NYC Jazz experience for 13 and 8 yr old?

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:46 PM
KandKmom

NYC Jazz experience for 13 and 8 yr old?

Does anyone know of a place that would be appropriate in NYC for our two kids to see a small jazz ensemble after we see the Radio City Christmas show? Both of our kids are beginning to become really interested in music. Our 13 yr old is playing the alto sax and has said he wants to try out for the jazz band next year. Our 8 yr old has been taking piano for about 6 months and loves Norah Jones. I thought it would be neat for them to go to a small club/restaurant and listen while in NYC. I know that most clubs will be for adults, but I was just curious. I wouldn't want to take them anywhere that isn't appropriate for them nor offend any of the adults there. Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:54 PM

http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com/

Check out this website for the Iridium. It's located a block or so west of Radio City. Wonderful venue.
Very appropriate for kids.

Glad to read that your boys enjoy music...and decent music at that.

Enjoy!

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:03 PM

www.ny.com/clubs/jazz has extensive list of NYC Jazz. Their listing [below] for the Natural History Museum would certainly be appropriate for children. Hope this helps

"American Museum of Natural History. On 81st St. off Central Park West (Hayden Planetarium) (212) 769-5100
Fridays under The Sphere at the Rose Center for Earth and Space. Others will know it as the Hadyn Planetarium. There are two sets weekly (5:45 / 7:15 PM) by highly regarded musicians such as Jimmy Heath, Lou Donaldson, Steve Turre, and David "Fathead" Newman and their quartets. The show admission is included with museum price (suggested donation), and drinks and tapas are available. This is the early Friday show to make" especially if you haven't been to the complex before -- it will surely impress even the most jaded.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 05:51 PM

This is not an "after Radio City" suggestion, but you could check out the jazz brunch held on weekends (usually Sundays) at the Blue Note in the village. I think you are the family that is doing the 3 day NYC trip, correct? This might fit into your schedule, since you are arriving on a weekend. You can search the internet listings for more clubs like this, too. I'm sure many of them serve up a great jazz bruch, and it would be a way to spend some time in the village, as you were planning.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:56 AM

I don't know if you live near NYC, but you might want to check the Lincoln Center schedule, for future reference. They periodically have "Young People's Concerts" at Avery Fisher Hall on Saturday afternoons. It might be a nice way to introduce them to classical music, which may only help to broaden their taste.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:32 AM

If you want a really authentic (as in old time feel) jazz club experience, the Village Vanguard is probably a great choice. Not sure about the policy of letting in underage folks but perhaps if they were seated at table with adults? A more likely bet is Small's Jazz Club in the Village (E. 10th Street) or its sister club, Fat Cat's Billiards. I think they both allow under 21's to enter.

You might also try Birdland in the west 40's - a bit spiffier and more of a white tablecloth restaurant seating type of place but the food is decent and the music is often great - you can go for just dessert and coffee - good way to meet the table minimum and see a show.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Just to respond to Owen O'Neill's ideas,
I was told by a jazzer friend of mine that Small's closed several months ago. Also, I don't think the Vanguard will let any kids in. Sorry. It does have some of the best artists, though. Jazz Standard & Birdland are more like restaurants, so you might be able to convince them to let the kids in.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 02:26 PM
KandKmom

Thanks everyone so far. I will look into either the Iridium or Birdland I think. We will be more dressed up for the Radio City Show, but is the Birdland a shirt and tie type of atmosphere? I don't know if I could get my husband or 13 yr old to go for that. Dressy slacks/ sweater is about the most I can hope for on the guy's part! Many thanks.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Neat/casual is usually fine. I've also seen women come in formal gowns to Birdland, but they were tourists who just wanted to dress up & go out on the town! You should reserve a table ahead of time, because the line may be out the door if there is someone really popular playing.