Search

NYC to Jax, a trip report (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC to Jax, a trip report (sort of)

Or---The Further Adventures of Scarlett, the Yankee and Pup~
We left NYC on January 10th, it was about 7 degrees when we drove away, headed towards the (hopefully) warm South.
We made good time, driving through DC on a Saturday was good, minimal traffic, the mover had told us about the confusion with 295, 495, 95, and we listened well, because we made it around the loop the first time with no trouble.
Whew~ I imagined going around and around DC, seeing the Washington Monument in the distance, never getting closer, never getting away!
As we travelled through Virginia and into NC, we saw snow. Yikes! Snow in NC, times have changed!
We stayed the night at a Comfort Inn (dog friendly) in Rocky Mt NC. Right across the road from a huge hospital, we were not thrilled with the dreariness of the room, but it was fairly clean and after a while, fairly quiet, so we all slept well. ( Although Pup did show a tendency to growl every time he heard someone go down the hall)
He is just not a Hotel kind of Pup~
* A word about Pet Friendly hotels..I called many hotels that were on I-95 along the way, to see what their pet friendly(as advertised) policies were. Beware of the "deposit"...we were told many times that there was a Non Refundable deposit of anywhere from $50-$100 for the dog, while the room cost about $60- 70 for us! Now if it is Non refundable, does that make it a deposit or a fee? You get a deposit back. There are also many hotels who only want pocket dogs, my Big Pup at 65 pounds was not wanted in a few places..( don't tell him, he would be devestated)
Also, they do not want you leaving the dog in the room alone, so keep that in mind when you want to get food.
Sunday we took off early and enjoyed the changing of the scenery, more and more green, warmer, South of the Border was no temptation, who does go there?
We arrived in Florida around 5 pm, the weather was wonderful, 60's sunny, dry.
We stayed at the La Quinta Inn, Pup friendly, a lovely new hotel. I do recommend it.
Right next door was the CrackerBarrel Restaurant. Now I don't know how I could have missed these places..but I had never eaten in one, and thought it was my duty to go , find out and report back here if anyone should dine there.
I am sad to say, there was nothing in this place that would bring me back. Cornbread that tasted fried in grease, tasteless fish, How sad
But we made up for it with a huge brownie fudge sundae and promises to keep researching for the best Old Time Southern Food in Jacksonville.
If you want to, do give me your recommendations.
So here we are...
The neighbors are neighborly, a litte too if you ask the Yankee.
The weather is gorgeous and soon will be beach weather.
Why didn't anyone tell me about the Wolf Spiders???
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Wonderful to hear you made it safe and sound! I know many of us missed you.
May you have many lovely memories in your new home and city! I predict you will get used to friendly neighbors
(just define your "fences" early LOL!)
R5
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 08:40 PM
LN

Well Scarlett you and my DH both agree on Cracker Barrell. Glad you had a good and safe trip (especially around DC) and made it to Jax still speaking to each other.

I don't know about Wolf spiders (???) but I know you don't want to meet up with any brown recluse spiders around here in Florida. It's been really cool here this past month and I'm hoping it warms up some since you've arrived. Unfortunately we'll take the drive up for the BIG game. Boo-hoo
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Brown Recluse are another dreadful form of wildlife that I have been warned against. A Wolf Spider, if that is what it was, is about the size of my hand, black and hid in my fireplace...
thank goodness for the sharp eye and deft hand of my Yankee who single handedly battled the monster and killed it with a blow from a block of wood, after spraying it with the only thing we could find unpacked, HairSpray!! It was probably combing its hair when the wooden block hit!
It may be cool here but it was lovely to take the Pup out in the back yard in my pjs and feel the warm breezes. Back at home, I hear it is a little chillier~ We will try to go to the beach today..Pup needs some sand between his furry toes.
Next: Restaurant reviews~
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:28 AM
GoTravel

Cracker Barrel makes my stomache upset but it is big with the Geritol crowd.

Glad you all had a safe trip down and I hope you waved as you passed the ACE basin in SC!

Wolf Spiders are no big thing, wait till the Palmetto Bugs show up. They look like huge, mutant cockroaches that fly. Yuck.

Welcome back to the south Scarlett! I just love Jacksonville! It has such a pretty skyline lit up at night on the river.

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Glad to hear to made it ok, Scarlett! Also glad to hear you're finding time to take walks on the beach. You're not missing anything in NYC -- it's painfully cold and we're about the get huge snow/ice storm in the next couple of days. Dip a toe in the water for me
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Glad to hear you made it ok, Scarlett! Also glad to hear you're finding time to take walks on the beach. You're not missing anything in NYC -- it's painfully cold and we're about the get huge snow/ice storm in the next couple of days. Dip a toe in the water for me
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Apologies -- don't know why that posted twice.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM

LOL about the spider and the hairspray! If you think the spiders are bad, just wait until you are introduced to the roaches. If you spray them with hairspray, they will cough once and then do YOUR hair!!! LOL, not really. But a long time ago at work we tried to kill a roach with room deodorizer (at work) and it took forever (I think he finally drowned!)

