Search

NYC Itenerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Itenerary help

My husband and I are traveling to NYC at the end of the month for the first time. We will be staying at the Doubletree Suites on Broadway the first two nights then changing hotels to the Grand Hyatt for the last 7 nights. We have some "must-do" things, but need some other ideas. Here's what we have so far.
Friday: arrive late, check in, eat dinner, crash
Saturday: concert at night
Sunday: change hotels, Mets game
Monday: Cooperstown? (Any suggestions on how to get there? Bus?)
Tuesday: ?
Wed: Broadway show matinee
Thurs: ?
Friday: Yankee game PM
Saturday: Yankee game PM
SUnday: check out, go home.
Obviously we love baseball and have that covered well. We do want to see all that the city has to offer in a time-efficient way. Not too hyped on museums, but want to check out the MET. We plan to walk or take the subway everywhere.
Any suggestions on how to see it all, where to go, tips, must-see things, restaraunts etc. are much appreciated.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:33 PM

Do you realize that it's a little over 200 miles from NYC to Cooperstown? So, you're looking at about 8 hours or more in travel time for the round trip! That's a lot for one day
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:49 PM

On Tuesday I would suggest taking a Gray Line double decker bus tour. They have Lower and Upper Manhattan as well as Brooklyn tours. If you only have time to take one, do the Lower Manhattan tour. Otherwise I recommend doing both the lower and upper Manhattan tours if time permits. It's a great way to get an overall view of the city. As the same time you buy the Gray Line tickets, you can also buy tickets for the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tour, which I highly recommend. I wouldn't get off the boat at the Statue of Liberty as you can get a great view of it from on the boat and also since 9/11 you can no longer go inside of the Statue. Instead spend the time on Ellis Island. That can easily take about 3 hours. To see Ground Zero, go to the restored Winter Garden inside the World Financial Center.

Once you have taken the bus tour, on Thursday I would plan to go to the places that you want to explore more in depth. One museum on the Lower East side that is nice to see is the Tenement Museum. If you plan to take the subway, definitely but a Metrocard which is also good for the busses.

Have a great time in the City.

http://graylinenewyork.com/

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Philadelphia is closer and easier to get to than Cooperstown. Take in a Phillies game if they're playing at home.

If really is a long day trip to Cooperstown...
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Others have addressed the NYC portion of the trip. Howard's point is very well taken re/Cooperstown. I suggest cancelling the first night at the Grand Hyatt (or eating the cost if it was a Priceline deal - in that case be sure to advise them that you're checking in a day late and get a written verification that they'll hold the room for you for the next day).

Now..... leave your bags with the bellman at the Hyatt to hold for the next day (they will do this for you), take the NJ Transit #192 bus to Lyndhurst NJ and get off at the corner of Ridge Road - there's an Enterprise rental car agency there - you can get a good price on a car (reserve in advance), drive to Cooperstown to spend the afternoon and evening and drive back the following AM. It's too much to do in a day and getting there by bus is a pain. You could conceivably take a train to Albany and then a bus but it's still a pain in the neck and too much for one day.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

We are still debating on Cooperstown, we really want to go, but the transportation is a big issue, as you all have stated. So we'll see.

To update our itinerary:
Fri: arrive, eat, sleep
Sat: Central Park- what's the boat tour called, what else to do there? COncert at night
Sun: switch hotels, shopping, Mets game PM
Mon: Grey line bus tour (the 2 day one) and circle line cruise-2 hr. Then the night tour on the bus
Tues: Grey line tour again and empire state building
Wed: TKTS and matinee broadway show, brooklyn bridge
Thurs: Maybe Cooperstown,
Fri:GMA summer concert in AM, Ground Zero, world financial center, Yankee game PM
Sat: Yankee game afternoon, then ?
SUn: check out & go home
Any suggestions for a better schedule, things to add or see?????
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:12 PM

my suggestion to you is to keep some time unplanned. new york is a town of walkers...the eye candy you will absorb just by walking down the street can fill your day more quickly than you ever imagined. when my husband and i lived in soho, we would leave the house and head north around noon, grab lunch at a little place that looked appealing and wouldn't arrive home until dark. we walked browsed outdoor fleamarkets, listened to street performers, selected homemade pasta for dinner, sipped a glass of wine on a charming patio...we had no destination but somehow we ended up everywhere we wanted to be. and that is the magic of new york city...
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:54 AM

