Search

NYC Tours?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Kathleen

NYC Tours?

Hi!
I read somewhere that you could get NYC bus tours? We we're in London recently, we skipped the bus tour, and just took the subway everywhere. Is this a choice in NYC?
Also, if any one here knows where you can get info on bus tours (e-mail, phone number) please let me know
Thanks!
Kathleen.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 02:31 PM
Joanne

Hi Kathleen,
Two of the most popular bus tours are through Big Apple Bus Tours or Gray Line Bus Tours. I prefer the Gray Line and their web site is http://www.graylinenewyork.com
I hope this helps. Have a great time.
Joanne

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 03:03 PM
ek

Try the circle line cruise around Manhattan! Its lots of fun & an interesting vantage point. It is supposed to be very pretty at sunset.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 05:49 PM
adina

Big Apple bus tour went out of business over the summer from what I remember. It probably isn't necessary anyway in New York-- you can walk and take public transportation everywhere and not worry about misinformation.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:01 PM
Debbie

Kathleen-NY Apple Tours are back in business-we took one (the night tour) about 2 weeks ago. They're informative, and you can relax and enjoy the sights without the hassle of driving in the city. Sure, you can tour the city via subway, but make sure you've got an excellent subway map with you-and know the difference between 'uptown' and 'downtown' when you're venturing out. Also, be careful not to get on an express train if you need a 'local' stop - you can easily get past your destination and lose a lot of time getting back on track. With some advance planning, you should be fine. ENJOY !!

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 04:54 PM
Dianna

If you want a free tour by native New Yorkers try Apple Greeters. You can choose where you want to go and we did Central Park and the Met.

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 06:11 PM
fiona

Their web site is www.bigapplegreeter.org

Also take a pair of REALLY comfortable walking shoes, you will be able to see most of the city on foot.
The subways are the quickest way to get around Manhattan but can be a little confusing to use.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 07:13 AM
Greg

If the weather is good, as it was last week, I highly recommend the Gray Line double-decker bus tours of downtown Manhaattan.

I was disappointed that Gray Line did not offer a double-decker tour of the uptown area, or at least not last Thursday.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Sam

I've been to NYC 3 times and everytime my choice was to use the subway. It's very safe, unexpensive and fast, and it is really easy to get around Manhattan and you can stay as long as you want in every place you visit. Bear in mind that English is not my first language, but subway maps are really easy to read, so never got lost. The only things you really need are comfortable shoes, your camera and lots of energy.