Remember that spiders and lizards are your friends... they eat the other bugs. Oh heavens... OTHER BUGS??

Enough about the Fla wildlife! We make up for it with the beautiful sunny days and the great beaches!! I'm farther south is Ft Lauderdale, but enjoy Amelia Island and St. Augustine.

I agree about the food at Cracker Barrel. The only "good" thing there is the shopping! I've gotten some cute things there.

You'll settle into your new home before you know it, and then be able to explore your surroundings... what fun! Even though I travel through J'ville everytime we head to NC, I think I've only taken 295 once. I usually enjoy going through the city. However, it's on a weekend when we go through, or at night, so the traffic is fine. I'd never attempt it during rush hour!

Welcome to Florida!!!!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:40 AM

I remember when I moved to Florida and had my first Palmetto Bug attack. My roommate said it was a Palmetto Bug. I said it' looks like a cockroach that flies! She said that's exactly what it is, but they give it a fancy name.

Just remember Scarlett, you are a tough Yankee! ;-)

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:18 AM

topping for scarlett
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Paletto bugs? do they live in the Palmetto trees (like the ones in my back yard)??

Somehow, I do not remember any of these insects from my childhood, perhaps Tara was that enchanted place we all have as children that had nothing Bad in it.. like big bad bugs.

Yes, Michelle, I am sorry to see the weather forecasts are so rough on everyone! It was sad to say goodbye to our little home, but I do admit, driving away from 8 degree weather made it a bit easier.

Restaurants so far:
Bistro Aix,San Marco area)
wonderful food, great wines, super service
The BoneFish Grill, at Jax Beach and in Mandarin. Grilled seafood, soups, steak, and a dessert made just for me, brownie nut fudge cake with ice cream. Great wine list too!
Cafe Carmon, San Marco, just lunch so far, but very pet friendly(outside) excellent salads and sandwiches.
We were given a gift cert to the Ruth Chris Steak House by our realtor( how nice!) and will try that out next week.
More on the food later...and the beaches..
Oh yeah, it was 80 today
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM

"80 today"! Rub it in now why don't you. I'm freezing my a** off here in the Windy city! Oh what I would do for the sun on my face and sand in my suit!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:54 PM
OliveOyl

Hi Scahlett! Bistro Aix sounds very promising. Gather up names then we'll come help you try them all out.

Palmetto bugs...I guess they can live in the palmetto trees, or...pine trees, or grass, or oak trees or or or. They are just a fact of life...sort of like the neighbor who comes over too often unannounced. Fortunately you can use an exterminator on one but not the other.

I wonder if you heard about the boating accident here yesterday. The co-founder of Bonefish Grill was racing his cigarette boat in Tampa Bay, running at speeds over 100 mph, when it "caught some wind" and flipped. His two passengers were ejected but found and picked up by the boat he'd been racing. As of this morning anyway....I hven't listened to the news since....he has not been found. 37 years old.

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:57 PM
GoTravel

OO, What was his name? One of those guys is a good friend of mine and my husband and they both have YOUNG children!!!????

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM
GoTravel

Okay, I found out who they were and we don't know those two. Horrible sounding accident.

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Words of wisdom from one Floridian to another -- roach bait, ant bait, lime-away, bleach. Things are different here. And watch which beach you take Pup -- not too many allow dogs on the beach. You could get a ticket.

One good thing about Cracker Barrel is that you can rent books-on-tape with a deposit that they refund when you drop them off at another CB further down the road.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Tandoori Girl, Thank you! I had been told to put lime around the property to discourage snakes but was not sure if the person was just having some fun with a semi-Yankee.
We have some people coming out to do a overhaul on the property-no more critters allowed!
What a shame about the BoneFish Grill founder. I think if I ever have to go out on a boat, I will stick with a small one on a quite pond or maybe with Olive and Popeye !
We had a big thunder and lightening storm, weather will cool down again.
Dogs on beaches, I heard that Jax Beach allows dogs on leashes and one of them allows them off leash in the evenings.
There will be a huge "Dog Event" on Jax Beach in March..a Greyhound Charity event but all people are welcome with their pups. Our Pup of course will attend!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Limeaway to clean your bathrooms and kitchen. Florida's water filters through a limestone bed so it's loaded with lime -- this dissolves it quickly. Same reason you have to use a rinse aid in the dishwasher (or Sunlight).

Snakes in the yard! Now that's a good one.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM
GoTravel

Scarlett, call your local PD as to the local leash law. Dogs are allowed on the beaches here from September through May on a leash only. Horses from October 15-March 15th. Some places don't allow dogs on the beach at all.

About those spiders, most of the big scary ones are good in that they live off the bad bugs. Finding one in the house I'd freak. The Yankee is a hero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -