Search

NYC Transit Strike Superthread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:34 AM
QC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Transit Strike Superthread

As you may have heard, the Transit Workers Union went on strike against the Metropolitan Transit Authority today at 3:00AM.

What this means is:

- All Subway service is CLOSED and not running.

- All City buses are NOT RUNNING.

- Certain Streets and highways are subject to HOV-4 restrictions. This INCLUDES Taxis.

- All of Manhattan below 96th Street is subject to HOV-4 restrictions. There are checkpoints and they will turn away cars.

- Alternate side parking is suspended.

- Taxis are running on a zone and multiple pickup system rather than the usual farebox.

If you are traveling to NYC today, be aware that:

- Traffic jams are huge and widespread throughout the city.

- Most businesses are open, but check with individual attractions to see what their status is.

- Last-minute hotel rooms will be difficult to find.

- Last-minute rental cars will be difficult to find.

- If you are flying into NYC, you will need 4 persons per taxi (including the driver) to enter Manhattan below 96th Street during rush hours. Yes, they are turning away taxis at bridges.

- JFK Airtrain is not affected by the strike.

- The Long Island Rail Road and Metro North are running but are severely overcrowded.

- NJ Transit is running.

- PATH Trains are running.

- There are few road restrictions above 96th Street in Manhattan.

Official City information and updates can be found here (includes official contingency plan):

http://tinyurl.com/cz4du

NYC Local news with Strike updates:

www.ny1.com
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:49 AM

ttt
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:53 AM

It is my understanding that the HOV restricttions are from 5 am to 11 am. Is this correct?
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:58 AM
mp

HOV restrictions (and no commercial trucks or vans) are ONLY from 5AM-11AM weekdays entering Manhattan below 96th Street.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:53 AM

In the new today they showed Bloomberg walking the bridge.

And a subway station - empty, only one guy with packages walking down the stairs and shortly after that walking back up - probably on request of the filming crew

Are the taxis running on metered fare or negotiated fare? What an opportunity for rip-off, are they using it?

I feel sorry for everybody who has difficulties getting to work. I remember the BART strike in SF when my son was out of work for 3 days - didn't have a car, and couldn't find anything to get him in the city.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:57 AM

my God, you poor people. I rely on public transportation and have no car too, I'd in pretty tough shape if there were a strike here, good luck guys.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Si0

It's a major problem for the city as a whole, but I'm one of those maniacs who bikes almost everyplace, so it's just another day in the life...

We NY'ers will be fine. By nature, we're excellent at routing around problems.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM

heres the word from the inside...

streets are very quiet. there are cabs, and they are supposed to have a "fixed" fare of $10, with the inevitable scheme by some drivers jacking up that price. i shared a cab from right outside m building this morning. it looks like the traffic outside the city, was the worst in years. some 2 hours from queens.

the mta to my understanding is asking for an 8% raise each year for 3 years. this strike is an illegal action. they already have a surplus. this certainly is not realistic, or relative to other industries and their pay raises.

we are all just trying to get to work.

i particularly feel badly for the nyc teachers and nurses, who will not ever see the rewards (union or not) they deserve.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:52 AM

i read that the union was asking for a 8% raise. They were offered a 4% raise I believe, and the Authority backed down from the demand that the pension age be raised.

this is an illegal strike which will undoubtedly hurt working people that commute into Manhattan for lower paying jobs.

I saw Bloomberg's latest press conference and I completely agree with him. Breaking the law and causing massive chaos during the busiest season is not the best way to negotiate.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:58 AM

I took a taxi this morning and wasn't aware of the fare rules, but was not ripped off. Fare rules are:

$10 per person w/in one zone

$5 per add'l zone (zones are below 23rd; 23rd - 60th; 60th - 96th; above 96th in Manhattan. All other boroughs are one zone. So to get from 95th to 27th would cost $15.)

