NYC to SFO in 19 Days!

Search

NYC to SFO in 19 Days!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Martin

NYC to SFO in 19 Days!

Hi everyone,

We are going x-country from NYC to SFO in December. We are stopping in Raleigh NC (1 night at the Red Roof Inn), Atlanta (1 night at friends), New Orleans (2 nights at the Lamothe House), visiting NASA in Houston, San Antonio (1 night at Days Inn-Riverwalk), Ft. Stockton (1 night at Best Western), visiting Carlsbad Caverns & Roswell, Santa Fe (1 night-no hotel yet), visiting Taos, snowboarding in Vail (2 nights at the Roost Lodge), biking in Moab (1 night-no hotel yet) visiting National Arches & Natural Bridges, Grand Canyon (1 night at Maswick Lodge), Sedona (2 nights-no hotel yet), Las Vegas (1 night at Monte Carlo), Los Angeles (2 nights at relatives), drive up the coast to Cambria (1 night-no hotel yet) and destination San Francisco!! What moderate-priced accommodations do you recommend to those cities of which we haven't reserved yet? What sites are a must to see since we are spending such a short time period at each place?

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Nicole

There is one potential snag I could think of, the trip from Orleans-NASA-San Antonio. That is one heck of a stretch. It's a good 5-6 hrs from Orleans to Houston, then about 45-60 min down I45 to NASA. You'll want to spend at least a couple of hours walking around NASA (it's such a great facility!), then 45-60 mins back up 45 to hit I10, then about 3 hrs to San Antonio. So at least 13 hours altogether, taking into consideration there is NO construction on I10 & 45, few rest stops and no eating. Then trying to enjoy the boardwalk that evening would take a whole lot of stamina. I would try breaking that up some how and skip Fort Stockton and make a run from San Antonio to Santa Fe. Of course I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 02:42 PM
tom

I think Nicole's suggestion is about right -- But after about 6 days of this itinerary your head will be spinning and you won't know where you are so maybe it doesn't matter.

19 days is plenty of time to drive across the country -- But not all the way around the southern US and then up to Colorado and Utah and back down to Arizona NV and LA. Hope you both like driving 15 hours a day. Even if you only stay 2 hours at each of your sightseeing stops I don't see how you'll make it.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 03:23 PM
roadtripper

Please don't listen to the negative posts on these lists. Some people just don't get into the roadtrip thing & can't imagine how anyone can stay in a car for over 3 hours.

I myself LOVE a roadtrip. My last big one was from Macon to Oklahoma City. It took 15 hours & I drove it straight through, stopping at several little sights on the way (there weren't that many things to see).

My next is in about a week; I have to be in San Fran on business for a week, so I took some time off & I'm flying in to Vegas, then driving to Sedona (it's too close for me to miss!) and then I'm off to San Francisco hitting every state park in between.

I am not one of those kinds of people that have to get out & touch everything they see, nor do I stop at every cheesy roadside stand.

I envy you - when will

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 03:28 PM
roadtripper

Please don't listen to the negative posts on these lists. Some people just don't get into the roadtrip thing & can't imagine how anyone can stay in a car for over 3 hours.

I myself LOVE a roadtrip. My last big one was from Macon to Oklahoma City. It took 15 hours & I drove it straight through, stopping at several little sights on the way (there weren't that many things to see). I am not one of those kinds of people that have to get out & touch everything they see, nor do I stop at every cheesy roadside stand. It can be done!

My next is in about a week; I have to be in San Fran on business for a week, so I took some time off & I'm flying in to Vegas, then driving to Sedona (it's too close for me to miss!) and then I'm off to San Francisco hitting every state park in between. The weekend following the business end of my trip I'm flying back to Vegas for the National Finals Rodeo - it's my birthday present to me - then flying home.

I envy you - my last business trip was to be in Denver last month & it got canceled. I had planned to drive to Utah & see all the parks there, then the second leg drive up to Glacier through Yellowstone.

Have fun!

