Search

NYC girl's weekend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Barbara

NYC girl's weekend

Two friends and daughters visiting for weekend 3/9 to 3/12, to celebrate the girl's 10th birthday's, and Mom's 40th. Please advise:
1.Crowne Plaza Broadway vs. UN location (using freq. stayer points to pay for room)
2. Beauty and the Beast or Lion King. Can we wait to purchase tickets at TKTS for Friday night or Sat matinee or should we reserve in advance?
3. Length of time needed to do Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
4. Restaurants/activities good for "older" 10 year olds.
5. Driving in from PA-Should we park at hotel or is there cheaper long term parking?
Thanks!!!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 08:02 AM
annK

You should have a great weekend here, the weather is starting to get a bit warmer and we have no snow on the ground, well not right now anyway, lol.

The Crown Plaza is probably a better bet than the UN, easier to get around and more to do in that area.

If you want to see those shows you may already be out of luck those are still sold out shows, so call ticketmaster for ticket availablity. If you have other shows you want to see TKTS is certainly the best way to get tickets at a reasonable rate.

There is LOTS playing on Broadway right now, so TKTS should have some options for you.

Restaurants for kids in your immediate area, oh there are SO MANY so you won't have a problem, but for a fun evening try the Stardust Cafe, singing servers and your girls may be invited up to sing too. Diner food there and ok prices.

Try America on 18th St. between 5th and Broadway for Brunch on Sat or Sun they have a magician that does amazing tricks.

You also might want to try the South St. Seaport for a day's aventure and there are several good restaurants in that area, or walk up to Chinatown.

I would suggest taking the train up instead of driving, it is not cheap to park in the city in that area, figure $20-$30 a day.

On Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, I would suggest taking the Staten Island Ferry over in the early evening you get a great view of the Statue of Liberty. Going over to see the statue will take a big part of your day.

IF you want to do Ellis Island, get there EARLY am, the line is much shorter and you will have more time to do more.

Have a fun trip.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Caitlin

Actually, Beauty and the Beast is very often available at the half-pricecounter and I doubt you'd have a problem getting tickets for it one day while you're here. It's no doubt too late for Lion King tix.

What kinds of food and activities do the daughters like? Knowing would help us make good suggestions.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 09:17 AM
howard

The Crowne Plaza is definitely a better location for the tourist weekend you have planned.
As for theater, Caitlin is right about The Lion King. Your chances are slim to non-existent.
However, a word of caution about waiting on Beauty and the Beast tickets. They may, or may NOT, be awailable at TKTS for weekend performances. You're taking a chance. I would guess that Friday night might be easier than Saturday matinee. The youngsters would also probably enjoy The Music Man, which again may or may be available at TKTS. It's really a tough one to call.
Also, remember, if you do go to the half-priced booth, the Saturday morning lines are very long. Get there by 9-9:15, even though it doesn't open until 10. Otherwise, you'll wait a long time and have fewer choices.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Chris

Definitely the Crowne Plaza Broadway ... and do NOT do the Statue of Liberty -- kiss a half day or more goodbye, just waiting. Ellis Island is wonderful, but two ten year olds will get antsy. As said above, do the Staten Island Ferry instead for a thrill and wonderful views.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 10:27 AM
m

other good shows for 10 yr old: kiss me kate, phantom, les Mis, annie get your gum and off-b'way, the Fantastics (great for pre-teen girls, and frequently available on the tkts line). You can get matinee tickets the day before on the tkts line in the world trade center and if you get there around noon, the line moves quickly. check the website nytoday.com, click on theater on the top part of the screen, it has lots of info on ticket availability, reviews, etc.
Take the girls for a walk in the village/soho area. my daughter's favorite store is on prince street off of west broadway, it used to be call 'so what', now it's called 'girls stuff' (or something like that). you can't miss it, its down a few stairs and has all kind of stuff on the outside of the store. it sells mostly inexpensive jewelry and hair accessories. that whole area is fun to walk around and check out cute little shops and places to eat.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Patrick

Ah yes, the famous "annie get your gum", the long awaited sequel to Annie, in which the red haired moppet loses her Double Bubble in Daddy Warbuck's Rolls and it blows bubbles as it drives up Park Avenue.
My apologies to "m", I just couldn't resist since your typo came out so great.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 01:24 PM
howard

Actually, Annie Get Your Gun wouldn't be a bad choice. Reba McEntyre just went into the title role and got raves from the critics (including the NY Times).

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Barbara`

Thanks Ann K, Caitlin, howard, Chris, m and patrick for taking the time to give us your great suggestions.My daughter is even more excited about the trip after reading them. I wondered if anyone would know of any discount codes for Beauty and the Beast tickets for that weekend, as we might want to get them ahead of time. Thanks again!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:28 PM
vince

Hey. I want to come. No fair!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Karen

Instead of going to Statue Of Liberty and Ellis Island, take the Circle Line Tour on the boat around Manhatten. The commentary is terrific and the tour and sights are great...I can't remember the length of the trip, but probably around an hour and half.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:41 PM
NY native

Re the Circle Line. Don't take the one that goes all around Manhattan. Take the shorter one that goes around the tip of the city and the statue. The long one takes forever and the trip up the east river takes forever. My ten year olds have seen both beauty and lion king. Lion King was fantastic, but they enjoyed beauty very much. have fun.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:27 PM
lp

I just took my eight year old to see Beauty and the Beast for a X-mas present. I've seen many shows on Broadway and it was truly one of my favorite. Your daughter would love it (mom included!). I took my daughter to eat at Ellen's Stardust Diner a few blocks from the theater and it was perfect for her age! Have a great time!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Harriett

As a native of Nashville, I was intrigued to see that Reba McEntyre is doing "Annie." How is it, really? And what's the correct spelling of her last name - "McEntyre' just doesn't look right - isn't there an 'I' in there somewhere?

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:42 PM
howard

My apologies, Harriett. You are right, there is an "i" in there. Her last name is spelled "McEntire. Hey, what do I know--I'm a big city boy!
And, not to confuse anyone, she's in "Annie Get Your Gun," not "Annie"!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Nu Yawker

If you are on a tight schedule and/or budget, may I suggest forgoing the Statue of Liberty ride. Instead, ride the Staten Island ferry for free, in one hour round trip... unless, of course, you really want to go in the Statue. The SI Ferry will take you right past Lady Liberty with great views of skyline, Brooklyn, numerous bridges, NJ, Governors Isle and more.
You also will save a bundle of cash and avoid tourist city.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 01:19 PM
nattive ny'er

I agree with the above re state island ferry, museum of natural history, and beauty or annie get your gun-both great for 10 year olds. have fun

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 02:06 PM
coco

I think you and your daughters might enjoy a little birthday party at the tea room at McKenzie-Childs (the ceramics people). I know they recently moved to a new location further up Madison (now around 75th maybe) and have not ascertained if they still have the tea room, but worth checking out. An Alice-thru-the-looking-glass experience (in the good sense). Their "cake decorating for 2" is just the thing. The other tea offerings are also quite wacko and you would have a great time.