Search

NYC Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 11:06 PM
Nancy

NYC Restaurants

We only have three nights in NYC and too many restaurants to pick from! Friends have recommended Nobu, Mesa Grill, I Trulli, Montrachet, Tabla, Remi, San Domenico, and Primavera. We're not too much into traditional French, but if it's 'out of this world" we may reconsider. Any recommendations?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:26 AM
jhm

If you can get a reservation at Nobu, I would say that's your top choice. It may be difficult, though, depending on the size of your party and when you are planning to be there. I'd recommend trying to make it now. It is one of the best places in NY. Out of your others, I have only been to Mesa Grill and thought it was very good, but wouldn't necessarily run back.

What's your favorite food? Are you into NY scene type places, or just plain old good food?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Nancy

We like "lighter" foods - fish, vegetables, pasta. We're from the SF Bay area, and we love restaurants like Aqua, Roy's and Boulevard.

I think we'll definitely try Nobu's. Any other recommendations?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Caitlin

You may be able to walk into Nobu or Next Door Nobu at 6 pm on a weeknight or for lunch; otherwise, plan on getting on the phone at 9 am EDT 28 days before you want to reserve--not kidding about this. I Trulli is terrific Italian (Apulian) food, with a great Italian wine selection. They have a farden that's lovely in the summer. Enoteca I Trulli next door for lighter fare and lots of wines by the glass. You might want to try Bread Bar at Tabla, for casual fare where you don't need a reservation over the pix fixe upstairs. Given what you say about your tastes, I wouldn't run to any of the others you mention. You're probably aware that they're all expensive. There's good food to be had here, but you won't be impressed with the quality of produce, etc. used compared to the Bay Area (I live in NYC but am from the Bay Area). Happy to offer more suggestions depending on what you're looking for in food/price/area.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Tammy

I second Roy's. They have consistently served first class meals to suit every member of my party every time I've been there, which is about six times.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Tammy

I would like to add, I'm very unhappy to hear that Roy's has joined the Outback Steak House in a venture to open more Roy's. Another Wolfgang Puck!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:19 PM
jhm

I think you should add Bouley Bakery to your list. Really terrific food.

If you go to Nobu and Bouley Bakery, I think you will have done quite well for yourself. I'm a big fan of Jean Georges and Il Mulino as well.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Nancy

Sounds like Nobu is a unanimous choice. I Trulli, Bouley Bakery and Il Mulino sound like definite possibilities. Thanks for the help!

ps - I'm really sorry to hear that about Roy's...

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:34 PM
David

Il Mulino!!!! One of the best (if not the best) meals I've ever eaten.