NYC/Manhattan trip report--family of four

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from our Spring Break trip to NYC. Family of four, two elementary aged kids. Bottom LIne: it was great and we are exhausted.

I snagged a week at the Manhattan Club for $1400. Two bathrooms, kitchenette and two private sleeping areas. For a family it was fantastic. I have too much success renting unused timeshare weeks from online sources to consider purchasing my own timeshare, but it was a very nice place. Great service, and the location can't be beat.

We managed to do all the "Must Do's" in our week. Walked lots. LOTS. The only big disappointment was that the Guggenheim was redoing it's walls for a show and literally NOTHING was hanging in the circular atrium. My kids were not impressed.

I used to live on Long Island but haven't been to the city in many moons. I have to say it looks good. People were actually helpful, and we truly did not have a bad experience. I am not Pollyanna, as a native New Yorker I know what rude is.

If someone has questions feel free to post and I will answer. We flew through LaGuardia on American. Did taxis, trains and even the bus on one occasion. Saw the Lion King.

I want to go back.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Where is the Manhattan Club and how did you find it?

BTW, the installation in the atrium at the Guggenheim is featured in today's NY Times. Looks like a striped tent.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:53 PM

That was a great deal. Mine only slightly topped it. A friend who owns a timeshare mentioned last year that if they didn't use their two remaining days by the end of May, they'd lose them, yet they didn't want to spend the money to head up there for two days. Meanwhile my partner and I just happened to be stopping over in New York for two nights on the way to Europe, so guess who got to use the place absolutely free? You must have had the type unit we had -- two bathrooms was overkill for the two of us, but it really was a gorgeous place. Ironically, my friends don't normally get that big unit, but we suspect because we were "guests" we got upgraded in the hopes of selling us a unit. We got about four calls during our two day stay asking to show us the "wonderful opportunities of buying there". Forget it!!!!

McLaurie, Manhattan Club is within the building of the Park Central Hotel, opposite Red Eye Grill facing 56th by 7th. The interior of this part of the older hotel was really beautifully done. It's a time share facility.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I found the Manhattan club by doing a random search on eBay. I don't work for either party, by the way. I'm just pokey, and occasionally get really lucky in my finds. We rented a condo in Breckenridge in the same manner.

I would imagine the Guggenheim would look like a tent given what we were able to see on Tuesday.

Patrick, Nyah Nyah Nyah. But my dad is bigger than your dad, so there. (insert pic of face with razzberry tongue.)

The Manhattan Club is opening penthouse units that will be traded through II instead of RCI. I'm sure they will be lovely, but after researching the cost of the units I still can't imagine signing. People do, though. They look to sign 2.5 million a month.

I did get calls to attend the presentations, but declined firmly after the third call. After that I wasn't bothered.

Funniest parts of trip: looking for the flipping Balto statue in Central Park after being misdirected three times and having MOM, me, be on the WRONG side of the subway turnstile when our Metrocard ran out of money.

BTW, we did eat at the Jekyl and Hyde club late on a Monday night, after seeing the Empire STate building. Jekyl and Hyde was world's better than Mars 2112. We simply missed the charm of Mars. J&H was fun for my kids, but certainly not something we would do just for food purposes. For that we did a lot of take out at dinner.

Midweek laundry for the four of us was $14. Not bad and saved on mucho packing. My underwear was folded and creased--something I NEVER do at home.

Thank you all for the great and accurate information you post. It really helps me plan our travel.

For shoppers: the jewelry stores in The Plaza Hotel are having 50% off sales due to the hotel going condo. Prices were still way out of my budget, but 1/2 off $10K is 1/2 off!

Where to next?
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Just a quick email address for other timeshare rental sites that those interested could possibly use. Try www.myresortnetwork.com, www.redweek.com, www.vrbo.com and my favorite www.tug2.net. I can't remember if you have to join the tug site (it is $10 a year) in order to access the rental properties, but we, too, have found some very nice (and large) timeshare properties through them. Hope this helps!