Reload this Page >

NYC hotels - Need advice on the Helmsley Park Lane and the New York Palace

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Elizabeth

I need information on these two hotels. It is our first time to NYC. We want to have a somewhat luxury hotel that will give us a nice overall experience($300 or less). Thank you

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:28 PM
lisa

Both are nice hotels. The Park Lane is on the Park, although you probably can't get a "deal" on the park view rooms. It is older and in need of a little bit of an update, in my opinion.

If price is equal, I'd go with the Palace hands down. It is a beautiful hotel. Has been recently renovated. The lights are magical at night. It is in a nice location -- near lots of tourist sites, but not in the midst of them. As for a room on a side street -- it will be quieter than those facing Madison Ave (and St. Patrick's Cathedral).

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:35 PM
John Kearns

Elizabeth,
I agree with Lisa. They're both nice but the NY Palace is nicer. Have fun.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Elizabeth

Thank you for the information lisa and John. The rates I found are $243 for the Helmsley with a park view and $245 for the Palace for a standard room and $320 for their executive level which includes breakfast, snacks and drinks throughout the day. If I chose the Palace is it worth it to stay in the executive level? Also is the Helmsley worth it if I have a Park view? Thanks for the help

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Frank

Park view is great in the Spring, Summer and Fall. If you are going between now and April, a park view isn't much. Also if you go with a park view, try to get a high floor.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Neal Sanders

Elizabeth, I've stayed in the excecutive level of the Palace a number of times (it's actually five of the upper floors of the hotel). It offers a breakfast buffet (all cold food), mid-morning snack food, pre-dinner goodies (hot canapes, principally), and an open bar.

The upper floors ensure that, even if you're on the east side of the hotel, you have a view (the lower floors on the east side face into an office building about fifty feet away).

Is it worth an additional $75 for two people? Between the breakfast, snacks, canapes, and drinks, it's certainly $75 of value.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:13 AM
John Kearns

Elizabeth, The view of Central Park is magnificent any time of year but are you really coming to New York to stare out your hotel window? Go for the Palace and get the cheaper room. You can have breakfast and drinks throughout the day outside of the hotel for a lot less than the extra $75!
John

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Vic

The problem with the lounges is that you are kind of tied to them. You feel guilty if you don't get back for afternoon munchies and free drinks. You might be doing something else more interesting if you weren't attracted to the goodies. I've never been to their lounge but they often serve nothing more than the afternoon free stuff that you find at bars.

The other problem with lounges is that you tend to eat enough to ruin dinner but not enough to forego dinner. NYC is no place to forego dinner.

I've stayed at the Palace. My impression is that it is a nice hotel, but not anything near the best that NYC has to offer. It doesn't hold a candle to St. Regis or the Four Seasons as examples.

If you want a real experience you should pop for a great hotel which may not be that much more expensive than the Palace.

In the alternative, while Pricelines 4 star hotels are not the quality of the Palace you may save enough that it doesn't matter and you can spend the difference and go to Le Bernadine.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:31 AM
uuu

upupupup

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:33 AM
uuu

put
Helmsley park lane in the search feature, you'll get much more like these!