NYC this weekend--call me crazy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and the kids (ages 21, 17) considering super quick trip to NYC from central OH this weekend. Primary goal is to see Chicago at Ambassador Theater (49th and Broadway). Timing and rationale are a long story--I won't bore you. We will be driving. Don't want to drive in Manhattan if at all possible. Will leave OH Saturday morning and arrive in NYC area Sat evening. Need hotel and wondering what our best option would be in terms of getting us to/from our points of interest--NJ? Long Island? Assume we are best to avoid Manhattan hotel but won't exclude that as an option based on recommendations. Plan on Sunday matinee for show then depart for home right after. Would love to see the WTC site (museum will have to be for another trip). Best place to stay to get to Times Square/Ambassador via subway? Looks like there are several stops near there. Would a visit to the WTC site be best Sat PM after our arrival or Sun am before the show? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 02:41 PM

For such an incredibly quick trip, I would not add commuting in and out of Manhattan both on Saturday and Sunday. This is especially true if you need to get on the road right after the play. I would look for your best hotel option near Times Square, which is also near the Lincoln Tunnel. This way you arrive via the tunnel from New Jersey and get to your hotel after not too many blocks. Most of the subway lines near Times Square have direct trains to the WTC. After the play, no fussing with transportation to someplace in New Jersey.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 05:54 AM

There are so many great deals on NY hotels right now--check Travelzoo, Time Out New York, etc. It's almost worth going right now just because of the room rates.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 06:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ellenem
For such an incredibly quick trip, I would not add commuting in and out of Manhattan both on Saturday and Sunday. This is especially true if you need to get on the road right after the play. I would look for your best hotel option near Times Square, which is also near the Lincoln Tunnel. This way you arrive via the tunnel from New Jersey and get to your hotel after not too many blocks. Most of the subway lines near Times Square have direct trains to the WTC. After the play, no fussing with transportation to someplace in New Jersey.
If you don't want to drive your car into New York City, consider parking at the train station in Lancaster PA and taking one of the Keystone Service trains to New York Penn station. NYP is on top of a big subway station.
My very first Amtrak trip was from Washington DC to NYP in October 2001 about 5 weeks after 9/11. My second Amtrak trip was from NYP to Toronto on the Maple Leaf.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 07:11 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I do love staying right in Times Square in Manhattan for shows. But on my last trip (January) I stayed with my friend in NJ and we drove to the ferry, parked in a garage and it was a quick trip over to Manhattan. The bus dropped us off close to the theater. We did this both for a Saturday matinee and a Sunday evening show (after going to church in NJ). So twice in one weekend - (Hamilton and Mockingbird). It was surprisingly easy and I loved the ferry. There's a hotel right next to the parking garage and several families were staying there and taking the ferry over. Years ago, when the Sheraton further south first opened I thought about doing it. Great view of the skyline from the hotel room. I never had done it before but we are doing it again this fall when the Music Man opens.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 03:25 AM

Check the weather... Looks like you might be driving in snow for most of the trip, including in NYC.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Check the weather... Looks like you might be driving in snow for most of the trip, including in NYC.
Yes. We have postponed our trip as a result.