Reload this Page >

NYC Metro Card/Pass Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 01:27 PM
Steph

We (party of 3) will be in NYC Sun.-Wed.(leaving early AM by taxi to JFK) in December and will be staying in the Upper West Side. What type of pass should we consider purchasing and what are the prices? Any information or website would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 02:57 PM
xxx

I think my weeklong pass in November ran me $17. Unlimited use on the subways and buses. The pass is much easier to deal with than finding enough change for the group everytime you want to get somewhere. You can buy them right there at the subway stations.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:54 PM
Howard

Obviously, it depends on how much you plan to ride the subway and buses. An individual fare is $1.50. A one-day pass for unlimited use is $4. And, there are other deals.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 07:46 PM
thereuare

NYC Transit Main Page: http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/index.html (go here last... also link to a bus map)

Subway Map: http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Metrocard Info: http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/index.html

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 03:15 AM
Paul

If you plan to take at least 10 subway rides, buy a MetroCard for $15, and you'll get 11 rides for that price, i.e., one free ride.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:54 AM
thereuare

Steph,

Get the unlimited ride metrocard, NOT the $15 one mentioned in the post above. For a tourist, the unlimited rides are the best deal if you will be using mass transit (and i highly recommend you do use it, as it is one of the best systems in the country!)

I LOVE cities that have unlimited ride passes, as i try to do research before i go, and create my own "hop on-hop off" tour. It allows me to do what i want, when i want, and avoid the typical touristy things that i usually like to avoid. It also really puts you in touch with the locals (and in the NYC subway, this can be take literally!)

Since you will be here for 3 days, i would just buy an unlimited DAILY metrocard for each day, as it will be cheaper than the 1 week pass. (ie-no need to buy a daily pass for Wed. since you'll be leaving early in the AM by taxi)

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
KenCT

I absolutely agree with the last poster regarding the one-day unlimited daily "Fun" pass for $4.00. Use it only three times and you've already saved money. I'm not sure that this is still the case, but initially you couldn't buy them at the subway booths. They're available at the machines near the many entrances, Hudson's news stands, and other locations.