Reload this Page >

NYC Show Tickets and Hotels???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:59 PM
paul

My wife and some friends would like to drive to New York City this summer to see a couple of shows, staying maybe three nights. What is the best way to plan ahead of time for getting decent tickets for selected shows? Specifically she has to see "Rent" (she's addicted, but has never seen it in NY) and maybe Lion King or the Producers. What is the best approach for getting tickets? Also, where would be the best place to stay location wise? A decent hotel but it doesn't have to be the absolute top shelf. Is parking a car in town a problem? Any help on these questions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:35 PM
Statia

When I travel to NYC, I buy my tickets from Tickemaster.com. You can have them mailed if you are in the US, but since I'm overseas, I do will call and pick them up when I get to town. That's one option so that you can book early and get the seats you want.

As far as hotel and parking, I'll let someone else give you advice there. I tend to go to NYC on business and have to stay in an area other than Times Square.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:29 PM
Eva

Paul, If you are going with shows in mind, you must stay in the Times Square area. it is fun, convenient and constantly busy and therefore a bit more secure.
Your wife is right, "Rent" is a must see. if you are willing to stand in line, the TKTS booth is a good option for cut rates also risking showing up an hour before curtain or at the theatre @8 a.m.
Parking is incredibly expensive but necessary. In that area there are a couple of cheaper hotels tht I found bearable but other posters absolutely hate. For me the amount of time I spend in the hotel is so minimal that I can overlook the little things. I have stayed at both the Moderne and the Amsterdam Court both owned by the same group--neither are luxurious but they are safe and very convenient in regards to location. Plus both offered a b'fast that although not fancy (bagels & muffins etc.) saved me from leaving the premises to attain coffee. Spend some time looking for cheap rates on line. It is worth the time.
Depending on where you are driving from, be prepared-- the approach from the north can be long-- traffic is a pain. Once you are in the city park your car and forget about driving.
Have fun-- the other shows you have mentioned are also great!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:57 AM
arjay

It was from this forum that I learned of Playbill on line..In the past, we've done the TCKTS thing, but on a short trip, it may not be how you want to spend a precious hour or more. At the Playbill site, you can register and then receive all kinds of updates on discount tickets. We used it two weeks ago to see Elaine Stritch (for $40 per, balcony) and Chicago (main floor, center orchestra for, I think, $50 per - these same seats had a $90 box office price). I think the address is just playbillonline.com, or you can do a search. Good luck!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:14 AM
Howard

The Playbill website is www.playbill.com. Rent is usually available there.