Search

NYC The Marlton Hotel, or the Ace Hotel, or the Chelsea Hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2024, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC The Marlton Hotel, or the Ace Hotel, or the Chelsea Hotel

Hi,
I'm staying in NYC for two nights to go to a concert at Hammerstein Ballroom. I'll be alone and want to stay somewhere safe, and walkable to good food and window shopping. I've booked at the Marlton, but I can't make up my mind. The newly renovated Chelsea Hotel looks nicer and has better reviews but people say the block is sketchy. And, some people say they love the Ace Hotel which is less expensive than the Marlton but it doesn't seem like it's in a good area of restaurants and stores. A part of me wants to go farther away from the Hammerstein to stay in a SohoHotel. Would it be a better experience because that's where the best restaurants and stores are for when I'm not at the concert? Please advise.
Old May 7th, 2024, 05:42 AM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to the Fodors forums. Your thread has been moved to the United States board and tagged for New York
Old May 8th, 2024, 05:17 AM

There is nothing really sketchy about the area of the Chelsea Hotel. Its near major subway stops so you and to get a lot of people coming to and from the subway but that makes in convenient.
Old May 9th, 2024, 07:03 AM

Whoever told you about the ACE is wrong. Its a great area for eating. Its in NOMAD.
Old May 11th, 2024, 09:38 AM

My choice would easily be the Chelsea. The area is rich in dining choices. including Chelsea Market which is a group of food stalls and places to eat at every level - it's fun. If you like art galleries and art museums Chelsea is a must visit place.
The hotel itself is historic both in architecture and in the people who lived there when it was primarily a residential hotel. It seems that everyone who was anybody in the art and creative world lived there at one time. I remember visiting a friend as a teen who lived there with sculptor and concert pianist parents.
It is one of those "if the walls could speak" places. I love places like the Chelsea.
Ceilings are high and walls are thick mitigating noise. Look the hotel up in Wiki and you will be impressed.
Old May 11th, 2024, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
Whoever told you about the ACE is wrong. Its a great area for eating. Its in NOMAD.
To clarify - NOMAD is an acronym for "North of Madison Square Park". It is an area bounded by 25th St on the south, 30th St on the north, 6th Av to the west (some articles say 7th Av) and Madison Av to the east (the actual boundries can vary depending on what article you look at). Madison Square Park itself is between E 23rd St and E 26th St and between 5th Av and Madison Av. It was the site of the original Madison Square Garden (1890-1925).

https://www.cityneighborhoods.nyc/nomad
Old May 13th, 2024, 04:06 PM

We’ve stayed at the Marlton and it’s very charming and nice neighborhood. Rooms were small.
Old May 18th, 2024, 01:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I recommend The Chelsea Hotel. Great location.