Reload this Page >

NYC--Should we get a citypass?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Becky

Is the citypass a good deal even if you don't go to all of the attractions? Does it make a difference in shorter waits in line? It is good for Empire State, WTC, Am. History, Guggenheim, MOMA, and Intrepid. I doubt we'll have time for the Intrepid. Guggenheim we will try to get to, and the other 4 are for sure. I would have to get 3 adults($34) and three youth($24). I have a 10 year old that would be free at a couple of the museums, but it wouldn't make sense to stand in line for him at ESB and WTC if we all had passes, right? We will be getting in this Sat. afternoon and will probably go to the ESB that night. Where would be the best place to get the passes without waiting in line? Thanks!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 05:47 PM
rqf

YOu can order the Citypass on line or purchase it at any of the places listed. Don't make a big thing of waiting in line at any of the attractions to purchase a Citypass. Lines to purchase tickets at Natural History, MOMO,Intrepid and the Guggenheim won't be long. The longest wait would probably be at the Empire State and the WTC. The lines move quickly at both these places but the wait can be extensive to get to the observation deck. Having a citypass doesn't, so far as I know, allow you to get to the head of the line. You might reconsider going to both Empire and WTC and substituting the Intrepid for one of them. If I had to chose one I would pick the WTC. In my opinion views are superior. Also getting up and down from the observation deck at Empire State can be a time consuming process. It has been a number of years since my last visit to the Empire State but I recall waiting close to 30 minutes waiting for the elevatoro to get down.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Patrick

OK, I give up. What's Intrepid?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Becky

The Intrepid is an aircraft carrier used in WWII, Vietnam, and also was a space program recovery ship. It is now used as a museum at Pier 86. That is all I know. If anyone says it is awesome and not to be missed, speak up, or it will probably not make it onto the schedule unless the boys go there while the girls go shopping!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Mel

I visited NYC last year and thought the CityPass was a good deal. Saved money even though I didn't visit Intrepid. Got my pass at the Empire State Building at night with no wait. If you do both WTC and Empire, go to Empire at night for the view.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Sara

I used the CityPass last year and was very glad I did. We bought it on-line but it might be too late for that for you. It was nice not to have the worry for tickets even if the lines weren't long. I also found we went to MOMA for just a few minutes, where without the pass we wouldn't have gone at all. It sounds like you like art - if there are a few art fans and not art fans it might be a possiblity to split and do the Intreprid while others are doing art. The Intreprid was fun but similar things can be see in other cities if you are really pressed for time. We went to the WTC during the day (short line - but it wasn't spring break either!) and the Empire State at night - absolutely fantastic - so glad we did both, I really do recommend going to one during the day and one at night. Have a great time!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:53 AM
S

Basically, if you visit 4 of the 6 attractions offered thru the Citypass, it's a good deal. At 3, it's a wash.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 05:36 PM
rqf

I wouldn't say the Intrepid is awesome and not to be miswed but it is a good visit. In addition to the carrier there are tours of a nuclear sub and I believe a destroyer. I suspect the boys would find it a very interesting visit. If I were a teen I would certainly want to visit the Intrepid as opposed to MOMA or the Guggenheim.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Caitlin

Well, not all teens are alike! (Although Becky only mentioned a ten-year-old, which is a different story.) But me and a good friend came to NYC for a vacation on our own during the summer between junior and senior years in high school (staying with and visiting family friends and an aunt), and while we did our share of shopping and hanging out, museum-going was our first objective. We went to the Met, MoMA, the Guggenheim, the Whitney, and the International Center for Photography, and loved every minute. Some kids dig art. True, we were girls, but we'd never have visited an aircraft carrier. Boring!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Becky

The kids actually DO want to go to the art museums! We won't be spending all day there, but the older two(girl,18; boy, 16) actually have art museums at the top of their "to see" lists, after loving what we saw in London last year. Since the older ones think art is cool, it is an easier sell to the younger boys! We are hoping for a well-rounded mixture of culture, fun, and discovery that you can only experience in a big city!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:06 AM
Caitlin

Becky, if you decide against the citypass, or want to visit museums not on it, remind your older kids to bring their school ID cards, so they can get an admission discount.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 04:23 AM
Deb

In my opinion the Intrepid is a floating musuem and a BIG part of our history. Many people died to give us the freedom to be able to visit all those other musuems! I find this far from boring! We need to educate our children and ourselves on patriotism too! Just my humble opion. Sorry to get off the main topic.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:55 AM
paula

Deb, you're making me cry !! I visited the Intrepid a couple of years ago because I also bought the citypass..I took some great pictures and enjoyed myself reasonably well. The airplanes and helicopters on display are pretty worn down but are worth the visit. I thought the museum inside the ship was a bit lame and I didn't have the patience to stand in line to visit the destroyer and the sub. If I had the time I would have probably waited..
I went there with my brother, father and boyfriend and they all had a heck of a better time than I did...!! I was especially surprised to find a section of the Berlin Wall right on the entrance..that was cool !