NYC questions--------

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC questions--------

My best friend and I are ditching the husbands and kids next week and heading to NYC for a long weekend. We've planned out most of our activities, but still have a few unanswered questions.

I'm looking for someplace to buy inexpensive paintings/artwork. When I was in Paris last year, I bought an oil painting of Notre Dame from a booth along the Seine River for $30. I'd love to find something similar in NYC for a souvenir. Anyone have any recommendations on where to find street-vendor-type artwork at a reasonable price? Would the flea markets, Chelsea markets, etc have this kind of stuff?

Another question--- where's a good fabric store in Manhattan? Another favorite of mine is finding fabric and using it in our home for pillows, throws, etc to decorate. (Another useful souvenir!)

Last question --- I've got a mental list of NYC munchies to enjoy --- things like black and white cookies, gelato, street vendor hotdogs, etc. Anything I should add to this list? What are your personal favorites --- little things we shouldn't miss?

Thanks,
Marla
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 01:14 PM

As a fellow tourist,I think you'll maybe find the art you're looking for around the museums -- I've always seen lots around the Metropolitan. There are some others around Times Square, but the quality seems better near the museums. However, I'm sure the natives will have much better suggestions,and answers to your other questions.

One of my very favorite things to do in New York is to hit the groceries on the Upper West Side,which is where we usually stay -- Fairway, Zabars etc will furnish you with lots of edible souvenirs!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 01:35 PM

There are indeed lots of 'artists' selling the type of thing you mention right outside the Metropolitan Museum. Some are not actually the artists but just people selling copies of other artists' works. And at the price you mention, you're not going to get oil paintings or even watercolors--more like a print of some sort. You may find something you like, and the streets around the museum are not as crazy as trying to stop and look and pull out cash on a midtown street.

If you are looking for interesting tasteful NYC items, don't forget museums like the New-York Historical Society and The Museum of the City of NY.
Both sell posters, prints, cards etc with "old NY scenes" that are nice souvenirs.

The main fabric areas of the city are
39th and 40th street , between 7th and 8th avenues (dozens of street level stores, excellent selection and prices, many supply the garment industry manufacturers) and parts of the Lower East Side. May be out of the way for you, but Harry Zarin is a huge warehouse like fabric supplier that specializes in upholstery fabrics, rather than dress fabrics
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Ices! Get Italian ices !

Greenwhich Village & Soho has young'uns selling their art on the sidewalks.
Flea markets will most likely have someone elses Aunt Bettys junk art, you are better off finding it on the street or in a museum shop or one of the many small shops in the area of the Village.
Have fun!

Yes I am aware I spelled Greenwich Village incorrectly...dopey dopey me.
Rob

For art - outside Metropolitan Museum
Black and white cookies - lots of places but certainly Fairway
Hot dog vendors - they are all over the place.
Fabric stores = Rae Home, 452 Broadway. They have a website - www.raehome.com
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Escuse me for butting in, but what are black and white cookies? I'm heading for New York in Oct and it sounds like something I shouldn't miss.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:45 PM

The best "street" art can be found on West Broadway in SoHo, between Canal and Bleecker. It's much better than that found on Fifth Avenue outside the Metropolitan Museum. The best selection can be found on Saturdays and Sundays.

Can't help you with fabric stores, unfortunately, but I'm sure they exist here if they exist elsewhere.

You must try our New York bagels. H&H on the Upper East or Upper West Sides, Pick-a-Bagel, etc. There's nothin' like 'em anywhere else. You can skip the street hotdogs unless you want to spend some time in the bathroom.

(The black & white cookie is half chocolate frosting, half vanilla. See Seinfeld episode.)

Enjoy NYC!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Great information --- keep it coming! Ok, so what's the difference between Italian ice and gelato? OR is Italian ice the same as gelato?

Thanks,
Marla
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:55 AM

There is a world of difference between gelato and Italian. Gelato is more like ice cream....only much, much better!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Gelato is made from milk instead of cream. While still creamy in texture, the lower fat content allows the flavor to come through more intensely. It isn't beaten full of air like ice cream, which also adds to the creamy texture.

My favorite for gelato--Il Gelatone on Third Avenue between 28th and 29th, very authentic, run by Italians from Florence. They offer a wide selection of gelati and sorbetti (like sorbet, made with water, again intense flavors). They even imported the correct cups and spoons.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:10 AM

The best black and white cookies are not in NYC. They are in Utica, New York at a bakery called Hemstaugh's. I am not kidding but it's too far from NY. What IS good in New York are Gray's Papaya hot dogs.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Here's a post on fabric stores in NYC, http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34396327

Also do a search on Fabric AND NYC to find more.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Yev

Also you must have Pizza. Pizza in New York is probably the best on the continent. In addition Juniors Cheesecake is very very very good. Finally try some of the foreign type restaurants (French, Russian, Japanese, Indian, etc...) Most of tnem here are quite good.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Best pizza by the slice, Joe's, 2 locations on Carmine st near 6th Av and Bleecker. For sit down pizza (not by the slice), John's on Bleecker St (and otehr midtown locations), Lombardi's on Spring St., Arturo's on Houston St. Gelato, check our Ciao Bello, various locations. As far as street vendor hotdogs, I think the grilled (not boiled or steamed), 100% beef ones are the better choice. For black and white cookie info, see the thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34408340
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:46 AM

After overloading on garlic at dinner in Little Italy, we wander over to Belle Ferraro and have an Italian ice. It cools your mouth but doesn't have the same "weight" as gelato.

I am saving myself for Florence and their Gelato
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM

My bf was one of the artists who sold his stuff outside the Met. Most of the people who sell up there *are* the real artists/photographers, and we got to know some quite well. If you are going to that area anyway, check it out...otherwise go to West Broadway in Soho (that's south of Houston). West Broadway also has several art galleries - nothing cheap - but you can see Warhols and Picassos for sale. Good to check out, anyway.

There is also a gallery far west on Prince Street in Soho that sells all original paintings for (I believe) under $500 (smaller ones tend to be a lot cheaper of course). I wish I remembered the name of it...it is positively packed with cool things!

Don't look around Times Square for art. You won't find the real stuff.

If I were you I'd stay away from "street meat"! But on Canal Street in Chinatown, you can get a mango on a stick from a street vendor!
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Personally.... I think the street meat (kebabs) are fine and I've never had a problem with them.

For fabric stores just check out the garment district - best bets and largest number are on 38th and 39th Streets between 7th and 8th but there are others in that general areas as well. Great selection of unusual stuff and good prices. Many of them are open on Sundays.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 03:36 PM

LOL, Owen, I was actually referring to hot dogs, aka "dirty water dogs". Though they are not supposed to, some of the vendors don't change the hot dog water very often. Blech!
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 05:08 PM

I feel that the very best black and white cookies are Zabar's. Nothing against Fairway, which is an awesome store, but Zabar's excels in making the perfect b&w, with an almost cake-like base; not too large; a box to take home would make a perfect gift. Zabar's coffee is very full-flavored, like Starbucks, but fresher and $3/pound cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -