Reload this Page >

NYC: New Hotels/New Shows

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Charley

Greetings to all New Yorkers (and NYers at heart) from California! So true that tragedy often leads people closer together. We (family of 5, 3 teenagers) have never even thought of spending our once-a-year family vacation in NY (especially in the hot summers during which Hawaii and Southern California's always been our primary destination), but since 9/11 NY (and DC) has become more a part of our lives. So we're planning to go there this August and are really really looking forward to partaking in some of the food, entertainment and just being around true NYers. Since it's only once-a-year, we don't mind splurging (as long as it's worth the money).

So, please, let us know what's new and what's good out there! So far we've got tickets to see the Lion King and the Yankees (versus the A's of course, Giants aren't in town in August). Shall we stay at the new Ritz Carlton at Central Park? the Four Seasons? Or what other NY-only-type hotels are there? Please let me know too if I've got to make reservations now for Broadway shows or restaurants that we ought not to miss.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Serena

It is best to purchase tickets for the most popular broadway shows as early as possible ,if prime seats for a performance are important to you. "Throughly Modern Millie" is opening this month. Check the NY newspapers for reviews. "42nd Street" is another good family show.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:55 AM
ss

Call (800) NYCVISIT and ask for a copy of the NYC Guide and other literature. Still a hot show ticket and worth seeing is The Producers. You couldn't go wrong with the Four Seasons but other hotels near that level are the Peninsula, Plaza, Sherry Netherland, St. Regis and the Mark

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Charley

Thank you Serena and "ss": What about restaurants, any I should make a reservation for now? Please share any of your favorite 'only-in-New York' stuff to do. Again, really appreciate it.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Howard

Make your restaurant reservations in July. Some of the popular ones, like Union Square Cafe, accept reservations a month out. So, if you're planning on dining at one of these, make sure you call on that first day (i.e., a month out) or you may be disappointed.
As for places to see and things to do, remember it'll be hot in August (usually the warmest month of the year here), so I'd suggest some indoor activities. You've lots of museums to choose from, with the Metropolitan topping the list.
A Circle Line cruise around the island of Manhattan is a good choice in the warm, sunny weather, as is the FREE Staten Island Ferry, which gives a great view of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:10 PM
aMom

Lion King is great choice. For another play, I would suggest Les Mis or Phantom, if you haven't seen them already. They are both great. I think better than 42nd st. I haven't seen millie. Be sure to spend a day exploring the Village and Soho. Your teens will love it. Also the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is very nice. You can find many threads on that here.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:14 PM
aMom

As far as restaurants, many only take reservations up to 30 days in advance although if you are staying at one of those hotels you mention, I'm sure they can help you out with reservations. Some nice ones that are hard to get into are Babbo, Balthazar, Union Sq. Cafe, Tabla.