Reload this Page >

NYC girls, will these clothes work?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 04:37 PM
country girl

I am a country girl taking my 11 year old son to NYC in November. Will these clothes make me comfortable in NY or should I try again? I thought for Saturday some shopping and museums I'd wear a camel suede blazer with matching turtleneck and suede ankle boots with dark jeans. Then for Mama Mia I'd wear a black wrap wool sweater with black pants. For Sunday mass at St. Patricks would grey or black/white slacks work with a black turtleneck? I know this sounds hokey, but I don't know what to wear. When I go to ny I always feel like my clothes aren't good enough. They are Dana Buchman, Liz Claiborne, Eddie Bauer and some (cringe for some of you )basic talbots. My problem is I'm a size 16-18 and a little self-conscious how I look in the land of beautiful people! I'd appreciate any help!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 04:43 PM
dejahma

Don't sweat it. Your clothes sound fine. We used to live upstate and went to the city on a semi-regular basis. No one will even look at you unless you bring attention to yourself. That's the beauty of the city. Don't be self concious be your own beautiful self.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:29 PM
NYGirl

Sounds fine to me
although the suede might be in danger of wet spots,(it is pouring right now) maybe a wool coat also?

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Julie

Your clothes are fine for New York City. As the previous poster said, nobody will notice what you're wearing. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that people are so busy going about their own business that no one is going to worry about how you're dressed. Have a good time.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:32 PM
traveller

i've seen NYC residents walk around in their pajamas. Okay, just one couple out walking their dog, but still, it was their pajamas. They did put on their sneakers. But still.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:40 PM
marti

Perfect choice of clothing. You'll be more than fine. Wear comfortable walking shoes, leave the new ones at home. Just remember that 60% of American women are size 12 and above. Some of us are not built like Calista Flockhart.

Have a wonderful time and do not forget to eat. We have some great places here in NYC.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:59 PM
x

There was a time that a girl that looked like Calista Flockhart would be either laughed at for being so skinny and ugly or she would be given tonics by doctors to fatten her skinny ass up!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:55 AM
country girl

Thanks everyone, very much! I won't worry about how I look, wear pajamas only inside the hotel(!) and take another coat, or maybe buy one there. I've been wanting a camel car coat! Oh, x, you are too funny and I agree!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:58 AM
country girl

I forgot to add that we will be eating hot dogs, dessert at Serendipity and my son wants to eat at Sardi's before the show! We might even eat breakfast at the Roxy deli.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 05:32 AM
kimmy

Forget Sardi's. Tourist trap. You'd be better off at Joe Allen, John's Pizzeria, Ollie's (Chinese) or Orso.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Sam

Forget the suede, especially if you're trying to travel light. At this time of year, you're likely to run into damp weather that 's very unn-suede-friendly. Plus, especially a light color like camel, you'll be worried about getting it dirty, and what you'll wear if you do.

That's why New Yorkers love black! Just bring the black pants (that you mentioned for Mamma Mia) and a couple of tops.

Also, even the most fashion-conscious New Yorkers don't have x-ray vision to see your clothing labels. Stick to basics (even Talbot's, LOL) that you feel comfortable in.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 10:16 AM
suzanne

I agree with Sam about the suede...especially footwear. It will get ruined in the puddles, and will get seriously dirty if it's not black.

Camel suede jackets and blazers seem to be very hot right now! Though people aren't wearing them much yet (not cold enough) the stores are full of them. If you wear yours, be sure to always carry an umbrella so it won't get ruined if it rains.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Sue

I haven't figured out how everyone walks around in those boots with heels. Ouch!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 08:36 PM
nycnyc

Sounds fabulous to me, if it's dry, but do bring an alternative if raining. And comfy shoes, unless you're cabbing it everywhere.

You'll look more dressed up than many natives.