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Sara

I did a similar trip. As I recall the trip from Ft. Stockton to Santa Fe seemed incredibly long - it may have been shorter but it is pretty barren....! It wasn't our longest day but I don't think you would get to the caverns in time if you left from San Antonio as recommended. We left from Ft. Stockton and wanted to do the caverns but didn't have time after the drive (but we are not the best at getting started in the morning). It looks like a whirlwind trip. I called it my sample trip - to see what places looked interesting to go back to. I didn't like New Orleans, it was dirty, smelly (like urine), but definately go to Cafe du Monde, and the french quarter of course. I was very pleasantly surprised by San Antonio, do the Riverwalk and of course the Alamo. Didn't really stay in Santa Fe but the area was beautiful and they have a great old town area and lots of art, did stay in Toas, - first place we got to Hampton Inn. We missed the gorge because we drove at night and I really regret that. Houston is ugly but NASA is great, expect at least 2 hours if you run through it. I think you could save some time from LA to San Fran unless you want to take it that slow - that is a day trip, though the coast makes it slower. Remember many of the places you have planned will have snow so the driving will be slower, but I am sure you have taken that into consideration. =)

Have a wonderful time and drive carefully!

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 09:49 AM
CAGirl

Keep in mind, Martin, that winter is the rainy season in CA and that the rain is often in the form of snow at higher elevations, so you may be slowed down quite a bit in some spots. Your itinerary seems exhausting, but to each his/her own, I guess.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:08 AM
Nicole

Hey roadtripper,
I wasn't being negative, just offering some advice.
I do get the roadtrip 'thing'. Last May I drove from Houston to SF and back on vacation with my brother. Spent 5 days driving there and 3 days driving back. I had a blast but I came out learning a few things. After 2 time driving through TX I'm just suggesting it ain't the greatest. It's flat and desolate. Maybe he should consider NO one night, then NASA, then SA for 2 nights and from SA straight to SF.
The rest of Martin's trip sounds well planned and a lot of fun, but just offered a suggestion for this one part. I hope he has a great time!!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:39 AM
judith

i agree on texas scenery. i would suggest two nights in moab to bicycle in arches and recover, skip natural bridges (not much there), drive from moab through monument valley, one night at goulding's and 1/2-day tour if time, then on to grand canyon. bright angel lodge is better, good price and you are RIGHT ON THE RIM.

i stayed at microtel in moab and best western in santa fe. good, clean, affordable, average motels. you can stay in santa fe and take the high road to taos, returning on the main highway, in one day. have a wonderful time.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:34 AM
ncgrrl

Raleigh is out of the way on this trip between NY and Atlanta. Stay in a hotel with an easy access to I-85 in North Carolina.

Instead of Raleigh, how about Hillsbourough. About the same drime time, but on the interstate heading the right direction. A few chain hotels there and you can spend a couple of hours looking at historic Hillsborough. You should also look at the giant Daniel Boone (near the chain hotels, and you really can't miss it)

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:04 AM
kam

I think you need a minimum of one week to do the California leg of your trip. 2 nights in LA, 2 on the drive up (perhaps Santa Barbara and Cambria or Cambria and the Monterey area) and 3 nights in SF. Yes, December is rainy. Today is the 3rd and in the last 24 hours we've had 3 inches of rain, thunder, hail, tornado warnings, 20 foot surf at Half Moon Bay and snow down to 2500 ft. in the mountains. That sounds rather humorous to a New Yorker--but remember we are very low here in the Bay area and not used to the amount of rain. Lots of flooding and car accidents yesterday. Cold today--in 40s--again sounds humorous but to us it's real! Do not try to drive the Big Sur coast from Cambria north on hwy1 if it's bad weather. At the very least, you won't see anything, at the worst you'll run into mudslides. Any of the little motels type places on Moonstone Beach in Cambria are reasonable--the Fireside Inn is nice. Moderate(?) in SF are Pacific Heights Inn, Wharf Inn, Hotel del Sol, Andrews Hotel, Hotel Cornell, Grant Plaza, Columbus Motor Inn, Chealsea Motor Inn, Buena Vista Motor Inn. If you'll still have your car, it's important to find a hotel that offers parking for free. You won't use your car in SF, so if it's a rental, turn it in on arrival and save money. Along those lines, if you aren't bringing your own car, consider some of the cheap flights offered by SWA when going through the south and southwest. Some of those driving distances are murder. And, remember it's 600 miles from LA to SF, the easy way, not on hwy 1. I think you have a very busy 19 days planned, but assuming you're young and full of energy and love to drive, I would say go for it and have a great time.Oh--in Sedona go to the Hitching Post restaurant and the Mexican in Telacquepaque (sp).