $14 total. I'd still opt for the cab.

Old May 9th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Calm down Patrick. No need to be such a drama queen about it. If you read a little more closely, you'll noticed that the price for the bus is 30 roundtrip for two people while the cab would be 60.00 roundtrip for 2 people. So rbtraveler is correct about the bus being cheaper. I'd opt for the bus for that much of a price difference.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Doesn't NYC have a "zone" system for cab fares from the airports? I would think there's a website somewhere with those rates posted. In fact, I'm gonna go look for it (I want to take a trip to Manhattan for business and a spin down to family fun in Bucks County PA). Wish me luck!!
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM
GoTravel

rjw, LaGuardia is a metered fare and not a flat rate. Newark has the flat rate.

Old May 9th, 2003, 01:41 PM

Just looked on a LGA-related website, and it looks like "no"-- no specific zone rate schedule. They post rates between $16 and $26 (or was it $30?!) for LGA-Manhattan, so everyone who said $30 was basically right.

The coach service would be perfectly acceptable if you really want/need to economize. I'd still take the cab-- convenience, laziness, whatever, it's New York! Live a little.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:51 PM

OK, last post, I promise. As stated in the 7th message, it's $16 round trip, per person. Each person add $2 tip each way, that's $38 total, no matter the traffic situation. (I didn't factor tip before)

Taxi: $30 each way: $60 including toll & tip, but excluding any traffic.

$60 (or more) vs $38 = $22 (or more) difference to be dropped off across the street from your hotel. I'll gladly carry bags across the street for $22. (Double-Check the math, Please!)

Kathryn *did* say "without spending too much money" - which is why I'm defending my suggestion. I've taken taxi, the NYAS bus, and even the M60/#7 combo (never again). The NYAS is an EXCELLENT compromise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -