NYC for 2 days. Here's the plan...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the suggestions about the seating for Hairspray. That's all settled, and now, since we have just 2 days in NYC, (August) thought I'd get some input on our possible 2 day game plan. Not much time I know. (Who knows, we may NEED to stay a 3rd day...)

Here's the "shed-yule"
Day 1 - arrive about 11AM Hope to check in hotel at that time (Gorham)
Unwind for a few minutes, then check out the sites:
Grand central Terminal
Rockefeller Ctr
Empire Strate
Chyrsler Bldg
Dinner - Not sure where yet. Maybe just pizza somewhere.
Hairspray - 8 PM
Serendipity -If Open after the show. Anyone know?

Day 2
Bfast downstairs
Central park - Short Walk in the park in the morning. It's not far from the hotel.
Shopping and museums (Girls shopping, DH to Museums...)
Dinner? - Thinking about Chinatown. However, want to do the Circle Line evening tour. Perhaps something in the village instead?
Circle Line tour

So, are we doing too much, not enuf? Need tweaking? Again, me, DH and 13 y/o daughter.

Thanks in advance!

Old May 29th, 2003, 06:39 AM
mabel

Sounds like you've budgeted your time pretty well, but everything is in midtown and upper Manhattan. I would suggest heading south to the West Village or Soho, at least for a meal. Don't know what type of food you're into, so I can't suggest something specific... But check out www.chowhound.com and read some of the suggestions posted there. It's a site for serious foodies, and I've found the best of the best in New York there. Soho is great for just walking around on a weekend during the day. I can't afford anything in the shops, but it was one of my favorite lazy day activities when I first moved to New York. I'd skip Chinatown, especially on hot August days, when the crowds are dizzying, as is the fish stench in some places. The Circle Line tour is supposed to be quite good, but I'm wary of it (especially for such a short visit), since you're just looking at NYC instead of living it. Might as well just rent a movie.

Old May 29th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Serendipity is indeed open late and will be hopping! Fun choice.
I would also skip Chinatown for dinner, something about the streets, the scent and the August heat is unpleasant
I would give Chinatown a quick tour, maybe shop with your 13 yr old for art supplies or some interesting souvenirs then go on to either Little Italy for dinner (we like Lunas) or to Soho where there are many many good places and fun places to eat a good dinner.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Austin,
Just an f.y.i about Serendipity....expect to wait at least an hour to get in, especially if you'll be there on a weekend nite.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:17 AM

If you know what time you will be at Serendipity, make reservations!
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:19 AM

http://www.serendipity3.com/

here is the phone number and some info..
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:22 AM

Austin, a few alternate suggestions. 2 days is such a short time, I'm not sure you're hitting what I would consider the highlights. I would check into the hotel (or just drop your bags if room isn't ready) and get on a 5th Ave bus heading downtown to Greenwich Village. Sit (or stand) on the left side of the bus as you get in-the right side as you're facing forward). You will pass on the bus Rockefeller Center (50th st. on the right side) & the Empire State building (34th st also on the right side). Get off at Washington Square Park at 1 Fifth Ave. This area is right near NYU & your daughter will like it. Pretty townhouses surrounding the park. Have a quick walk through the park and head right (west) toward Bleeker St. Go to John's Pizzeria (Bleeker between 6th & 7th) for late lunch. Roam around Bleeker St. & the village. Take a 6th Ave bus back uptown & get off at 34th St. Walk toward 5th Ave where you'll find the Empire State & go to the top of the Empire State building (buy tickets ahead of time on the web so you don't have to stand on line.) Head back to the hotel to freshen up for the theater. If you're hungry, grab a sandwich or snack to take back to the hotel. Yes, Serendipity will be open after the theater. They have burgers etc. as well as desserts if you're hungry.

On day 2, go to Norma's for breakfast in the Parker Meridien hotel. It's expensive but huge quantities of food that will set you up for the day. From there, DH (is that darling husband-I never know?) can head uptown to museums while you & daughter can hit the shops. If you walk to 5th ave you'll find Henri Bendel at 56th (great cosmetics dept. & cute accessories & clothes), maybe have a walk through Tiffany (57th across from Bendels). H & M is on 5th Ave around 50th (near Rock Center) for inexpensive clothes for both of you.