There is no boat "tour" in Central Park. You can rent a row boat and paddle around. Is that what you're thinking of? The zoo in the park is fun. There's also a pond where people "sail" toy/miniature boats, many with remote controls. There are beautiful formal gardens in the park around 104 St & Fifth Ave. The Metropolitan museum backs onto the park at 82 st & Fifth.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Did you know there's a new minor league in Brooklyn called the Brooklyn Cyclones? Check out brooklyncyclones.net

Might be fun to go see a game there. It's in Coney Island.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:27 AM

You should try to find to to stroll around the village area. Washington Sq park on a nice summer's night (or day_, it always filled with people and many street performers. In the evening sometimes there are concerts or dance bands. It's a great area to sit outside and have a bite to eat or sip a cappuccino. If you like baseball wander over to JJ Walker field (clarkson & hudson sts) where the Greenwich VIllage little league will be preparing for their shot at the little league world series. Also there is a small baseball card exhibit at the Met. You also should check out Mickey Mantle's for lunch or a drink.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:13 AM

If you haven't already, check out this other recent thread for things to do with some extra time in the city.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1

My advice, skip Cooperstown this trip. With everything else you have going on in the city to take an entire day to go out there (I see it is still on there as a possibility) is just a waste. Wendyj is right, you are going to need some "walking around" time for the city, and I would propose spending that Thursday for that. See the above thread for some ideas or just do a simple text search under "NYC Itinerary" for some ideas.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Wendyj is right. NYC is a place where you can walk out the door in the morning, without any real plans, and come home at night, having had one interesting, fun day! This is what I (and tons of other NYers) do every single weekend. You never know what/who you might see.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:31 AM
E

Cooperstown is great fun, but if you can't at least spend the night there, I, too, would suggest skipping it, as it's just too long a drive for a day trip. (Also, there's enough to do in Cooperstown, and enough nice restaurants, to warrant a 2-night stay in the future.)Spend the day in Manhattan instead, strolling about in the neighborhoods of your choice. Whatever you decide, have a ball!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 10:58 AM

How about combining your love of baseball with a museum here in
NYC? Today a new exhibit opened at the American Folk Art Museum called
"The Perfect Game, America looks at Baseball"

http://www.folkartmuseum.org/
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 11:26 AM

I may be in the minority, but if you never get to the northeast, and this is your only shot at it-get to the Baseball Hall of Fame. For baseball fans, it is fantastic. My family has been to several sports halls of fame and it is the best one. Cooperstown is a lovely town and a great place to spend a long weekend, so, on the other hand, if that might be in your future, save it for when you can spend a weekend there.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:10 PM
donnabee

Don't forget Chinatown, Little Italy, the UN, a walk down 5th Avenue, and Times Square.

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:13 PM

I think that a must do for baseball lovers is the Staten Island Yankees, the minor league division of the NY Yankees. Take the (free!!) terrific Staten Island Ferry from South Ferry across the river to Staten Island - the park is a five minute walk from the station and is modern and extremely convenient. Tickets are cheap. Brooklyn Cyclones are great but a hassle to get to - this way, you get to do the Staten Island Ferry (a new york staple!) plus take in a fun game with a stadium that has great views of the city!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:20 PM

I'd have to agree with wendy and suzanne. By far the most fun is had by strolling through different neighborhoods. You'll be amazed at the things you will find. No matter what your tastes, you'll find something memorable. I recommend spending at least 2 days like this, especially if it's just the 2 of you (i.e. no kids around that you need to keep entertained). Midtown, the village, chinatown....if you want a great italian meal and a chance to rub elbows with the Soprano type set, skip little italy (which has been pretty much enveloped by chinatown anyway) and take the subway to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. Great italian shops, bakeries and little restaurants. Enjoy!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

I have added the american folk art musuem in on Wed. to see the baseball exhibit (thanks Janie)
Also thinking of checking out Shakespear in the park Thurs. (The debate is still on for Cooperstown, despite all the suggestions to skip it.) We are either going to see a Today or GMA concert on Friday morning.

Mickey Mantles is definately on the list, as is the ESPN zone for eats.
Any reviews on Charley O's (near Madison Square Garden)??

You all have given great insight into the ins and outs of NYC. We leave on Friday morning, and with all your help should have a great time.
Last minute tips are welcome!!!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:52 AM

SKIP Charley O's. It's not near Madison Sq-it's in the theater district 10 blocks north. If you need a rest. in that area try the Market Cafe (9th 37-38th) for steak or the Supreme Macaroni Factory (also 9th 38th-39) for fun Italian.