NYC Hotel Aug 23 to Aug 26

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Qinzhi

Hi.

I am looking for a 4 star hotel. What should I expect to pay downtown and outside of it?

What are some good recommendations at a decent rate?

Thanks

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Howard

What do you consider a "decent rate"? A 4-star hotel doesn't come cheap in New York.
And, what do you mean by "downtown"?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Caitlin

I assume that by "downtown," you actually mean midtown, which is the main shopping/tourist/hotel district in Manhattan, and the area where most 4-star hotels are located. Unless you stumble on a special promotion or book through a discount site on the internet, expect to pay at least $300 for a double, with prices rising accordingly. That rate may get you a better room at one of the large hotels such as the New York Hilton or the Marriott Marquis. Outside of midtwn, the only other areas with 4-star hotels are Soho/Tribeca, with some especially trendy sites that will certainly be upwards of $300, and Manhattan's actual downtown, which is the financial district. There, prices will be similar to in midtown, thpuugh perhaps less on weekends because the hotels get mostly business travelers. That area is generally pretty empty and dead at night and on weekends, once the Wall Street=types have gone home. No idea what you consider a decent price, but you can find bargains if you are willing to work at it and use the internet. To any price quote, add 13.5% tax and $2/night occupancy fee.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Carl

There are ways to get better rates than Caitlan suggests. Look at discount websites. The best I've used is quickbook.com. The benefit of quickbook is that you don't pay in advance. You pay at checkout as with a regular reservation. I'd also consider using priceline.com. There is a website for users of priceline that gives tips on how to bid and how much to bid (based on other people's results) and it seems that people have been getting 4 star hotels such as the Marriott Marquis for around $100/night which is an unbelievable rate. Another site to look at is playbill.com. To get their hotel discounts, you must register on the site (for free). After registering, look at the members section. They often have 4 star hotels for between $129 and $179.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Carl

Sorry, I forgot to give you the website address for the site that discusses priceline.com. The address is: http://pub4.ezboard.com/bpricelinean...iabidding.html

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Caitlin

Incidentally, I did suggest using the internet to find better rates; I was telling you what the hotels will quote you.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:45 AM
s!

I like the W Hotels in NYC. Great rooms...not too small. There are 4-5 hotels in NYC now. Expect to pay between $200-400. You can get a good rate if you book really soon and check the internet rates. Check www.whotels.com or www.starwood.com

I think the Starwood properties are having a sale. Weekend rates in the finacial disrtict are usually great. I have a jr. suite at the Hilton near the world trade center with a great view and breakfast for around 200 dollars a couple of years ago. Good luck.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Qinzhi

Hi.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I found a Hilton hotel by the World Trade Centre for 104 USD per night for a standard room.

Is it a good deal?
Is it a safe location at night?

Thanks for the help

Qinzhi

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Qinzhi

Hi.

I am booking a hotel for my son. He is 17. Priceline requires checkin age to be at least 21.

Any advice for my son or on the hotel?

Thanks

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:58 AM
rqf

I would say that is a very good deal. It is in the financial district - very busy during the day, quieter at night except when there is some free musical event taking place at the World Trade Center Plaza. If you indicate dates you will be in the city can tell you what free events are being offered during your visit.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Caitlin

The area is safe, though somewhat dead at night. The Hilton is very new; relatives who stayed there in May thought it was very nice. Regarding your son's age, I would speak to the hotel directly via phone or fax, let them know his age and that you, as his parent, are making the reservation and authorizing his stay. As long as they know in advance that he is under 18, I don't think there should be a problem. Regarding Priceline, I imagine their rule is a legal protection against parents whose children might use their credit cards for unauthorized transactions.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:25 AM
phil

The WTC area is fine. Right there will be quite at night but you are just a few blocks south, and within walking distance, of Tribeca. There are some great restaurants in that area.
Expensive (and definately will need a reservation) is Nobu and Montrachet. There is a very cool Spanish restaurant, Flor de Sol, on Greenwich St. and City Hall on Duane St. is usually consistent.

Assuming you are over 21, you may want to grab a cocktail at "The Greatest Bar on Earth" at the top of 2 World Trade Center.

One caveat, I would not call the Hilton a 4 Star hotel, especially not at $104 a night. If you want something much nicer, the Tribeca Grand hotel at Canal St. would be a much better choice. In any case, plan on having a cocktail there!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Howard

To guarantee the reservation for the 27-year-older, you'll probably have to sign a form in advance in which you will give them a credit number and sign the form guaranteeing payment with that credit card.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Howard

Oops, the above posting obviously should read "17-year-older."

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Qinzhi

thanks to all for ur replies.

In case any one wants the site, its www.travelhero.com

I checked with the hotel and they say that min age to check in is 18.

Is it possible to negotiate with the hotel?

Has anyone managed to do this successfully?

Thanks

Qinzhi