If your husband is going to the Metropolitan museum, plan to meet him at a store called Infinity (Madison ave. & 83rd)-great clothes for a 13 yr old. From there, have a walk through Central Park heading downtown. If it's not too late try to stop at the zoo in the park (If you don't want to go uptown, meet him at the zoo).

Take your cruise (I'd do the 2 hr semi-circle from 42nd st at 3:30 or 4:30 on weekends) or the harbor lights at 7pm. I'd suggest Becco for dinner (reserve now) which is an Italian pasta place on 46th betw. 8th & 9th-$21.95-not too far from the pier where the cruise is.

While Grand central & the Chrysler building are worth a look, they're not really convenient to other things & in 2 days they're not IMO a necessity Have a ball.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:25 AM

I think it's a very doable itinerary and agree that you should definitely try dinner in the Village. It's easy enough to just walk around and find places that are in your price range and have open tables.

You might consider just the evening "Harbor Lights" tour on Circle Line - it's about 45 minutes and coincides with sunset. You'll see the major highlights that the longer tours get and it's a great time of day to be on the water. If you can deal with eating late, you might consider just havign a snack or some pizza eraly evening and then wandering in the Village to find a place for a late dinner after the cruise. At that age my daughjter though it was totally cool and worldly to be eating at an outside table in the Village at 10PM with the restaurants still full and the sidewalks flooded with people. Despite the potential stench I still recommend a Chinatown - it's part of the quintessential NYC experience.
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Great suggestions. You are right, we need to check out the Village. I remember when I lived in NYC (Grad Skool) it was my favorite place. I think we will skip Chinatown and do the Village for some sights, shopping and eating. Makes sense. I think we can skip some of the other sights, but will keep the Empire State Bldg on the list.

It is the Harbor Lights 7 PM tour that we want to do. We'll be there on a Thrs. eve. Wednesday for Hairspray. Will we still need a reservation for a Wed. nite at Serendipity if we only want dessert?

Thanks everyone. I've put your suggestions in my NYC folder.
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:13 AM

yes, honey, dessert is really the reason to eat at Serendipity so do make those reservations!
Someone must order a Frozen Hot Chocolate and the Hot Fudge Sundae isn't bad either!Enjoy~
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Gawd Scarlett, got me drooling. STOP IT!

Okay, will check on the time for Hairspray to end and add a bit and make the reservation.
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

By the way Scarlett...I have some faux photos for you. You can email me at [email protected] Remember me?
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:57 AM

OMG!! Lisa!! Hi

ok, send them to [email protected]
yay
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:58 AM

I don't know my own email addy
[email protected]
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Interestingly enuf, I sent the email to both. Scarletto1 didn't look right so I sent it again to Scarlett01...
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Hi Austin. Have you been helping me with the smiley faces??? Thanks !
Found this posting as my family and I are coming to NY in Aug. I found your itinerary very useful...Will earmark this as ideas for us too..thanks
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:35 PM

((&)) Pup and I hope to see you both in August!

Austin, I got the email at scarletto1
thank you, I loved them!

Old May 29th, 2003, 05:55 PM

A "fun pass" that allows all day riding on the buses and subways is $6. It saves time and energy.....can see some sights too. Pick it up at a visitors center or ask at the hotel.
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Nettie, you might be better off taking note of what others have suggested. I think their ideas plus some of mine are much better than my original! I'll add a day of the Village, SOHO before the circle Line Tour.

Hope you enjoy your trip. Perhaps we will share trip reports here when we return. Where are you staying?
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:34 PM

I note that you are at The Gorham, which was one of my choices, but we plumped for The Kimberly, not much in it I don't think. It seemed a little bigger and has complimentary access to the NY Health and Racquet club that has a pool, which might be nice for my children if they have had enough of sightseeing. We will have to take it a bit slower as my youngest is 5. I'm sure we'll all have a great time !