Search

NYC intinerary ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:32 PM
css
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC intinerary ?

Going to NYC, Mom and 15 year old daughter. Arriving on a Tuesday in late June ,late morning. Will go first to the Warwick Hotel (65th & 6 Ave) to drop bags. We want to then go to the Met museum and we have tickets for Wicked ( 51st between Broadway & 8th) that night at 7 pm.
The next day (Wednesday) we hope to window (and maybe real) shop on Columbus Ave, Upper West side, and in Soho/Village.

My daughter wants to eat at Serrendipity 3. Should we go Tuesday before/after museum, before the theatre, or on Wednesday? Thanks so much for the help.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:46 PM

whenever you decide to go, make reservations. you could end up waiting 90 minutes in line. or you can always kill time after signing the list. dylan's candy bar is right around there, one of my particular favorite places to shop

also, i don't know what you know about serendipity 3, but it's a tourist trap. it's crowded (obviously) and noisy, a bit cramped and does not have a good rep for actual food. the desserts though are very good and fairly priced in my opinion, although a lot of people consider them expensive. the frozen hot chocolate is worth every last cent tho.

it's an interesting trek between the met which is on museum mile, east side @ 86th to wicked which is bet broadway (?) & 8th and 51st. it might make more sense to do your window shopping on columbus that day (you might be more interested in going to macy's, aka the largest department store in the world, or 5th avenue for that sort of thing tho, unless you're into boutique shopping).

wed would be good for the museum(s) and serendipity (bloomingdales is also right there as well)... the only down side to all that is you'll probably have to rely on a taxi since the closest subway line on that side of central park is on lexington (of course i'm partial to the trains).

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:20 PM

If your daughter wants to go to Serendipity, GO. I really wanted to go there as well, and I am so glad I did. Make sure you get the frozen hot chocolate and go upstairs to see where the movie was filmed. DO MAKE RESERVATIONS ahead of time, or you might have to wait a long time. Here's their site if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.serendipity3.com

When you go to the Met, make sure you go up to the rooftop to see the rooftop garden. It's incredible with an amazing view of Central Park and the city. I believe access to the roof closes at 5 or so, and whatever you do make sure you have a lot of time at the Met. I've been there two times and always was rushed. We actually went to Serendipity right after we went to the Met. I would say to go to the Met first, then to Serendipity so you can relax and enjoy yourself.

You will probably do a lot of shopping in Times Square- there's a ton of tourist shops there. For window shopping- the Village is my favorite place, and SoHo. Walk down 5th Ave for a lot of the big stores.

I'm 24 and have a brother going to school there, and have gone two times and did a ton of research, and been to a lot of places. I'd love to help if you want to know anything! [email protected]
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:09 PM
GoTravel

I would shop and go to Serendipity the day you arrive before Wicked.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art shouldn't be rushed so I would take me time on that Wednesday.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:12 AM

Not sure what you mean by mid-morning arrival, but I think it might be ambitious to try to fit the Met and making it to the theatre on time in one day. (Does Wicked begin at 7 pm? Most plays begin at 8 pm.) A couple or questions and comments:

1. Are you planning on having lunch after you arrive at the hotel? If so, this will leave you less time at the Met. What about dinner? It might be tough to get in and out of Serendipity in time to make the curtain. You might be better off with a restaurant in the theater district, as they mostly all offer pre-theatre dinners and are experienced in meeting opening times for plays. You could also have dinner in the area after the play as well.

2. I find the MET quite daunting, as it is huge and always crowded. Have you looked at the website to determine what exhibits are on, and if you need tickets for an special exhibit you might be interested in? If you are just interested in parts of their permanent collection, then you usually won't run into crowds. However, the Costume Institute almost always has a line. Take a look at the website at www.metmuseum.org

There are many smaller museums in the area which are more doable in 2-3 hours (esp on your first day after an early-morning flight) and should not be nearly as crowded. A few to consider are:

The Whitney
945 Madison Ave.
(at 75th Street)
(212) 570-3676
Website www.whitney.org

The Frick
1 E. 70th St.
btw Madison & 5th Ave
Phone: (212) 288-0700
Fax: (212) 628-4417
Website www.frick.org

The Guggenheim
1071 Fifth Avenue
at 89th Street
(212) 423-3500
Website at www.guggenheim.org

Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
Two E 91st St. (on 5th Ave)
(212) 849-8400
Website http://www.si.edu/ndm/

American Craft Museum
40 W 53rd St.
(212) 956-3535
Website at americancraftmuseum.org

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:17 AM

I agree with GoTravel & Cicerone that doing the Met when you arrive is probably not the best idea. You'll arrive at the hotel probably later than you expect. I would drop the bags & if it's relatively early go downtown to Soho/Village, or if it's a bit later, do your Columbus Ave. shopping then.

I think of Serendipity as a dessert place although you certainly can eat there. I'd personally go at an off time- maybe mid afternoon.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:29 AM
css
Original Poster

As always you guys are the best. OK, hows this sound? Arrive at the Warwick. Go to either Soho or Columbus Ave (we live in a large city so we have big dept stores and have also done 5th Ave tons.)Wicked is at 7pm on Tues. So I guess we'll catch an early dinner near the theater. Suggestions? Wed morn we do the Met then Serrendipity (her fav) then Dylan;s candy bar then home. Sound good? Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:39 AM

My best advice would be to make reservations and plan where you want to eat. Zagats is always a great help. I was in the city last weekend and did not have dinner reservations. Ended up eating at a subpar Italian place near the theatre district. Serrendipity is fun and I agree that a late afternoon trip there just for dessert would be the way to go. The food is just OK but dessert is great.

Have fun!!!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I would probably drop columbus ave for shopping in favor of spending more time in the SoHo/TriBeCa area, especially if you're mostly going to window shop. That's where most of the designers have their shops. If you're hungering for sweets that day, you should pass by Magnolia Bakery down there. Haven't actually been there by myself, but I've been to its estranged sister bakery Buttercup which in the midtown east side area. Absolutely great stuff.

You'll also probably have quite a bit of fun along Canal Street in terms of actual shopping (just be careful about ending up lugging too much stuff to the theatre, a bag or two is okay).