$20 flat rate to/from LaGuardia
$30 flat rate to/from JFK
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM

I'm arriving Thursday afternoon to JFK. Have hotel reservations for a couple of nights of shopping before going to CT. Should I chance being able to get a cab at the airport or book one of the services which take several times as long...Any ideas?
LMF
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I think on of the car services online may be a better option this time.Just make sure there are at least 4 people,although usually they fill up a van.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM

The 4-person eruirement apparently doesn't apply in the afternoon.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to clear a few things up: the HOV restrictions that are in place M-F from 5am to 11am south of 96th Street are only in effect to get INTO Manhattan. Once below 96th Street, if people are dropped off, cars are free to stay even with less than 4 people per car. These restrictions are also in effect on major roads and bridges and tunnels west bound (i.e., toward Manhattan) such as the Triboro and Queensboro Bridges.

The last offer from MTA was a 3 year contract, 3% the first year, 4% the second, and 3 1/2 the third, an extra paid holiday per year (MLK Jr. Day). The MTA backed down and said new hires can retire at age 55 but would have to contribute 6% per year for I believe 10 years toward health insurance. TWU, without even making a counter-offer, walked out and voted to strike, which they did at 3am. It should be noted that of the TWU people on the board, 8 voted NOT to strike, 5 abstained and the rest (28?) voted to strike. The parent union of TWU was AGAINST the strike and essentially told the local TWU they are on their own and will not help pay the penalties, which, for the union, are at 1 million dollars per day. The penalties for the individual workers who strike are set at $25,000 for the first day and it doubles each day the strike lasts (the last one lasted 11 days). It is illegal for the TWU to strike and the penalties are severe, but, the union and it's members knew this when they accepted jobs working for the MTA.

The MTA is not blame free on this either. They refuse to give more than a 3 year contract, putting us through this potential nightmare every few years. They also seem to miraculously find tons of money after a new contract is ratified thus, the TWU does not trust them and has reason not to. They have a 1 BILLION dollar surplus this year and are still crying that they need to raise fares for future deficits.

The subway system is an excercise in ineptitude. The subways alone get an average of 4 million riders per day, that's 8 million dollars PER DAY, somewhat less on weekends and holidays, so figure an average of 6 million dollars per day, and they still can't run an efficient system. Signals, tracks and trains constantly break down and delays are commonplace. This says something about both the management and the workers.

For those of you visiting NY, welcome to my world.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM
GoTravel

"""The MTA is not blame free on this either. They refuse to give more than a 3 year contract, putting us through this potential nightmare every few years

laurie, most people don't have a three year job contract.

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM

GoTravel, you are absolutely correct but the subway and bus systems are the life blood of this city and a strike literally paralyzes us. The MTA knows the potential for a strike exists every 3 years and can offer a longer contract. I used to work for a union here in NYC and there were times when 5 year contracts were offered. In light of the importance of moving this city, they could give in on this one. There is plenty of blame to go around on both sides.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Another thing about the MTA, why do they wait until the last minute for negotiations, especially when the contract expires a week before Christmas, knowing there will be many tourists here and that retailers make their money the week before Christmas? Why didn't they start negotiations months ago? Perhaps this is the fault of both sides, I don't know and at this point, I'm too disgusted to care.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM

I've done some reading about this since the strike seemed inevitable last night.

I understand that the union was disappointed with the counteroffer, but they walked away from the table.

Like GoTravel said, how many people get 3 year contracts? I understand that being a union worker entitles one to add'l job protections, while most of us work in the private sector in employment at will states.

Public sentiment seems to be very much against the union. They really overplayed their hand and are losing in the court of public opinion.

In the NYT there are reports of many low pay workers (hourly employees who don't get paid when they don't work) not being able to go to work due to the union's selfishness.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Also, what happens if someone has a heart attack and every minute counts. If EMS can't get through because of the resulting gridlock, and it takes longer to get help to these people, people will die. Did the striking workers ever think of that?

I don't think public sentiment was ever with the workers. Anyone who rides the subways on a regular basis generally has no love for either the MTA or the union. Most of the people I know think they are lucky just to have jobs because they are so inept.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Bloomberg said this isn't affecting EMS response time, although that seems counterintuitive.

I don't live in NYC, although I ride the subways when I visit. I agree that the workers are pretty surly to say the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -