Search

looking for a "billy joel" experience in NY

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
ks2
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a "billy joel" experience in NY

We're heading to NYC this weekend. It's our first visit, and we generally tend to stay away from the "tourist" type of places. We'd love a real Italian dinner, preferrably sitting outside, where we can hear all the "flavors" of the city and it's people.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Well, there are literally hundreds of places in different neighborhoods. My favorite neighborhood Italian joint was on the Upper East Side -- Zucchero and Pomodori on 2nd Ave between 74th and 75th. I also like Due at 79th and 3rd Ave. But I wouldn't call either of them "destination" restaurants -- meaning if you aren't in the neighborhood, I wouldn't necessarily make a special trip for them.

where will you be and what is your price range?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
ks2
Original Poster

We're staying at the W in Times Square and price isn't really a factor. Just want good and authentic! When we go to Jamaica, we spend $50 for a cab ride to get real jerk chicken for $5.00.
We've got tickets to the ball game on Monday night, which is our reason for the trip. Had to go to a game in Yankee stadium before they tear it down!
thanks for your help.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:43 AM
mp

You might like Lavagna,in the East Village - friendly, neighborhood small restaurant, big doors that open to the sidewalk in nice weather, we had a very good dinner there Sunday night. Or Il Buco, more expensive but good food, too. Atmospheric.

If you are looking for a more red sauce, southern Italian, checked table cloth type of place that has been in business for 40 years, you might like Ballato or Arturo's on Houston Street.

check out menus/prices/locations at www.menupages.com or try www.nymag.com

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Second the recommendations from MP. Arturo's is some of my favorite pizza in NY, and they also have an array of pastas and salads. They have outdoor seating right on the corner of Houston and Thompson with fabulous people watching.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM

I've got 2 recommendations and they are my favorite Italian in the city.

Pomodoro on Columbus and 71st. Lovely restaurant great food and excellent service, nice wine list. Cafe seating outside.

Quatro Gati on 81st just east of 3rd Ave. Outdoor seating, great food and service.

Have a great time while you are here.

To get to Yankee Stadium from where you are staying, take the A train up to 125th St and change to the D which will take you right to the stadium, or for a fun walk take the A to 145th St and walk straight up to 155th and walk over the 155th St bridge directly to the stadium. (It's a safe walk, lots of people will be doing the same thing, and it keeps you out of the crush of people going to the stadium.)
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:20 AM

All good suggestions. Just FYI - the "Italian Restaurant" experience that Billy Joel speaks of, I believe, takes place on Long Island.

Now - if we're talking "New York State of Mind," then you're on to something.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Mister Cacciatores
down on Sullivan Street,
across from the medical center.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
ks2
Original Poster

thanks so much for all the tips. We definitely hope to be in a "New York state of mind" by Saturday evening, leaving California behind for a few days!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Lavagna is a great suggestion. I really liked the food. Had a great dish of pasta there after getting off the plane from Italy.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM

"Mister Cacciatores
down on Sullivan Street,
across from the medical center"

1) I know of no medical center anywhere on Sullivan Street in Manhattan.

2) That lyric is from "Movin' Out" - Not Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.

I had heard that the restaurant in Scenes was based off of Christianos - an Italian Restaurant in Syosset, Long Island.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Frost Restaurant (on Frost Ave) in Greenpoint, Brooklyn (a short cab ride) is great Italian. Lots of locals, good menu and good prices. Then go to Fortunato's on Manhattan Ave. (about 1/2 mile away) for the best Italian pastries and desserts you can imaging. The cannoli's are to die for.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM

By "Billy Joel experience" I thought you meant dating a girl 30 years younger than you, getting drunk and crashing a car.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM

I second Il Buco on Bond Street. Excellent food in a Tuscan farmhouse atmosphere. But if you like eating outdoors and observing a lot of activity, try Spigolo on 2nd Ave on the Upper East Side. The food is outstanding and I don't think they take reservations for outside so you'll be able to get a table (inside is tiny and has probably been booked for weeks.) If you go, ask for some of the homemade breadsticks that they serve at the bar - fabulous!