NYC: opera and a bridal salon

Feb 4th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

NYC: opera and a bridal salon

Hello all --

I've been to NYC before, but never the Met. I never thought I would ask this question, but: how should we dress?

We've been to Lincoln Center several times and it ranged from blue jeans to evening wear -- is the Met the same?

Also -- my engaged DD will be with me, and we want to visit some bridal salons. Especially interested in those that carry upscale "vintage" gowns.

I also know there is a rather famous store in Brooklyn -- ? -- but can't remember the name.

We know we will need appointments!

thanks!
Feb 4th, 2009, 06:39 PM
yk

Where are your seats at the Met?

the rich folks in the boxes will wear tux and gowns. the cheap folks (like me) in Family Circle nosebleed will wear anything from suit to jeans.
Feb 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM

The "famous" store in Brooklyn has now moved to Manhattan and is called Kleinfeld's. I think you have to make an appointment before you go. There is also the "bride's building" in Manhattan. It is a building in the "garment center" where many bridal manufacturers are all on different floors. I don't know if they still do this, but they used to be open to the public on Saturday's and you could go from floor to floor looking at gowns. You buy "as is", no alterations. It's been a long time since I've been in the wedding circuit so I don't know if the "bride's building" still exists.
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:00 PM

1st re the gown-google Kleinfeld
2nd re the Met-Dress so you wont feel self-conscious-neat- clean- jacket- sweater-slacks. Jeans etc really stand out there-they just ;look out of place.
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
yk

Funny, the only bridal salon I know of in NYC, is Kleinfeld's, because it's the star of the TLC show "Say Yes to the Dress". but I knew it's in Manhattan and not Brooklyn.

Brookside, perhaps you and your DD can be on reality TV?
http://kleinfeldbridal.com/
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:42 PM

I dress in pretty nondescript clothes. that's because I get to the opera by subway and don't want to stand out from the nondescript clothing of EVERYMAN in the subway system.
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:45 PM

I second Kleinfeld's. Lazaro was actually in there one day to meet with the brides. I would have flipped to have been able to meet the designer of such beautiful dresses!
Feb 5th, 2009, 06:48 AM

wow, can't believe Kleinfeld's not in Brooklyn! Their buying power really makes a difference.

When my wedding gown arrived, it looked way to shiny and tacky; turns out that the sample I had tried on yellowed a bit with age, so they were able to get the dress remade for me on a super fast turnaround.

At my wedding, everyone asked if my dress was a family heirloom!

Feb 5th, 2009, 07:39 AM

"The Met" or the Metropolitan Opera is at Lincoln Center so I'm a bit confused by your question. Do you mean you attended theater or ballet at Lincoln Center but not opera? The only time people get really dressed at the opera is for a gala evening or opening night of the season. Otherwise you'll see everything from cocktail dresses and business attire to jeans.

Here's a link to the NY Magazine list of bridal gown places. http://nymag.com/weddings/listings/gowns/

If by "vintage" you mean gently used but recent gowns, there are a few listings for that. If you really mean vintage, I did a search and found this place which makes new dresses using vintage styling
http://www.maryadamsthedress.com/about/index.html

This shop also makes vintage look dresses. http://www.darlingnyc.com/index.html
Feb 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Ditto what everyone else said for the Met.

Don't know about salons with vintage gowns, but you might also want to visit the Bridal Garden (check the NYC message boards on the knot.com for more help regarding this). They have 'gently used' designer gowns at discounted prices and the proceeds go to chairty as far as I understand.